Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

AUDI A5 VS S5

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUDI A5 VS S5

Hi there,

I am about to lease AUDI A5 VS S5. (First-ever European Car)

After a long research, I still could not decide which one to go with.

I know S5 is way faster than A5 and all, but does it have different exterior look compare to A5?

S5 is little bit out of my budget.. but I think I am going to regret it.

I know 2016 S5 is coming very soon, and I am trying to negotiate with a dealer, what is the reasonable price for 2015 S5?

My option is A5 Prestige vs S5 Premium Plus

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default You will get a screaming good lease deal on the A5

Originally Posted by woo325
Hi there,

I know S5 is way faster than A5 and all, but does it have different exterior look compare to A5?

I know 2016 S5 is coming very soon, and I am trying to negotiate with a dealer, what is the reasonable price for 2015 S5?

Thanks for your help.
Especially if it's one they have in stock. They want to move the tin.
BUT the S5 or RS5 is a different breed, they generally won't deal.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The exterior differences of the S5 are minor. The main difference is really the powertrain and the optional sport differential. What's your driving situation like? Since you don't have money to blow, unless you have easy access to fun mountain and canyon roads or go to the track, an S or RS is frankly a waste of money if all you do is commute, getting your groceries and be stuck in traffic.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-23-2015 at 05:03 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by superswiss
The exterior differences of the S5 are minor. The main difference is really the powertrain and the optional sport differential. What's your driving situation like? Since you don't have money to blow, unless you have easy access to fun mountain and canyon roads or go to the track, an S or RS is frankly a waste of money if all you do is commute, getting your groceries and be stuck in traffic.
Thanks for the reply.

I never had a car that was over 300hp and S5 really catched my eyes.

The only reason I am looking at S5 was aggressive offer by the dealership.

It seems like they can offer the car near $54 ~ 55k.

When it comes to colors,

what is the main difference between Brilliant Black and Mythos Black (Metallic)

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the same dilema a few months ago... Used 13 S5 vs new 15 A5. I chose the A5 simply because I ordered it (color and options) the way I wanted, 10K cheaper, dealer was much more inclined to work on the price of the new car vs the used one. As for engine diffs, I had the A6 with supercharged V6, but rarely took advantage of its power. A blast to drive... but limited in where it could be driven. I have a 525HP Mustang and it seems like I am driving a tank compared to the A5. I do not miss the extra HP of the V6 SC, I do not miss the raw speed of the Mustang (now a garage queen) and I absolutely love the quickness, handling and joy the S-line A5 brings. It is my daily driver... no complaints at all...
Old 06-24-2015, 03:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you're cross shopping A5's and S5's you're not looking for basic transportation, so don't drive the S5 if you don't want to spend the extra $$ , you'll be hooked on the power.

Funny thing about the S5, it's in no way the most powerful or nimble coupe around, but the power delivery is smooth and all useable. You don't 0-60 as fast as a lot of cars around it's price point, but you can do it consistently and often. The sound and torque are addictive.

The DCT is a hoot too and don't skip the sports differential, if you like to drive it makes a difference.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sgrinavi
If you're cross shopping A5's and S5's you're not looking for basic transportation, so don't drive the S5 if you don't want to spend the extra $$ , you'll be hooked on the power.

Funny thing about the S5, it's in no way the most powerful or nimble coupe around, but the power delivery is smooth and all useable. You don't 0-60 as fast as a lot of cars around it's price point, but you can do it consistently and often. The sound and torque are addictive.

The DCT is a hoot too and don't skip the sports differential, if you like to drive it makes a difference.
I agree. I don't need canyon roads to enjoy my S5. I don't even commute. Just going to the grocery store is a blast. The power is there throughout the rev range and the sound (especially in Dynamic mode) is like music to the ears.

Re: exterior differences, there is the platinum grill, silver mirrors, quad exhaust, 19" rims and that S5 badge that lets everyone know it is something really special. :-)
Old 06-25-2015, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If the $$ difference between the two ain't an issue for you pls go with the S5. You will really enjoy the 333 horse power and nice sound.
Don't want to offense anyone but A5 is only good for chicks, just way too slow for dude
...Life is too short to drink cheap wine and drive slow cars

Originally Posted by woo325
Hi there,

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default About the only advantage of the A5...

... besides price, are the color choices and weight difference. Color is personal preference, so I cannot comment in a helpful way. From the perspective of weight, set up equally, the A5 would handle better as the weight is distributed a bit more evenly, so less understeer. An "S5" with a hot 2.0L would be a fun car indeed. That being said, the cost to upgrade the A5 to better brakes, etc. makes it a wise choice to go S5, as it all comes with a warrantee.

You will certainly enjoy the S5 everywhere you drive it. I have had two and if you are leasing, you should get one for about $150/month more that the A5. My first was a glacier white with a Six-Speed manual....

Happy Motoring

Eric
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2015, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Counterpoint.

If you don't prioritize performance, and you just want a stylish, reliable car, take a look around. The Korean companies in particular are packing obscene amounts of features and technology into amazingly priced cars. I'm even getting domestics as rental cars lately that are surprising me.

I'm just saying, I own European cars that are sometimes a PITA to pay for and live with, but I do it anyway because I love the feeling I get driving them. If I found myself in [what I perceive to be] a toned-down version of a higher performance car, dialed-in towards being an appliance and not a passion, I would stress the monthly payment that much more.

Quick Reply: AUDI A5 VS S5