Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Anyone come from a G37s coupe to the v6 S5

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone come from a G37s coupe to the v6 S5

Hi all, I've been in the market for a used S5 (v6) for a few months now. I currently drive a 2009 G37s coupe and while I have been generally satisfied with the car, I am displeased with its manual gear box and lack of low end torque.
If I proceed, I would be getting a S5 with a auto tranny (practicality reasons).
While I have test driven the S5, my time behind the wheel has obviously been limited.
I'm was hoping that perhaps someone reading this has come from a G37 coupe and could comment on the following:
-steering feel (feedback)
-handling
-most importantly, the "fun factor"

I have an opportunity to close the deal on a 2013 s5 with sport diff tomorrow but am now getting nervous that a month or so in I may regret my decision based on the aforementioned 'factors'

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-28-2015, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I had an '09 G37s Coupe. It has been a long time since I owned it, so the memory of the car is fading, but I never enjoyed it as much as my S5. We now have a '13 G37 Vert and the S5 blows it away, not only in the limitless torque it offers but in the general "fun factor". With the sport differential the car handles like it's on rails. The interior fit/finish can't even be compared. The S5 wins hands down. Also, I find there is lots less road noise in the S5. The only advantage I see with the G37 is that it is bulletproof, but aside from that there is no comparison. While the G37 Coupe is a great car, the S5 is a huge step up. I'd say go for it!

P.S. We've owned 9 Infinitis, from G37 Coupe to Convertible to M45 and M35 to FX35. We've also owned 3 Audis... '10 S5 Cab, '11 S5 Cab, '15 S5 Coupe. I've loved the Audis the most.

Last edited by dseag2; 06-28-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have to admit I'm a bit apprehensive going from a very reliable car to an unknown. The car I'm considering is a 2013 and its a cpo. So I would have the extended warranty to alleviate the anxiety.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default So lease it, don't buy it. Audi has great lease deals.

Originally Posted by Dabozo
Hi all, I've been in the market for a used S5 (v6) for a few months now. I currently drive a 2009 G37s coupe and while I have been generally satisfied with the car, I am displeased with its manual gear box and lack of low end torque.
If I proceed, I would be getting a S5 with a auto tranny (practicality reasons).
While I have test driven the S5, my time behind the wheel has obviously been limited.
I'm was hoping that perhaps someone reading this has come from a G37 coupe and could comment on the following:
-steering feel (feedback)
-handling
-most importantly, the "fun factor"

I have an opportunity to close the deal on a 2013 s5 with sport diff tomorrow but am now getting nervous that a month or so in I may regret my decision based on the aforementioned 'factors'

Thanks in advance!
I'll probably never buy another Audi.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

My 2 cents:

With all respect to SloopJohn, I would not not buy an Audi; like that double negative I drove the G37 and ISF in my quest for a car along with Mercedes AMG, BMW 330 (M3 was too much car for what I wanted). I did not like the interior look or the general feel of either Japanese car; they seemed to have cut corners. Maybe I'm a German snob, but all three German cars felt more solid and I liked the interiors. It came down to a matter of taste in the individual packages that led me to the Audi.

As far as low end torque, maybe coming from an old 300ZX turbo with lots of turbo lag taints me, but I find the amount of low end torque in the S5 to be plenty for street use and I drive the manual. The shift indicator tells me to shift at 1800 RPMs! The Audi has 70 more ft-lbs of torque (20 to 25% higher than the G37) and the weights are within 100 to 200 lbs.

As far as reliability, I think Audis have an undeserved bad reputation. I am on my fifth one and have not had reliability issues with them.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lyleswk
My 2 cents:

With all respect to SloopJohn, I would not not buy an Audi; like that double negative I drove the G37 and ISF in my quest for a car along with Mercedes AMG, BMW 330 (M3 was too much car for what I wanted). I did not like the interior look or the general feel of either Japanese car; they seemed to have cut corners. Maybe I'm a German snob, but all three German cars felt more solid and I liked the interiors. It came down to a matter of taste in the individual packages that led me to the Audi.

As far as low end torque, maybe coming from an old 300ZX turbo with lots of turbo lag taints me, but I find the amount of low end torque in the S5 to be plenty for street use and I drive the manual. The shift indicator tells me to shift at 1800 RPMs! The Audi has 70 more ft-lbs of torque (20 to 25% higher than the G37) and the weights are within 100 to 200 lbs.

As far as reliability, I think Audis have an undeserved bad reputation. I am on my fifth one and have not had reliability issues with them.
Yes, the S5, particularly with the V6S engine, seems to have had very few issues.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
My 2 cents:

I think you missed the Subject statement that he said to lease and not buy.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ugh. Went for an extended test drive and walked away to think about it. 24 hours later and I'm getting cold feet about the DSG tranny.
As I'm coming from a 6mt im beginning to fear that perhaps theDSG novelty will wear off and I'll miss that 'connection' with the car.
6mt s5's are super scarce around here though.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How are you going to use the car???

I have had both transmissions on S5's. In my previous world of rural twisty traffic, I loved my 6-speed manual. In my current world of Los Angeles traffic during the week and flinging through the canyons on weekends, the 7-speed S-tronic is really sublime. It is just so precise and I swear it is telepathic.

I test drive the G35/37s every time I get ready to trade in an Audi and I do love the car, but ONLY in manual transmission form. One of the nicest and distinctive OEM exhaust sounds around.

No interest in a NISMO 370Z? What a fine car (I have had two Z-cars). I don't quite fit at 6'4" - boy have I tried...

My wife, who is a passionate driver herself, is considering a G37s on our next exchange. It would save us a couple of hundred dollars a month, bringing our total car budget closer to a 911GTS in place of my RS5. If we do that, she drives the 911 to work and we share it on the weekends.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 07-01-2015, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes i do love the exhaust note on my G37. Unmistakable.

Before the G37 I had a 2004 G35 auto and absolutely loved the car (the exhaust note was even better imo), but regretted it not being manual. Which was why i jumped to the G37 manual.
In my original post i stated that the S5 would need to be auto for practicality reasons (so i could interchange vehicles with my wife, she has a suv). However, at the risk of possibly becoming bored with a auto, maybe i will just force her to learn to drive a manual....just not on the s5 lol...too bad i couldn't rent a manual car for this purpose...

im test driving the only manual s5 i could find in my area tomorrow...a 2013 aswell. Although the dealer is beating around the bush when i asked for the car proof...so im not holding my breath on this one. But at least i will get to get a sense for how the manual feels..

Quick Reply: Anyone come from a G37s coupe to the v6 S5