Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Anyone running Conti Extreme Contact DWS on their RS5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Anyone running Conti Extreme Contact DWS on their RS5?

Hey guys, curious if anyone is running DWS tires on their RS5 (20" wheels.) Love this tire since it can do just about everything weather wise and still had decent performance in the summer. Haven't decided if I am going to toss on some DWS or just get the dedicated snow tire route. thx
Old 10-30-2014, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like you already have some experience with them so this may be useless info. I don't have them on an RS5, but I put them on my X5 4.6is with 20s two years ago. My biggest take away is that they are great all seasons, do a great job in snow, and are quiet. The only downside is that they are definitely soft in comparison to dedicated summers. They feel almost mushy and cornering suffers. Not a big deal on my SUV, but may be a bummer on the RS5. You may have a lower profile than my 315/30 rears too which may help.

All in all, amazing tire for the money.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jab23
Sounds like you already have some experience with them so this may be useless info. I don't have them on an RS5, but I put them on my X5 4.6is with 20s two years ago. My biggest take away is that they are great all seasons, do a great job in snow, and are quiet. The only downside is that they are definitely soft in comparison to dedicated summers. They feel almost mushy and cornering suffers. Not a big deal on my SUV, but may be a bummer on the RS5. You may have a lower profile than my 315/30 rears too which may help.

All in all, amazing tire for the money.
Thanks, yeah I run them on my Touareg in the summer (but still switch to a Blizzak in the winter months)... for the Touareg they do great but slightly different application. I'm in Seattle.. truth is the roads are wet 70+% of the time... so even in the summer a "summer tire" doesn't get too many opportunities to shine on dry roads.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too live in Seattle and still have the Pirellis on. Trying to figure out what to do as the temp begins to drop. Other option would be to sipe?
Old 11-11-2014, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gregtay
Hey guys, curious if anyone is running DWS tires on their RS5 (20" wheels.) Love this tire since it can do just about everything weather wise and still had decent performance in the summer. Haven't decided if I am going to toss on some DWS or just get the dedicated snow tire route. thx
I put them on my Q5 and they were horrid in the snow. Never lost control but it was pure white knuckle driving (rabbit ears pass - Steamboat) and one trip from Colorado to Seattle and back in a huge snow storm. Could not get snow tires as I discovered it too late to buy the size I needed. But the next winter I started running snows for winter.

I also run snows on my RS4 the past four years.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

I have DWS on my RS since november'13. Very happy with them and highly recommend if you want to skip dedicated snow tires! Good grip in snow and in recent arctic cold here in CO (went down to -14F!!)..They are also good on wet & dry and hot condition summer time! Fantastic tire!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This will be my third winter with DWS's on my S5. They are perfect all seasons for where I live here in No. VA. Obviously with the clearance on an S5 you're not going to plowing through fresh show over few inches, but they work well for me.

We happened to get a couple feet last February and the plows just barely made it passable. Roads were awful for a week but that didn't stop me and the DWS's.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by toramo1
This will be my third winter with DWS's on my S5. They are perfect all seasons for where I live here in No. VA. Obviously with the clearance on an S5 you're not going to plowing through fresh show over few inches, but they work well for me.

We happened to get a couple feet last February and the plows just barely made it passable. Roads were awful for a week but that didn't stop me and the DWS's.
How is the tread life???

I just put them on my wife's A5 (19s) --- they're a nite and day difference noise and comfort-wise from the crap summer Dunlops - she's in Houston so will never see snow.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Winter wheels and tires

This is my second RS5 and I purchased wheels and tires for winter. I’ve had pretty good luck with a set of Pirelli Sottozero.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

it's funny, if you look these up on TIRERACK - there's an actual video review showing they are great in the snow; but on ConsumerReports site they say they are horrible in the snow.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Anyone running Conti Extreme Contact DWS on their RS5?