Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Air Freshener - Nauseating

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Freshener - Nauseating

Note to self: When taking 2015 S5 into Audi for a wash, always specify NO AIR FRESHENER. I actually still had semi-new car smell before today. Now it smells like a taxi. Even my clothes smell like this.

I just want to go back to a restore point from this morning.

Audi dude said it should "dissipate" in a day or two and said their new policy is air freshener unless asked not to, which is the polar opposite policy from six months ago. In any case, it doesn't feel like it's going to dissipate anytime soon. Can anyone recommend a remedy? Thx in advance.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Most air fresheners are not only hideous...

… but likely unhealthy as well.

My choice is a small spritz of Griot's Fresh Leather after I detail the interior. It has a very subtle leather smell - so nice…

Interior Car Scent, 4 Ounces - Griot's Garage
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2016, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks I'll check it out. So you're saying new car smell *can* be duplicated? Anything's gotta be better than this perfumy mess.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I'd go after the dealership in small claims court for damages.

Originally Posted by Jack Dawson
Note to self: When taking 2015 S5 into Audi for a wash, always specify NO AIR FRESHENER. I actually still had semi-new car smell before today. Now it smells like a taxi. Even my clothes smell like this.

I just want to go back to a restore point from this morning.

Audi dude said it should "dissipate" in a day or two and said their new policy is air freshener unless asked not to, which is the polar opposite policy from six months ago. In any case, it doesn't feel like it's going to dissipate anytime soon. Can anyone recommend a remedy? Thx in advance.
If the dealership won't destink your car, try a detail shop and sue the dealership for the cost of the destink.

Even if you said no air freshener and they did it, then what are you going to do?
There are ozone generators that will essentially kill the 'freshener' smell but your new car smell is gone.

I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode where the car parking/valet guy had a bad case of BO and Seinfeld made a whole show about it. Pretty funny.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I always specify "no air freshener" when I take my S5 in for a wash.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
If the dealership won't destink your car, try a detail shop and sue the dealership for the cost of the destink.

Even if you said no air freshener and they did it, then what are you going to do?
There are ozone generators that will essentially kill the 'freshener' smell but your new car smell is gone.

I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode where the car parking/valet guy had a bad case of BO and Seinfeld made a whole show about it. Pretty funny.
That stink in Jerry's BMW. I remember it well! One of the best episodes ever!
Old 05-06-2016, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a cigar guy. My cars smell anywhere from faintly to strongly of cigars.

I use ozium spray to neutralize odors. Not 'new car' smell, but effective at eliminating odors.

I did try one of the $20 (amazon) car ionizers. The high pitch whine was too annoying if the radio wasn't cranked, so I returned it before determining if it was effective. But people who like them, really like them.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

"new car smell" to me smells like a fresh open bag of coffee. I kid you not... Buy a bag of starbucks, open er' up and stick it in the back seat overnight.

I also had someone tell me to cut a grapefruit in half and stick it under the seat for 24hrs. The grapefruit will absorb any odors. Couldn't hurt...