Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi A5 S5 RS5 Sunvisor HUD Heads up Display

Old 09-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A5 S5 RS5 Sunvisor HUD Heads up Display

Hello everyone, this is my contribution to the "how can i make my RS5 different from his RS5" world...

My current dash mount was too distracting, period.

So, I got to tinkering and thought that there might be a niche market for something like this

Can I ask you all... how much would you pay for a visor like this?

I know your gonna say, I can velcro my existing phone onto my visor for next to nothing

It wont work, too thick. I have resorted to embedding not only the phablet, but the power for it too, all in the visor

Power is now sent down the existing 2 conductors that are already in the visors hinge (this is where I get away with the term "plug & play" with just 1 torx screw too

It's that easy to swap out your existing set up for this one (at least on a5, s5 or rs5 cab's like mine).

The "blue" visor light above the visor is where the 12vdc to 5vdc power transformer for the phone power now resides.

It is currently "always on" but will eventually be triggered on and off by a proximity switch in of the many updates listed below

I will be more than happy to collaborate and work with any and all interested onlookers on a final design of a5, s5 and rs5 cabriolets

I have all the preliminary digital scans I need for now and an account already set up to print a 1st 3-d batch of these

Since this is a crude, rev 1.1 - 1st mock up, it is my intention to eventually (if enough interest) to legitimately advertise, market and sell the solid 3-d printed version of these here on Audiworld

The 3-d version would allow for the phone to snap in and out and be removable - the mock up is semi-permanent

Your thoughts? suggestions? comments?

Please check out my new videos, coming soon!

My AUD RS5 Youtube Channel

Final Rev 1.2 to include:

#1 - hard wired power (DONE)

external power would be provided via the existing 2 conductors that are concealed through the existing visor hinge tube

#2 data via usb (NEXT) DONE!

this will essentially be the equivalent of running a USB cable from the phones USB port to the glove box MMI connection

#3 - BT connected ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII scanner (NEXT)

this would be for running and viewing the Torque OBD II performance and diagnostic tool as an android app

#4 - Manual power/proximity switch for 5vdc power supply & light
as mentioned above

#5 - remote multi-touch control (NEXT) WORK IN PROGRESS!

I found the perfect device for this!

Last edited by AUD RS5; 10-01-2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 09-19-2014, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks pretty cool and interesting.

But when I think of a Heads Up Display (HUD) That's not really what I had in mind. What is your goal of having another screen on your visor? Is there specific information that you wanted to display there?

This is what I thought you were talking about:
http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/432/482/43248238_640.jpg
Old 09-19-2014, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest I didn't see much utility here. It seems one of the big features you're trying to show is streaming video from your dashcam? Unfortunately there was just way too much latency in the video to the point where I think it would be dangerous. Could you perhaps describe what other uses this might serve?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mokotoy
Looks pretty cool and interesting.

But when I think of a Heads Up Display (HUD) That's not really what I had in mind. What is your goal of having another screen on your visor? Is there specific information that you wanted to display there?

This is what I thought you were talking about:
http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/432/482/43248238_640.jpg
hello, and yes... i am deviating a little on the use of HUD... so we will refer to is as a huAd

Heads
Up
android
Display

I like the pic you sent, best one i've seen since this:

Old 09-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello again...

Well I decided to jump to #5 since it was just working around with rooted drivers...

Also, can I show you instead as to how easy it is to remove yours and install mine?

Considering that this is a 1st attempt, all by hand.. I am a little shy about close ups too... so I kinda keep it moving.

When I say it's "plug & play", with one screw... I mean it

Last edited by AUD RS5; 09-24-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: forgot link
Old 09-25-2014, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

time for some new trackpad software...

hope to get multi-touch to work !
Old 09-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so I've got 2 finger pinch to zoom working on the software side...

now if I can just reduce the track pad down to size to fit in the useless coin holder...
Old 09-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hello and welcome back for more progress, today in the video camera(s) department

in segment 1 of 2 - i bring to you my dash cam capture & control videos

1st up, high speed dash cam footage

Yes, it looks like slow motion.. because you tube plays it back at 720p60

When played on say, windows media player.. set at 2x playback, you get a beautiful detailed video with crisp frame by frame capture

and here is my default capture format...

Last edited by AUD RS5; 09-28-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

next,

already having the front 2 MP, 1080p@30fps camera available for Skype or as a "vanity mirror" (for those who claim they just have to have one, ladies?) .

and of course, not whilst driving

so when and if you are driving, and your dash cams battery is dead (other video above)... you use the 8MP 1080p@30fps, HDR visorcam!

here in its you tube video view...

Last edited by AUD RS5; 09-27-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hello and welcome back..

today we are almost at the end of rev 1.x

cosmetically I have found the required materials & method to mold and seal the visor up after I have dissected it and implanted the phablet & necessary wiring.

now we have USB connectivity to the RS5 via the MMI micro USB connection

since the MMI does not provide power over USB, that's where the modified hinge power comes in handy.

I would love it if I got some feedback on this project..

mainly from potential interested parties as I am trying to fund a version 2 one off (3-d printed + removable device) , by selling off my Rev 1
once done, this would allow me to (possibly) afford to buy advertising here on audiworld.com to sell them to interested buyers.

this can be for left or right side visors.

in closing, please limit the comments about "driving and using this" at the same time.. that is NOT and will never be my intention. except for google maps!

Thanks!

Last edited by AUD RS5; 10-01-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi A5 S5 RS5 Sunvisor HUD Heads up Display