Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Deal for 2016 S5. Should I wait until 2017?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deal for 2016 S5. Should I wait until 2017?

I'm a potential first time Audi buyer. I was interested in the S5 and the BMW m sport 435i coupe. Based on my size (6'2, 240 lbs) I've been persuaded by friends that the 435 is too "small" for me. I fit just fine when I test drove.

Anyway, I am now focusing on the S5. Drove my first Audi for the first time 2 weeks ago. Deal on table is 36 months/10k miles, $720/month and $0 drive off. My salesman is telling me the deal is only good through April (till basically closing Saturday). Is this a good deal? Would you guys pull the trigger on a 2016 S5 given that the redesigned S5 comes out sometime in 2017?
Old 04-29-2016, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ivyesq1906
I'm a potential first time Audi buyer. I was interested in the S5 and the BMW m sport 435i coupe. Based on my size (6'2, 240 lbs) I've been persuaded by friends that the 435 is too "small" for me. I fit just fine when I test drove.

Anyway, I am now focusing on the S5. Drove my first Audi for the first time 2 weeks ago. Deal on table is 36 months/10k miles, $720/month and $0 drive off. My salesman is telling me the deal is only good through April (till basically closing Saturday). Is this a good deal? Would you guys pull the trigger on a 2016 S5 given that the redesigned S5 comes out sometime in 2017?
I was in the same boat as you when I was shopping between the S5 and the 435iX. We're both the same height but I am lighter at 193 lbs. I spent a lot of time testing and evaluating both cars. In terms of interior space, both cars are very close almost no difference. Here are my reasons for deciding in favor or the current B8.5 S5:

Interior design: Unique and driver oriented. I like the integrated MMI display as opposed to the stuck on tablet on the 435. Yes, the display is smaller but I find it sufficient. I do not need in a larger size because I find it distracting. The S5 sport seats are unique. BMW's sport seats are, well, regular looking. Nothing special. The dash design of BMW is characteristically BMW since the early 2000's.

Spare Tire: The BMW has none because it comes with run-flats. Call me old-fashioned but I will never feel comfortable without one.

Grille design: The grille is nice but there are wider gaps in it. One can see the silver finish of the radiator and intercooler behind it. I consider this a design failure. It just ruins the overall sporty and aggressive front end design. A little detail but, I feel, it ruins the overall finish quality.

Steering Wheel: I loved the look of the flat-bottom steering wheel of my MK6 GTI. BMW does not offer this steering wheel style for the 4-series.

Accessibility of Engine: BMW 435's engine sits behind the front axle so it is harder to reach into it to do some simple maintenance work. S5's engine sits in front of the front axle so it's easier to work on.

Rarity: In my neighborhood (Greater Vancouver, BC Canada), S5's especially in Sepang Blue are rare. This is partly because Audi does not offer aggressive lease rates and deals compared to BMW. BMW's, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen. Lots of 3-series and a fair amount of 4-series, too. So, for me, owning a BMW 4 does not give me more exclusivity compared to the S5. Most S5's I encounter on the road are pre-FL models. Very few are B8.5 FL models.

To answer your question, I, personally, decided to not wait for the 2018MY S5 because:
1. I do not like the dash design and stuck on tablet of the B9 series. Reminds me of BMW.
2. I personally do not like too much driver assistance features. They can get very distracting while driving. Less is better for me.
3. The body styling remains generally the same except for the front and rear end. This tells me that the overall shape of the B8 and B8.5 is timeless and going for a B8.5 S5 will offer similar visual appeal for several more years to come.
4. I like the steering wheel design of the B8.5 S5. I didn't like how the round center part of the new steering wheel sits too far back from the rim.
5. I do not want to go through new model teething pains of the B9 S5. New models tend to encounter headaches during its first two years.
6. I wanted to experience driving a car with a supercharged engine. The new B9 S5 will have a turbo V6.

Sorry for the long response. I just wanted to share my thoughts and experience with you. I hope you find my feedback helpful. Cheers!
Old 04-29-2016, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks for the reply. it is very helpful. regarding difference in size between 435 and s5, i think you're right about interior space being similar. however, for some reason, my friends (and now even me) seems to feel that the s5 looks like a bigger vehicle. i'm 36, so i think it also has something to do with the fact that most of the people who drive 435s in CA are smaller stature men, younger, or women... really love the design of the m sport 435 but s5 is definitely more masculine.

thx for all the differences between the current s5 and the 2018. i still have reservations about going with the 2016 because it appears like the body style goes all the way back to 2007 or 2008... i know there have been cosmetic changes since then but i'm not sure a 2009 s5 looks very different than a 2016. it's good to know that 2018 will be turbo and not supercharged.

came so close to taking the 435 this week. loved the red interior too. gonna test drive s5 again tomorrow. with a 36 months lease maybe i can get out after 30 months and then get 2019 s5...

Old 04-29-2016, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I love my S5. In fact, I owned '10 and '11 S5 Cabs prior to this. I think your deal is about right. I have a 2-year lease w/ 7500 miles @ $975 per month. The shorter leases really accelerate the payment amount.

Also, be aware that the current Supercharged V6 and 7-speed DSG transmission (which is a great combo) will be replaced by a turbo V6 and 8-speed Tiptronic in the new model. Many in the forum prefer the SC V6 for its immediate torque and no turbo lag and the DSG for it's intuitive shifts. The new model will have a whole new drivetrain. I can't imagine anything better than what I have now.

Lastly, take a look at the new B9 A4 interior in this forum. It looks more like the 4 Series interior. If you like it with the stuck-on nav display that doesn't retract more than the current interior you may want to wait for the new model. I don't.

Last edited by dseag2; 04-29-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

thx for all the differences between the current s5 and the 2018. i still have reservations about going with the 2016 because it appears like the body style goes all the way back to 2007 or 2008... i know there have been cosmetic changes since then but i'm not sure a 2009 s5 looks very different than a 2016. it's good to know that 2018 will be turbo and not supercharged.
Here's some spyshots of the 2018MY S5 being tested in the Nurburgring. The general body styling will be quite similar to the B8/B8.5 S5. As deag2 mentions in his post below, look at the interior of the new B9 A4 to get a good idea of the interior of the upcoming B9 S5.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dseag2
I love my S5. In fact, I owned '10 and '11 S5 Cabs prior to this. I think your deal is about right. I have a 2-year lease w/ 7500 miles @ $975 per month. The shorter leases really accelerate the payment amount.

Also, be aware that the current Supercharged V6 and 7-speed DSG transmission (which is a great combo) will be replaced by a turbo V6 and 8-speed Tiptronic in the new model. Many in the forum prefer the SC V6 for its immediate torque and no turbo lag and the DSG for it's intuitive shifts. The new model will have a whole new drivetrain. I can't imagine anything better than what I have now.

Lastly, take a look at the new B9 A4 interior in this forum. It looks more like the 4 Series interior. If you like it with the stuck-on nav display that doesn't retract more than the current interior you may want to wait for the new model. I don't.
what are you going to do at the end your lease? buy it?
Old 04-30-2016, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
I was in the same boat as you when I was shopping between the S5 and the 435iX. We're both the same height but I am lighter at 193 lbs. I spent a lot of time testing and evaluating both cars. In terms of interior space, both cars are very close almost no difference. Here are my reasons for deciding in favor or the current B8.5 S5:

Interior design: Unique and driver oriented. I like the integrated MMI display as opposed to the stuck on tablet on the 435. Yes, the display is smaller but I find it sufficient. I do not need in a larger size because I find it distracting. The S5 sport seats are unique. BMW's sport seats are, well, regular looking. Nothing special. The dash design of BMW is characteristically BMW since the early 2000's.

Spare Tire: The BMW has none because it comes with run-flats. Call me old-fashioned but I will never feel comfortable without one.

Grille design: The grille is nice but there are wider gaps in it. One can see the silver finish of the radiator and intercooler behind it. I consider this a design failure. It just ruins the overall sporty and aggressive front end design. A little detail but, I feel, it ruins the overall finish quality.

Steering Wheel: I loved the look of the flat-bottom steering wheel of my MK6 GTI. BMW does not offer this steering wheel style for the 4-series.

Accessibility of Engine: BMW 435's engine sits behind the front axle so it is harder to reach into it to do some simple maintenance work. S5's engine sits in front of the front axle so it's easier to work on.

Rarity: In my neighborhood (Greater Vancouver, BC Canada), S5's especially in Sepang Blue are rare. This is partly because Audi does not offer aggressive lease rates and deals compared to BMW. BMW's, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen. Lots of 3-series and a fair amount of 4-series, too. So, for me, owning a BMW 4 does not give me more exclusivity compared to the S5. Most S5's I encounter on the road are pre-FL models. Very few are B8.5 FL models.

To answer your question, I, personally, decided to not wait for the 2018MY S5 because:
1. I do not like the dash design and stuck on tablet of the B9 series. Reminds me of BMW.
2. I personally do not like too much driver assistance features. They can get very distracting while driving. Less is better for me.
3. The body styling remains generally the same except for the front and rear end. This tells me that the overall shape of the B8 and B8.5 is timeless and going for a B8.5 S5 will offer similar visual appeal for several more years to come.
4. I like the steering wheel design of the B8.5 S5. I didn't like how the round center part of the new steering wheel sits too far back from the rim.
5. I do not want to go through new model teething pains of the B9 S5. New models tend to encounter headaches during its first two years.
6. I wanted to experience driving a car with a supercharged engine. The new B9 S5 will have a turbo V6.

Sorry for the long response. I just wanted to share my thoughts and experience with you. I hope you find my feedback helpful. Cheers!
SAME Here!! For same reasons I choose an S5 over Bmw 4 serie.
I found pathetic that their cars don't have spare tire!!
And their 2000s dash design is a joke
My girlfriend had a 3 series and when her lease came up I made her move to Land Rover Evoque and she's been very please so far.
Only last thing that turn me off was Bmw Red interior....too much Red to my taste! Got the 2 tone Red/Dk Grey with Red stitching interior that Audi offers and
It simply amazing! No regrets whatsoever. Go for the Audi
Old 04-30-2016, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

what are you going to do at the end your lease? buy it?
Believe me, I would be happy to buy it but because of family needs we need to go bigger and have 4 doors so I am most likely trading for an SQ5. Someone will get a nice, pampered '15 S5 with only 15k miles on it and most of the depreciation already taken. :-)

The lease on our '13 G37 Convertible matures 6 months later, and I am planning on trading that for an S5 Cab. I won't have to go without my S5 for very long!

Audi's current S cars really hit the sweet spot for me. Great torque, great handling, timeless styling and intuitive, well-made interiors. Yes, the Nav screen is small and connecting my iPod through the glove compartment is wonky, but the driving experience makes up for it and then some.

Last edited by dseag2; 04-30-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am in a similar situation as the other posters on the thread so I thought I would share as well. The lease of my 2013 S5 is up in November and at first, I had thought for sure that I would be getting the new redesigned 2017 S5 as a replacement but with it seemingly that it will most likely be automatic only (that is a deal breaker for me) as well as not being in love at all with the new minimalist BMWesque interior has me most looking elsewhere. That said, I am even considering either buying out my lease at the end (I am way under mileage) or even getting a new 2016 S5. My other options that I am looking at is the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio but the price may be an issue and I have had an aversion to four doors but after seeing it in person at the NY Auto show a few weeks ago....wow! The new Porsche 718 Cayman is intriguing but I am gun shy of a two seater with very limited cargo capacity.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Run flat tires are a deal killer for me. Too harsh a ride.

Tiptronic is a deal killer especially if you can get a dct now.

Love our 2014 S4 with supercharged engine. It has a manual transmission. But our RS5 has a dctwhich is amazing.

Quick Reply: Deal for 2016 S5. Should I wait until 2017?