Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

B9 S5 Initial Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
I think it is intended as a transitional design. The C8 A7 will look quite close to the Prologue, I suspect.

If they had used Prologue style headlights on the A5/S5, that would have made a significant improvement, because as per your render they work in perfect harmony with the front grill and you see everything as one cohesive design element.

But I guess they were too scared to lose that flowing curve from the de Silva design, and so they had to fatten up the lights to meet the crease line yet not look like Groucho Marx's eyebrows.

But they made a hash of it, ending up with the worst of both worlds. Conservative decision making, lack of conviction. Still, those "outside" of Audi seem to think it looks much the same as the B8, so maybe we are too close?
Maybe we are too close. I see basic similarities, but I think the original style of the B8 is gone in favor of more cut lines and "tack-ons" to make it compete with cars like the RC350 and 435i. I will probably warm up to it eventually. As long as I don't think "Ford Fusion" when I see the front, I can actually see some Aston Martin cues in the car. After all, Ford borrowed from Aston Martin. Let's go with the highest common denominator. Maybe it's a stretch, but I'm taking the high road on this one.
Attached Thumbnails B9 S5 Initial Reviews-aston-martin-vantage.jpeg   B9 S5 Initial Reviews-2017-audi-s5.jpeg  

Last edited by dseag2; 06-21-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Maybe we are too close. I see basic similarities, but I think the original style of the B8 is gone in favor of more cut lines and "tack-ons" to make it compete with cars like the RC350 and 435i. I will probably warm up to it eventually. As long as I don't think "Ford Fusion" when I see the front, I can actually see some Aston Martin cues in the car. After all, Ford borrowed from Aston Martin. Let's go with the highest common denominator. Maybe it's a stretch, but I'm taking the high road on this one.
I'm liking the Daytona grey, and the new edged rotors work well too. The pearl light/shade effect that Daytona provides particularly in the sun really suits the S5, seems to reduce the busyness of the design. Not too familiar with the Fusion here, although the Ford Mondeo is a close cousin. If the S5 sounded like an Aston, I'd order one now
Old 06-23-2016, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Overall not a terrible design, but to me it is a real step backward in terms of style/design. Two things that really bother me: 1) The four creases on the front hood make it look like a Ford Fusion. I think if they wanted to add creases for design or structural rigidity, they should have ditched the two toward the centerline and had only the outer two; to me these outer creases being further apart would lessen the car’s too-busy look; and, 2) The flashy badging that cuts into the smooth body and extends from the front fender to the door looks very silly on this design, kind of like putting feet on a snake. The car would look much better without this gimmick - were they trying to copy BMW for some reason?
Old 06-23-2016, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The outer crease connects to the grill top edge, and also enable the drop at the side to the pronounced arch over the wheel well. The "power bulge" crease connects to the Audi rings, but why? There was a rumour, possible relating to the RS4, is that there is a lot of heat coming up from within the V, and they needed more clearnance, but I don't know if that is true.

What is a bit unfortunate is they go to the trouble of having the terrific shut-lines of a clamshell bonnet/hood, and then make it too busy.

Have a look at the ugly shut-line of both the current Mercedes-Benz C class and the BMW 3/4 series front hoods in comparison.

I like to think of myself as unbiased (LOL!), but in detail, the other two Germans don't look so hot.

I can't think of any excuse for the ugly fake side vent / badge detail except bad taste, which is atypical for Audi.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

A reasonably comprehensive "print" review of the A5/S5:

2017 Audi A5 and S5 Review:: First drive | CarAdvice
Old 06-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Motor Trend:

2018 Audi A5, S5 First Drive Review
Old 06-23-2016, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Car & Driver seem a bit lukewarm. Although saying old and new engines feel much the same seems an outlier:

2018 Audi S5 First Drive Review - Car and Driver
Old 06-23-2016, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

UK reviews need to be read with some caution

Evo UK - 2016 Audi S5

Autocar UK - First Drive 2016 Audi S5
Old 07-16-2016, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glisse - are you also active on audio related forums ?
Old 07-16-2016, 12:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
The outer crease connects to the grill top edge, and also enable the drop at the side to the pronounced arch over the wheel well. The "power bulge" crease connects to the Audi rings, but why? There was a rumour, possible relating to the RS4, is that there is a lot of heat coming up from within the V, and they needed more clearnance, but I don't know if that is true.
This fender-bulge effect that carries over into the hood seems to be a current styling trend. Off of the top of my head, you see some of that in the new Honda Civic and current Mazda 6, but it's really been evident in the last couple versions of the Nissan Altima. I understand the effect they are trying to achieve but I personally do not care for the look very much. Especially on the current Altima, it takes on a very awkward looking appearance from rear 3/4 views. Indeed on the B9, it could be a functional necessity for the bigger powertrains as you pointed out.

The hood lines being drawn to different points on the grille do conjure up a bit of Aston-Martin styling a bit. Maybe it'll grow on me in time, I don't prefer it over the B8/B8.5. All of the real improvements seem to be inside and underneath, anyway.