Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Considering a 2013 RS5. Need advice from RS5 owners!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a 2013 RS5. Need advice from RS5 owners!

Hello guys!

I am currently considering buying a 2013 RS5 and would appreciate any advice from current RS5 owners here as to what to look for when inspecting the car pre purchase and what to expect reliability wise with a 25K - 45K mileage.

I have seen some issues with ECM tranny mapping, abnormal rotor/brake pads wear and tranny oil leaks. Are these issues widespread or fairly isolated?
I expect to have Audi factory warranty until around mid 2017.

Thank you,
Gene
Old 01-20-2016, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

My '13 RS5 purchased in February of 2013 is just about to go off warranty at 50k. Car has been serviced regularly by dealer and have had zero issues with it, and I mean zero. I switch summer/winter tires in April/November and did replace the summer tires at 22k. Great car!
Old 01-20-2016, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The biggest issue seems to be the faulty brakes affecting a subset of these cars. Not sure how widespread the issue really is and it seems to affect mostly later model years. Also it occurs during the first 10k miles or so for most, so if the car has made it to 25k - 45k miles w/o brake issues, then you are probably good. But you wanna make sure it doesn't suffer from any brake shudder/vibration.

Another issue that has affect some, including me are bad fuel pumps that need to be replaced. I don't think it's that widespread, either and it's an easy fix.

Other than that these cars are largely free of major issues. There are some known MMI issues, but they are not unique to the RS5 and they either have a hardware or software fix. Transmission oil leaks are rare. They did redesign the oil pan a while back, though. I did have a leak, but it was because my transmission filter got knocked loose somewhere during the first 5k miles. There are a couple of ECM and TCU updates to address some concerns, so you wanna make sure the car you are considering has had those updates. There was also a steering update to address some early issues with the EPS.

The biggest expense on these cars are brakes, tires and fuel, especially if you drive the car like it's meant to.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-20-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all the info, guys!
Old 01-23-2016, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Only suggestion is make sure you are going to be satisfied with a fairly one dimensional, albeit absolutely exhilarating vehicle. The RS5 is essentially a 2 seater high performance sports car. It has a huge trunk and fold down rear seats, which is cool for transporting items, but its pretty cramped in the back seats for all but kids. Sometimes I need a 4 door and it can be embarrassing to suggest an adult try to wedge their way into the rear seats.

Wish I could find some snow chains/cables that work as I would love to be able to take ski trips but the low clearance with 20 inch wheels seems to be prohibitive. My biggest regret. Luckily, I also have an A4 Avant for use for the snow.

This is more a question about suitability for your lifestyle, the RS itself is a beast and head turner and a joy to drive. My only issue has been the brake shudder problem previously mentioned, but other than the hassle of dealing with it the dealer and A of A have been very supportive so far after 2 pad/rotor replacements in 11,000 miles, but otherwise no complaints.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Allraodgone
Only suggestion is make sure you are going to be satisfied with a fairly one dimensional, albeit absolutely exhilarating vehicle. The RS5 is essentially a 2 seater high performance sports car. It has a huge trunk and fold down rear seats, which is cool for transporting items, but its pretty cramped in the back seats for all but kids. Sometimes I need a 4 door and it can be embarrassing to suggest an adult try to wedge their way into the rear seats.

Wish I could find some snow chains/cables that work as I would love to be able to take ski trips but the low clearance with 20 inch wheels seems to be prohibitive. My biggest regret. Luckily, I also have an A4 Avant for use for the snow.

This is more a question about suitability for your lifestyle, the RS itself is a beast and head turner and a joy to drive. My only issue has been the brake shudder problem previously mentioned, but other than the hassle of dealing with it the dealer and A of A have been very supportive so far after 2 pad/rotor replacements in 11,000 miles, but otherwise no complaints.
Yes.

Back seats are for kids (or adults on very short trips). We have a S4 for taking adults.

I use the car to go skiing. Skis fit fine via passthrough or seats folded down.
I don't have trouble in snow with my all weather radials but l dont drive through snow piles or ridges. We live near Aspen and they do a good job of plowing our street and the roads. I do not drive on unplowed roads...no need to. If l had to drive on unplowed roads l would get an SQ5 or a Maccan.

No complaints. No problems. Have had the car a year and it has only 5k miles. It is my winter driver.

Best
Old 01-23-2016, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Allraodgone

The RS5 is a proper GT, not a sports car, and as such it is at least two dimensional. A) Able to cross a continent at high speeds and in comfort and B) Providing driving thrills when demanded.

The RS5 has at least two more dimensions. It's a phenomenal daily driver and thanks to its Quattro drivetrain a very capable winter car. With proper winter tires, ground clearance will be an issue long before traction, so not sure why you need snow chains. Put on proper tires if you are driving in the winter.

The term GT is used all wrong these days. Often slapped on your average family car with not much more than a go fast paint job and body kit. A proper GT is most commonly a 2+2, able to transport at least two in comfort with their luggage and room to spare at very high speeds, yet provide sports car like handling and driving thrills when demanded. That's the RS5 in a nutshell right there. It's obviously not a family car, but IMO it's the perfect DD, road trip and weekend canyon thrills car for a couple with no kids.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-23-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good call Superswiss...

The RS5 is a classic GT. I use it as my daily driver and weekend canyon bomber. With the back seats down, it carries a bunch of luggage and even my mountain bike inside, so I can storm the canyons without the bike perched on top. Its heavy, gets atrocious fuel mileage, but never fails to leave me giggling after a run through the twisties. Its a comfortable daily driver for sure. The sport exhaust is a hoot. It represents a dying breed of beast with its naturally aspirated V8. Loads of fun to rev… To me, its worth the experience, even if other cars are more efficient tools.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 04-02-2018, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by superswiss
The RS5 has at least two more dimensions. It's a phenomenal daily driver and thanks to its Quattro drivetrain a very capable winter car. With proper winter tires, ground clearance will be an issue long before traction, so not sure why you need snow chains. Put on proper tires if you are driving in the winter.
You hit it right there friend. I live in Boston. I went from a 2013 Corvette (and a Jeep Wrangler for winter) before I came upon Audi's. Since I've had a 2015 SQ5, a 2016 S6, both came with Summer Tires. I put Blizzaks on my SQ5, and SotoZero 3s on my S6, and both a blast to drive in everything the New England winters have had to offer the last 3 years.

Picking my 2018 RS5 up tomorrow night. Plan to use the same with the tires. I have a couple months to research!