Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Cabriolet suspension vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabriolet suspension vibration

My S5 cabriolet is now a week old and I've start to notice a slight vibration from the front end. I took it into the dealership, a trusted mechanic took it for a test ride, put it up on the hoist and couldn't find anything wrong. The service manager tells me that it's normal and a result of all the stiffening and cross braces under the cabriolet.
Has anyone noticed this?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had my cab since March 2011 and have never noticed any vibrations from the front - none whatsoever, not at any speed on straightaways or curves (ok, there was one time when I took a sharp corner at about 60 and the car skipped just a little, but I assume that's not what you're talkin about ).

When do you notice the vibrations (e.g., low speeds, curves, etc.)? Did you ride with the service manager on the test drive?
Old 07-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's an irritating little shimmy that I can feel through the steering wheel. I just took my tire guy (who I've paid $$$ over the last 10 years) and he noticed it immediately.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't say that I have a shimmy, but I've definitely noticed that the S5 Cab vibrates, shakes, wiggles, etc. much more than other cars I've had. For example, if I drive the same road with my S5 and my A6, my A6 feels more "stable" and "planted." I put those words in quotes because I feel like they don't quite explain the sensation, but it's the best I can come up with. I've driven cars with wheel balance problems and alignment problems, and this doesn't feel like those did. To some degree it could just be the stiffer suspension amplifying things, but I've also driven cars with stiffer suspension than the S5 and I haven't noticed this kind of feeling.

I had the car go through a full alignment at an alignment shop I trust greatly, and they couldn't find anything wrong. I had the suspension inspected by the dealership (one of which visits resulted in a dent in the car, which you can read about if you look at my older posts). I've had the wheels swapped (for other reasons), with a full balance being done each time, so that's not the issue.

I've basically just resigned myself to accept it as the way this vehicle drives. It's definitely one of my top 10 disappointments/annoyances with the car, but it's so hard to verbally describe what the problem is (and at times it's so subtle), I don't think I'll ever be able to get it fixed. And maybe it really is just the inherent lack of stiffness in a convertible (though I didn't notice it in other convertibles I've driven including a couple of 3 series, a Boxster, a Mustang, a Benz SLK, a few Z4s, etc.)...
Old 07-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiS5Mark
I've had my cab since March 2011 and have never noticed any vibrations from the front - none whatsoever, not at any speed on straightaways or curves (ok, there was one time when I took a sharp corner at about 60 and the car skipped just a little, but I assume that's not what you're talkin about ).

When do you notice the vibrations (e.g., low speeds, curves, etc.)? Did you ride with the service manager on the test drive?
What tires do you have?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had the coupe and now the cab. there is some cowl shake. I've experienced the suspension vibration issue with the coupe.Plus if it was the tires you would feel it thru the steering wheel at certain speeds.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

It must be cowl shake because even though the Cab has extra reinforcements, when you chop the top off a car it isn't as solid as a fixed-roof car. With that said, I'm on my second S5 Cab and think it rides/drives great.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Since my original post I've replaced the springs and had an alignment. The shimmy has almost disappeared, but is still noticable when the tires are cold.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DDowS4
What tires do you have?
I've got Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GTs 255/35/ZR19s on my baby. Love em. DDowS4 - I'm glad to hear your shake is almost gone. Other than some cowl shake in really sharp corners at high speeds, my baby continues to provide me a smooth ride.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default S5 Vibratiion

We just got a 2015 S5 Cabriolet. The car has 400 miles and is 3 weeks old. I noticed the vibration/shuddering almost immediately. The service department at Audi Tampa thought maybe the tires had flat spots, but it never improved so I brought the car in today thinking it was the tires (ContiSport Contacts). They were indeed out of balance, and it took some doing with the road force balancing to get things better, but when I drove the car there was no improvement. The car shudders over the smallest of bumps even at low speeds, and it shudders on the highway at random. Even my service advisor noticed the vibration while decelerating into a turn over a small bump; the steering wheel nearly vibrated out of his hand. Is this what I am stuck with with a Cabriolet???? The sticker on this car was over $74K. I also have an S6 which drives beautifully, and I just sold an A4 Avant which also drove very smoothly despite the sport suspension. If this is what I have to live with I am very disappointed. We got this car sent from another dealer and thus did not get a chance to drive it before the sale. They have the car now and are looking into this vibration, but I wonder if they will find anything. The car literally had 400 miles on the odometer!!!

Quick Reply: Cabriolet suspension vibration