Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Carbon Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

FWIW, and knock on wood, my '13 RS5 runs like a champ at 61k...
Old 09-14-2016, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Before I would do the carbon clean I would use the old

Originally Posted by erionracing
yes they had some device that cleaned it pretty thoroughly, i believe it was that. I had cleaned it with a light pad and used csi gas canister which is very light spray and it took maybe 20 mins to soak and clean, but it came straight off. just a hassle to take the manifold off. all in all it took about 1.5 hrs to clean thoroughly and put back together. Next time i do one i'll post pics of how much carbon builds up on the back of the valves.
backyard tuneup; i.e., introduce about a quart of water into the engine while it was hot and running at about 2K rpm. You DON'T POUR it in, just aspirate it slowly into a vacuum port on the manifold. The spray of liquid blasting into steam on the intake valves blows off the carbon on the valves as well as the carbon buildup, if any, in the combustion chamber.

As to how it works, I had firsthand experience on a Mercruiser 6 cylinder engine that a next door neighbor had allowed to freeze up the manifold one winter because he didn't use ears on the lower drive to inject antifreeze into the engine cooling system. Normally just draining the engine on a trailer or running the engine out of the water for 10–20 seconds is enough, but not that year! Anyway, the #6 cylinder and head/valves were clean as new after we ran the engine in the spring and discovered it was only running on five cylinders!!!

I would guess that methanol/water injection would work as well too..BMW for example has it on some of their new M engines.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why a blind eye from VW/Audi in the U.S.?

What bothers me is the slow response from the vehicle manufacturers. This has become a very well known issue across the industry. One solution is dual injection, i.e. a combination of port and direct injection. It appears that on the 2.0 TFSI Audi is indeed introducing dual injection in the European market, but not yet in the U.S. Why? Other manufacturers, such as Toyota, are implementing dual injection on some engines. Sure it's an additional expense, but this is passed on to the consumer in any case. I would much rather pay a bit more for the vehicle now, than deal with periodic intake valve cleanings down the road.