Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Creaking suspension in RS5

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking suspension in RS5

Just curious if others have had the same experience. My 2014 RS5 makes creaking noises from what seems to be the suspension, especially when going up or down sidewalk/driveway ramps at an angle. Also, happens over certain bumps at low speed when the body is torqued a certain way (or at least it is audible at low speeds). The creaking noises are fairly loud...can't miss them.

Strangely enough, this also happened on my 2013 S4.

Does this problem simply follow me around, or do other people experience it too? The body is supposed to be incredibly rigid, so my assumption is that it's a suspension issue, maybe bushings, and not the actual body torquing.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 12-22-2014, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Some creaking from the chassis is normal due to the stiffness, however, there is a TSB to replace the front wishbones and lower control arms. They are known to creak. Also, do you happen to have the Alu Kreuz installed?

EDIT: Hit submit to soon. There is also a known issue with the sway bars creaking. Best is to take it to the dealer and have them address it.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. It's definitely not the front components because it happens in the rear as well, and probably more so in the rear. The sway bar would seem to make sense given the fact that the creaking seems to shift from one side to the other as the car goes up the ramp. Interesting.

I have zero confidence in my dealer's ability to diagnose, so I may bring it to a different dealer in the area when the car is up for it's next service.

No Alu Kreuz.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 01-17-2015, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Creeking/ Popping Sound

I'm a recent 2010 S5 purchaser (5 weeks ago) and I have a similar creeking or in my case, a muffled popping noise from each wheel corner when ascending or descending the curb of my driveway. I thought I was the only one with an similar issue. As I haven't taken it to the dealership yet, I was wondering if it was due to the extreme stiffness of the suspension coupled with the Drive Select System?
Old 01-17-2015, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Just spray the sway bar bushings with water.

Originally Posted by Iron Horse
I'm a recent 2010 S5 purchaser (5 weeks ago) and I have a similar creeking or in my case, a muffled popping noise from each wheel corner when ascending or descending the curb of my driveway. I thought I was the only one with an similar issue. As I haven't taken it to the dealership yet, I was wondering if it was due to the extreme stiffness of the suspension coupled with the Drive Select System?
If the creaking goes away for awhile and comes back you'll need to remove and lubricate the sway bar bushings. Use a waterproof synthetic grease if you can find it. Amsoil makes one, you can probably use a Mobil synthetic from Advance auto or some such.

If you're really **** you can drill and tap the sway bar bushing bracket for a zerk, make sure you get through the bushing itself as well or place the zerk where it will inject the bushing at the split. Also ensure the zerk doesn't interfere with anything, like a belly pan.