Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi care!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm a believer in the "standard" 15-45K miles Audi Care since I prefer to have the dealer do the scheduled maintenance while the car is still under warranty. Avoids any finger pointing if something goes wrong during a service. On the other hand, once the warranty expires, I use my indy shop who is about 40-50% less expensive than the dealer. Hence, Audi Care beyond the 45K scheduled service may not be a good value for those who have a good indy shop available. (Or, of course, are DIY'ers).
Old 03-04-2015, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife just paid $825 for Audi Care for her 2015 A5. I believe it was on sale. By way of comparison Porsche has a pre-paid 4 year / 50K service package and the standard fee is $2975.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I'm a believer in the "standard" 15-45K miles Audi Care since I prefer to have the dealer do the scheduled maintenance while the car is still under warranty. Avoids any finger pointing if something goes wrong during a service. On the other hand, once the warranty expires, I use my indy shop who is about 40-50% less expensive than the dealer. Hence, Audi Care beyond the 45K scheduled service may not be a good value for those who have a good indy shop available. (Or, of course, are DIY'ers).
Hey, new guy here.

This week I sat in on a boiler room, hour long session with the finance guy when I signed for my '13 CPO allroad, 32k miles (with 35k + 45k Audi Care services pre-paid).

His attitude was, "well everyone buys the Audi Care -- it's a no duh" and turned the screws on the 55k + 65k, and 75k + 85k service packages at $799 each.

I declined, with the option to go back and purchase them later.

So the original factory warranty is out at 50k, but I'm graced with the CPO warranty extension which will kick in about this time next year (when I expect to hit 50k on the odometer), and take me another 2 years through spring 2017.

However, I'd much rather service this vehicle myself, or have my local guy do the work. In the end, it'll be more frugal than Audi.

I'm curious how the CPO warranty changes anyone's opinion of extended (55k+) Audi Care. How is Audi with warranty claims if I exit their service program? How careful must I be with documentation of service intervals if I'm doing oil changes in my driveway? Looking over their items included on their maintenance checklist, it seems like a couple of fluid changes and a bunch of fluff with a side order of healthy profit margin.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Naughtie
I'm curious how the CPO warranty changes anyone's opinion of extended (55k+) Audi Care. How is Audi with warranty claims if I exit their service program? How careful must I be with documentation of service intervals if I'm doing oil changes in my driveway? Looking over their items included on their maintenance checklist, it seems like a couple of fluid changes and a bunch of fluff with a side order of healthy profit margin.
The Audi Care programs have no bearing on the manf or CPO warranties. If you do the service yourself, the warranties are still in force. It is recommended that you perform the recommended service intervals and keep receipts for parts, etc with a log of all maintenance performed. The same would be true if one uses an indy shop vs. the dealer's service dept.

The Magnuson-Moss Act states that a manufacturer cannot require an owner use their service nor deny a warranty claim so long as it is a covered item as stated in the warranty documentation and not a result of incorrectly performing the service or failed parts not installed by the dealer. Keeping good records if you're a DIYer will make things easier if there is a claim to be made.

Last edited by snagitseven; 03-07-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info, thanks for confirming re: the law & warranty.

Honestly, I nearly bought in to the Audi Care pitch as an "automatic" thing to do because every salesman I spoke to (four different Audi dealerships) recited the company line in a very matter of fact way, and the well-rehearsed and credible finance guy just treated me like I was a simple mongrel for even questioning it (but then he tried to sell me upholstery treatment and I remembered first and foremost he, too, is a salesman).
Old 03-07-2015, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There are various dealer "add-on" services that are very profitable for the dealer but Audi Care isn't one of them. The profit margin on selling Audi Care itself is very slim. They want to sell it is it locks you into bringing your car into the dealer for all future service that will potentially make them more money through warranty repair reimbursements, factory goal incentives and an opportunity to sell other services.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy Audi Care anywhere, and use it at any dealer. I would buy it in a tax free state. and save a few bucks, if it is convenient. For me, Delaware is that state. It can be purchased up until the 15k service.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fithian
You can buy Audi Care anywhere, and use it at any dealer. I would buy it in a tax free state. and save a few bucks, if it is convenient. For me, Delaware is that state. It can be purchased up until the 15k service.
Many states that have sales tax do not charge it for services. In MA (otherwise known as "Taxachusetts"), for example, I've not paid sales tax on Audi Care.