Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Accident repairs

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident repairs

Guys,

First thanks to everyone who posted on this forum. A lot of the info was helpful in choosing a new car. Did tons of research and test drove a bunch of cars. Finally settled on a used 2011 S5 prestige with that beautiful V8 sound. Had the car 10 days and some clown in an old beater turned left in front of me at an intersection and CRUNCH. Car is no longer drive-able with the front totally destroyed and the radiator cracked. Engine compartment looks good but we'll see when the mechanic gets a better look. Here are my two questions -
1 - Are there any things I should be looking at after they repair the car to ensure there are no hidden issues? Driving feel, little things to check when I get the car, anything subtle that would indicate the job was not done completely.
2 - The police officer from the start seemed to be toward it being my fault. I'm in my 30's, from out of town, and driving a nicer car (though not like a Ferrari or something) and he was older, local, and driving an old truck. He clearly pulled across my lane and the officer still sited me for it. Anyone experienced something similar? Is this just part of the deal when you're in a small town driving a nicer car.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

#1. I would go to a reliable Audi dealer (do you have your own ?) and get them to either take it in as a repair or recommend and set up an appointment with their preferred body shop. There is so much involved in front end collisions I would want a place that is qualified and has a relationship with Audi. What does your insurance carrier say?
#2. Sometimes. Some years back I had a situation where I was parked at a small super market in upstate NY and a really old woman (90's) pulled through the parking spaces to get to her preferred up-front spot. In the process she side swiped three cars including mine. The local cop was arguing that there were no witnesses so he couldn't write down that she hit us, since the woman told him she wasn't ware that she hit anything. I told him repeatedly I had seen it from being online inside the supermarket and made the clerk look as well, but he dallied and would not let any of us talk to the woman - he protected her. Luckily I saw a NYS Trooper driving by and waved him over. He took charge and there were real accident reports. It turns out the old lady owns the auto dealership where that town buys its police cruisers and her son a retired local police chief. I was labeled as a "down stater" by the local policeman as he talked to me and to the State Trooper - why did that matter, I was legally parked and spending my money in that town.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

2. another good reason to have a dash cam.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jrabakker
2. another good reason to have a dash cam.
I have one now, that incident was like 12 years ago.
I am not sure the dash cam would have helped in a door handle to door and rear fender panel side swipe. They are good to have though, no doubt about it.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

1. If there is that much front end damage there may be frame damage as well. You should make sure to have it looked at very carefully. Also you should get compensation for Diminished Value. This is how much less your car is worth because it was in an accident.

2.It is the person turning left's responsibility to clear the intersection before proceeding. Where was your ticket issued? What exactly was the citation for?

Where is it being fixed? You should make sure they use only new Audi OEM parts.

Feel free to send me a private message if you need an attorney or a shop/dealer to look at the car in Chicago.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the responses so far. To answer a few questions -
1 - the front end was completely smashed. I was looking at my newly leaking radiator as soon as I pulled our of the intersection. My insurance company gave me no recommendations for repairs so I called the local Audi dealer and they recommended a local shop that they use. Figured it was the best bet given I was in small town Ohio and had no way to get my car back home to Chicago. I will make sure only OEM parts are used, have them check the engine compartment and talk to my insurance company about diminished value...which is something I was concerned about. All good calls.

2 - maybe a dash cam is a good investment when I get the car back. The citation was for the Milford, Ohio equivalent of chasing a yellow light. The other guy was in the intersection but so was I when the light turned yellow and he pulled in front of me. The officer brought up the clearing the intersection issue which makes sense. I explained I was already in the intersection too when he turned but she went with the other guy's story. She interviewed him first and let him go before asking for my story so it was already set in her mind who was at fault.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

If the 2 of you were in the same place at the same time, how is it possible that you were "chasing" a yellow and he wasn't? Sounds like you need to fight the citation before you file with the insurance company.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good advice to fight it. It is my belief cops will always/usually assume that someone with a fast, capable car was "pushing it" in whatever the specific situation. When I had a deer hit last summer the state policeman asked how fast I was going. I said "right on the limit, 65." He took a long slow look at my A6 and said "sure, in this", then added "that's what they all say." It is in some senses a reality for anyone with a nice car - profiling you might call it.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you receive a ticket? What were you cited for? It seems the cop bought the other guy's story that the light had turned red, that the guy turning left proceeded after the last car had come through under the yellow, and then you came through the red light and hit him. It's impossible to ascertain who's fault it was, but the fact that you got a ticket and the other fellow didn't doesn't bode well. So - did you receive a ticket for running a red light?