Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Considering 2013 S5 Cabrio, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Considering 2013 S5 Cabrio, need opinions

I'm considering a used 2013 S5 Cabrio (w/Prestige Package) and wanted to get opinions on this car I found for $50k with 9k miles (not certified). I am partial to the seating package that has heated and ventilated seats with the neck warmer given I'm in the northeast, but not sure how much of a difference that makes. Any other thoughts or opinions on this car and anything about the longevity and quality on these cars as I plan to keep it for at least 5 years. Also, it is not a certified car and not an Audi dealer so thoughts on needing an extended warranty.

Thanks in advance!
-DJ
Attached Images   
Old 05-22-2015, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow, it is in excellent shape. I owned '10 and '11 S5 Cabs and loved them both. I traded the last one for a sedan because I needed the utility. (I've since traded the sedan for my S5 Coupe because there is nothing that drives like it.) I only kept each for about 10k miles, but from what I've read on the forum they hold up really well. In fact, the S5 in general is pretty trouble-free. I personally like the Sport Seats better for the thigh support, but there sure are days with my current S5 when I wish I had the ventilated Comfort Seats. The Cab offers lots of utility. Almost the same trunk space as the Coupe, even with the top down, plus the seats fold down. There are days when I miss my Cab, but after having skin cancer removed from my face it just isn't in the cards. I would highly recommend it.

There is another thread from a member who is trading in his '11 S5 Cab with quite a few miles and has had no issues at all with it. Here you go...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...eport-2878532/

Last edited by dseag2; 05-22-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks so much for the feedback and the article was a great read.

I'm confident that the car is solid, now just need to see what I can do with the price and if I should get piece of mind with an extended warranty if I'm going to put 50-60k mile on it over the next 5 years.

Love the looks of your coupe...maybe after I get the cabrio out of my system! Coming back to Audi after 8 years its great to see how much the cars have progressed!

Thanks,
-DJ
Old 05-23-2015, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I'd consider two things before getting in deep. I'd look at the in-service date and determine when the original warranty ends. I'd review the Carfax report to ensure the car has not been a problem child. I'd work from there.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with FD Warranty on warranty pricing. They sell the same Fidelity warranties sold by Audi dealers (because they are an Audi dealer) at a discount. There are wide ranges of coverage and terms to choose from.

I would also compare the cost of this car + warranty to a CPO from an Audi dealer. If you know this dealer fine but I'd be leery of buying a $50K car from a little used car lot. Hard to tell from first post what kind of dealer is selling.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I second the thought of comparing the cost of a CPO vs Used Car Lot purchase plus warranty. Keep in mind the CPO add-on cost is about 1500.., but only good up to 6years from in service date or 100k.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While people can trade/sell a car for any reason, one of them can also be due to something being wrong with the car that may not have been reported.

With it being not certified and not an Audi dealership would make me extra careful about getting it. My is a 2011 and it is relatively reliable with two notable issues that was fixed under warranty/recall. One is the infamous thermostat that failed and stranded me on the freeway and the other was leaky rear sports differential. DSG is also another potential issue that can surface. And none of these are cheap to repair should they fail.

Another option is to see if the dealer will let you do a PPI by an Audi dealer. While you are there, ask the Audi dealer about re-certification and buying extended warranty through them should you do decide to purchase the car. This way, it would be as if you bought a certified vehicle through Audi with warranty to boot. There are few things worse than owning a car and constantly worrying about it being a time bomb.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Here are some additional facts:
1- This is a private dealer that has 3 locations and sells only high end cars (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Lexus, etc).
2- This car's in-service date is May 2013 (so 2 full years remain on factory warranty) and was and Audi Corporate Fleet vehicle for 6 months (1 owner) and 5k miles. This dealer purchased the car through auto auction and it was used by the owner for the last year/4k miles. Carfax shows $5k service done at Audi Dealer and rest shows clear on that report.
3- I have asked them to check if they can work with local Audi Dealer so I can have it certified even if it means they wholesale it through a real Audi Dealer. I will ask about PPI.
4- Took 2 test drives and it rides well, but did feel some vibration at idle sitting in the driver's seat so I have asked them to have this checked by an Audi dealer.

Let's see what comes back as if it's not given the green light by Audi I will not buy.

Thanks for all the responses again!
-DJ
Old 05-27-2015, 03:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine's got 40k miles. Routine maintenance and a single issue with the voice command. I agree that getting an inspection and certification, if possible, through your local dealer would be a plus. Good Luck.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

FWIW with my 2013 S5 Cab will be 3 years old next month, has 18K miles on it, and has been completely trouble free--only scheduled maintenance.

Quick Reply: Considering 2013 S5 Cabrio, need opinions