Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017
View Poll Results: Which one?
BMW M3
0%
BMW M4
11.54%
C63 AMG S
3.85%
Audi RS5
30.77%
Porsche 911 Carrera/Carrera S
42.31%
Maserati Ghibli SQ4
3.85%
Other
7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Which car to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Curious about the GTS...

... I have been looking closely at them as way to get all of the performance elements that I would get on a Carrera S, but at a better Price..

What transmission did you get? PASM? Did you delete the center-lock wheels (they are nearly impossible to change at home)?

Are you happy with the car? Dumb question maybe, but you have had a wide range of cars and this one is twice the cost of a loaded S5, so you input is very interesting.

I am irrationally in love with the Lava Orange which I have seen two today - one on Palos Verdes and the other on the Angeles Crest.

Thanks and Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 06-28-2015, 04:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the GTS - mine has the high end sport seats (like the GT2) PDK (for resale sake) sports exhaust, PASM, chrono package, rally wheels. I like the center lock , it's exotic and you just need the special wrench - $400 no big deal.

I'll call AAA if I get stuck on the road side anyhow LOL.

Don't get me wrong, I love my S5, but in actual driving experience you just can't beat the 911 (well, in my price range anyhow as I hear the 458 speciale is another level of sublime)

Edit: I guess the GT3RS would be up there with the Speciale as well

Originally Posted by eric strauss
... I have been looking closely at them as way to get all of the performance elements that I would get on a Carrera S, but at a better Price..

What transmission did you get? PASM? Did you delete the center-lock wheels (they are nearly impossible to change at home)?

Are you happy with the car? Dumb question maybe, but you have had a wide range of cars and this one is twice the cost of a loaded S5, so you input is very interesting.

I am irrationally in love with the Lava Orange which I have seen two today - one on Palos Verdes and the other on the Angeles Crest.

Thanks and Happy Motoring

Eric

Last edited by sgrinavi; 06-28-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sgrinavi

I love the GTS - mine has the high end sport seats (like the GT2) PDK (for resale sake) sports exhaust, PASM, chrono package, rally wheels. I like the center lock , it's exotic and you just need the special wrench - $400 no big deal.

I'll call AAA if I get stuck on the road side anyhow LOL.

Don't get me wrong, I love my S5, but in actual driving experience you just can't beat the 911 (well, in my price range anyhow as I hear the 458 speciale is another level of sublime)

Edit: I guess the GT3RS would be up there with the Speciale as well
The GTS is an outstanding car, but a pricey one. A nicely equipped 991 GTS will sticker around $140K. From early reviews I would expect that a 981 GT4 will offer as much driving pleasure for about $50K less. So something to think about that is in a similar price range of the other cars in the poll.
I've been driving 911s for over 40 years, and my advice is to stay away from them because they are so dam addictive. Porsche uses a simple formula to achieve their unique driving experience: low center of gravity and low weight. The GT4 for example has a curb weight of around 2900 lbs. The problem with them however is that once you get accustomed to the Porsche driving experience, other cars will disappoint you. I've been trying to find an alternative for over 20 years, and haven't found one yet.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sly1
The GTS is an outstanding car, but a pricey one. A nicely equipped 991 GTS will sticker around $140K. From early reviews I would expect that a 981 GT4 will offer as much driving pleasure for about $50K less. So something to think about that is in a similar price range of the other cars in the poll.
I've been driving 911s for over 40 years, and my advice is to stay away from them because they are so dam addictive. Porsche uses a simple formula to achieve their unique driving experience: low center of gravity and low weight. The GT4 for example has a curb weight of around 2900 lbs. The problem with them however is that once you get accustomed to the Porsche driving experience, other cars will disappoint you. I've been trying to find an alternative for over 20 years, and haven't found one yet.

That is exactly right. You try to get out and they suck you right back in. I even traded in my '13 328 for a Macan.

I wouldn't get a new 991 GTS either, but you can find a nearly new CPO 991S in the 90k range and get more warranty and have pretty much the same driving experience as a 997.2 GTS.

I had a nice '14 Cayman S, bare bones to keep it light. It was nice, but still not as fun to drive as the 997.2/911 and, IMO, doesn't have the looks. If I could afford a new weekend track car then, yes, the GT4 would be on the list for sure - but for a DD there is no way in hell I would pick any Cayman over a 991/911
Old 07-04-2015, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sgrinavi
That is exactly right. You try to get out and they suck you right back in. I even traded in my '13 328 for a Macan.

I wouldn't get a new 991 GTS either, but you can find a nearly new CPO 991S in the 90k range and get more warranty and have pretty much the same driving experience as a 997.2 GTS.

I had a nice '14 Cayman S, bare bones to keep it light. It was nice, but still not as fun to drive as the 997.2/911 and, IMO, doesn't have the looks. If I could afford a new weekend track car then, yes, the GT4 would be on the list for sure - but for a DD there is no way in hell I would pick any Cayman over a 991/911
I've owned five different iterations of the 911, the last being a 997S. In 2013 my intention was to replace the 997S with a 991S, but I saw a 981 Boxster S on the dealer's lot and took it for a test drive. It certainly didn't compete in straight line acceleration with my 997S, but it was quick enough to meet my needs and I quickly become accustomed its mid-engine handling characteristics. Bottom line is that I just couldn't justify the $40K+ premium for a 991S over the price of a 981S. I would love to take the 385 HP, 2900 lb GT4 for a test drive, but that's not about to happen since there is long waiting list for that car.

From my perspective the 991 has evolved into a sporty GT car with amenities that would make a luxury car proud just a few years ago. So as a DD the 991 will appeal to more people over the 981. On the track however, I expect that a GT4 will hold its own with any 991 with the exception of the GT3.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Indeed...

… I have been pricing out a GTS for myself - I tend to lean toward simple and hit the $123K mark. I rarely turn the radio/stereo on as I prefer to concentrate on the car and the experience - even for long drives. I am wrestling with the 7-speed/PDK decision and I won't really know if it the right one until after months of ownership. It will be my daily driver, so I am tempted to go PDK. The 991 model fits me so much better (I am 6'4"), otherwise I would be searching previous editions. The new Caymen GTS is a hoot as well and I came so close to getting it instead of the RS5.

We just came back from a ride through the mountains and met a fellow with a brand new GT3. He is new to Porsche and we agreed to meet next week for a drive. I assume after that it will be like heroine, I will be addicted and start robbing the 401K ;-)

Happy Motoring

Eric