Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi A5 Coupe 2007 Bose Amplifier Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A5 Coupe 2007 Bose Amplifier Removal

Hi,

Ive had the common Audi a5 Coupe problem (57 plate) where water has got onto the amp, that's located in the left hand side of the boot. My windows are not tinted and I cant see where the water is coming from but I have white spot marks on top of the amplifier telling me the water damage is coming from the top so I can only assume at the moment its coming down the arm of the boot or its coming through the window seal. My MMI was working then started to crackle, even with the engine off. Now my MMI (2G) just shows the splash screen and then nothing. Ive used VAGS but it cannot get to the device as it cannot be reached. So, ive done a Optical Bus Diagnostic:-

Optical Bus Diagnostic : Standard
Controller Electrical Optical
19-CAN Gateway OK OK
07-Control Head(High/D3) OK OK
0E-Media Player 1 OK OK
77-Telephone OK OK
47-Sound System ERROR ERROR
56-Radio OK ERROR
37-Navigation OK OK
0F-Digital Radio(DAB) OK OK

I want to remove the amp to see if I can find the part number that I need as I assume its on the underside of the amp and I know a company that if you send off to them will try to fix it. Im assuming that the problem with my MMI is the amp, as its a common problem with the a5 coupe based on the location of the amp. However I haven't the foggiest how to remove the amp because its quite a small opening. Can anyone send me any guidelines or a video on how to do this? I really don't want to send it to the dealers to get my pants took down. Also does anyone know where I can get the water deflector that you can add? Thanks in advance
Old 03-31-2015, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

can you take a picure of it? I have B&O but it can't be that different. There were just a few screws that need to be removed. If it's like mine in any way, the amp itself screwed to the mounting bracket in the cubby hole.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mr. Spectacular
can you take a picure of it? I have B&O but it can't be that different. There were just a few screws that need to be removed. If it's like mine in any way, the amp itself screwed to the mounting bracket in the cubby hole.
Thanks for replying. Ive attached the images. Also what did you use to take the amp out, ie torx allen key? T driver, etc. Reason why i ask im about to order the specific tool to take it out as i dont have it. Funny thing is, i thought i had all the tools in the world, but i dont own anything torx related. And finally, did you disconnect the battery first?
Attached Images    
Old 04-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

don't think you need to have the battery disconnected. I did but I was doing a speaker install and had doors and trunk open for an extended period of time. You should be able to use a Torx T25 to undo those screws. I just used a bit attached to a hand tool. you'll need to fully unscrew at each fastened corner before it will come out.

Let me know how it goes!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the quick reply, attempting to do it at the weekend. Wish me luck lol
Old 04-01-2015, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by daywalkerzero
Thanks for the quick reply, attempting to do it at the weekend. Wish me luck lol
you got it! take pics so in case others are looking for the same answers you are.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

willdo
Old 04-05-2015, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Right as promised.

Im going to be honest, this was a ball ache, based on the tight space in the hole where the amp is located.

congrats to Mr Spectacular it took a T25 bit and a spanner to act as a ratchet to get it out, two came out quite easily, by me screwing them from underneath with my fingers (wasnt put in tightly), however the screw at the back near the brake light took me about an hour of persistence.

Once all screws were indone, unplug the three cables.

There is a cable flashing a red light at me, i assume its the optical cable and this is ok to leave unplugged whilst i decide to repair/get a new amp.

One all the cables have been unplugged from the amp, i put the cables in a plastic bag to protect them and took the amp out.

As soon as i saw the amp i thought thats fubarred, and water was dripping out of it.

Does anyone know where to get the water deflector from in the UK?
Old 04-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

glad you were able to get it worked out. best of luck with the fix!