Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi Connect works with ATT on all 2013 -2014 Audi's

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by f_399
Is there a dramatic speed difference between AT&T and Tmobile to warrant the effort to switch?

As it is, I dont really use my car as a hotspot, its too slow. I can use my phone as a mo

bile hotspot for other devices.

The only thing I really use data on the car is for google earth view or audi connect when I send addresses to the car from google.
As answered to your same question in the other thread, it all depends on your location.

Please, no cross posting - ask the same question in one thread at a time and wait for responses.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to get AT&T connection...;-(

Originally Posted by robertogag
What else did you change in the configuration?
I did what you mentioned on my 2013 A6 and I have 2G
Hi there
I have a 2013 Q5 and recently had my T-Mobile upgrade applied to the MMI. I believe this means that I should be able to use an ATT SIM card to my unit . I managed to get ATT to map their new SIM card to the ENTIRE IMEI number in MMI unit. ATT says that it was successfully mapped but I am not able to get a data feed to the MMI. The SIM translates to another phone line in my ATT family data plan .
I came across other posts about using SIM cards mapped to iPAD IMEIs and it works for them.. Is there anything the can be done to have the MMI receive ATT celluar signals..?

Thanks in advance
Kandiah
Old 01-04-2016, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The following was supposed to be a response to mgrotter, but it appears that his post got deleted while I was typing. Anyway, this might still be helpful.

-----

It seems to be the case that the only MMI that can officially be activated with AT&T are 2016+ and 2012/13 that had the modem upgrade done. Probably because in both cases the IMEI was issued after Audi entered an agreement with AT&T. All other models seem to be only supported on T-Mobile and Audi/AT&T doesn't let you switch to AT&T. In this case, the only way to get AT&T service is to activate a SIM using an IMEI from another device such as an iPad. If you are trying to activate using the MMI's IMEI you'll get rejected by AT&T's system. If you don't have a spare device sitting around from which you can borrow the IMEI, then you can try to walk into a store and get your car activated. If you encounter a good clerk, they will just make up an IMEI that works. You may have to try a few different stores.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-04-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I thought the MY2014 and 2015 have the same MMI modem and frequencies as the MY2012/13 with the updated modem and that getting an IMEI approved was the same process for AT&T as you mentioned using an iPad, etc.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I thought the MY2014 and 2015 have the same MMI modem and frequencies as the MY2012/13 with the updated modem and that getting an IMEI approved was the same process for AT&T as you mentioned using an iPad, etc.
That is technically correct, however the TAC in the IMEI is most likely not the same. The TAC is the initial 8-digit portion of the IMEI that uniquely identifies a device. The TAC identifies a particular model and often revision. It's pretty clear to me now that even though technically the modems are the same, the 2016 modems and the replacement modems for MY2012/2013 are newer revisions with a different TAC and that's the TAC that AT&T has in their system, whereas the previous TAC is not recognized by AT&T's system.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

We can check this relatively easy if folks post the first 8 digits of their IMEI. Mine are 35574105. The remaining digits is just a mfg specific serial number and software version number. For the purpose of activating service they are ignored and can be set to zero. If somebody with an updated modem or a 2016 could post their first 8 digits, we can see if they are different. That's really all we need to know. Once we have the first 8 digits, we can make up our own IMEIs by basically taking our own IMEI and replacing the first 8 digits with the once from a 2016 or an updated modem.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default AT&T on 2014 A7

Originally Posted by superswiss
This is actually something I've been wondering about and you guys seem to confirm my suspicion. The issue that you guys are most likely running into is that even though your hardware supports AT&T, your IMEI is still locked to T-Mobile. I was wondering if Audi/T-Mo is going to release those IMEI's so that they can be activated in AT&T's system, but this seems to indicate that they are not. So, even though your hardware is technically capable to work with AT&T, you may still need a hardware exchange in order to get a new IMEI that isn't locked to T-Mobile. Those of us who have been using AT&T unofficially thus far had to use an IMEI from another device in order to get AT&T to activate service.
This is the issue i ran into. Finally got AT&T rep to activate my new SIM to my iPad IMEI. Worked within 2 minutes. Audi Connect informed me it was impossible to activate AT&T on a TMobile 2014 car. Key is to connect the SIM for the Audi to an iPad.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Question on activating AT&T on a 2014 Audi A7. Audi Connect told me i couldnt do it, but we all know we can...question, if i add a subscription on the audi connect website which asks for my VIN and SIM card number, will Audi Connect "catch me" and turn off my service?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mrgotter
Question on activating AT&T on a 2014 Audi A7. Audi Connect told me i couldnt do it, but we all know we can...question, if i add a subscription on the audi connect website which asks for my VIN and SIM card number, will Audi Connect "catch me" and turn off my service?
Which service? Some people have reported that they lost the ability to send destinations to the car from Google Maps or the MMI Connect app by switching away from T-Mobile, but I'm not sure if that's the real issue. I suspect they lost the ability for another reason. I can't confirm either way yet, because I actually still have an active T-Mobile subscription, but I switched to AT&T anyway, because it was so much better. My T-Mobile subscription runs out this summer. I'm not expecting anything to stop working, but I'll see. I'm not sure, though if you'll be able to sign up on the myAudi website with an AT&T SIM card number. I originally created my account with the T-Mobile SIM card number, so it's a bit of a different situation.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

100% agreement. The only issue i have is trying to sign up for Audi Connect on my desktop so i can send address and directions. The IMEI i use for my 2014 A7 gets rejected when i try and get a PIN to activate the car. If there's a way around this, would welcome some guidance. Not a huge issue since the MMI in the car is working great with my AT&T SIM from an iPad.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect works with ATT on all 2013 -2014 Audi's