Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Going from a '11 E92 M3 to S5 / RS5

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from a '11 E92 M3 to S5 / RS5

So as the title says, I'm looking at moving on from my E92 M3 to an Audi. I've never owned an Audi and I know comparatively the RS5 is more in line with the M3 from a performance standpoint but honestly living here in Houston, I do not get to enjoy what my M3 can really do (legally that is) and so I'm leaning more to the S5 as my new DD. I have only driven the S5 and I did like the car's response with the V6/SC'd engine. I like that the S5 seems to have more interior room than the M3 although that's not really a criteria as our youngest is about to graduate college and she'll be out of the house soon. I love the looks of the car, incredibly smooth, sleek looking car.
I'm curious if there's any folks out there that have made the move from a M3 to the S5 and your thoughts. I will probably regret the move but I'm hoping that will be temporary. My main reasons for moving on is that the car is out of warranty and approaching 60k miles and I really don't want to dump money into a depreciating asset, plus I'm itching for something new and do not like the new M3/M4. Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TexasSpartan
So as the title says, I'm looking at moving on from my E92 M3 to an Audi. I've never owned an Audi and I know comparatively the RS5 is more in line with the M3 from a performance standpoint but honestly living here in Houston, I do not get to enjoy what my M3 can really do (legally that is) and so I'm leaning more to the S5 as my new DD. I have only driven the S5 and I did like the car's response with the V6/SC'd engine. I like that the S5 seems to have more interior room than the M3 although that's not really a criteria as our youngest is about to graduate college and she'll be out of the house soon. I love the looks of the car, incredibly smooth, sleek looking car.
I'm curious if there's any folks out there that have made the move from a M3 to the S5 and your thoughts. I will probably regret the move but I'm hoping that will be temporary. My main reasons for moving on is that the car is out of warranty and approaching 60k miles and I really don't want to dump money into a depreciating asset, plus I'm itching for something new and do not like the new M3/M4. Appreciate your thoughts.
Can you order an RS5? Not coming to US until at least 2016 if at all is my understanding. If you can get one there are many options not available on S5:
Red calipers, adaptive rear spoiler, sports exhaust, better interior, better deeper sportier seats, the grill is stunning.

The S5 is a great car. You can get a manual transmission with the stock 333 hp supercharged engine. Don't really think you NEED AWD in Houston. The car does not understeer especially if you keep the gas on. Audi MMI is the best in the business, especially compared to BMW. Be sure and get adaptive differential and adaptive suspention. You may want to consider adaptive steering as well. The only way to get adaptive lights is to opt for the Prestige pkg which was my pick.

Yes BMW is building some fugly cars...the rears are butt ugly.

You will like Audi fit and finish. My service at the dealer has been great.

We own a 2014 S4 and a 2015 RS5. And have owned several BMWs including M3s.

Best of luck.

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 05-05-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't think you can order a RS5 but there's 5 on dealer lots here in Houston. I'm about 2 months out from making the purchase due to building a house so I'll see what's available then. The dealer near me has a glossy primer grey color (sorry not versed in the color names just yet) and a darker grey. Both have the red/black interior which is very sharp. The RS engine sounds a lot like my M3, low torque in lower rpm's until you get up to 5k+ maxing out at redline (8,350 rpm on my car).
Old 05-05-2015, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

The subject has been discussed to death (RS5 vs. S5), but the torque in the RS5 comes on high, making it slower off the line, whereas the torque in the S5 is pretty much there throughout the power band. The V8, of course, will keep surging in the higher RPMs and has a better sound, but the S5 is no slouch. If you're not using all the power you have in your M3, you will have more than enough power in the S5. The engine/tranny combo is a gem. I'm in Dallas and find it difficult to use all the power the S5 has. I love my S5. This is actually my third one ('10 S5 Cab, '11 S5 Cab, '15 S5 Coupe). I moved away from Audi for a while with a '13 Lexus GS F Sport (which was an outstanding car), but the S5 feels like it borders on sports car territory with more practicality. Just try "Dynamic" mode. You will be sold.

Here is a quote from one of the owners of an S5 and an RS5. You can find it under the thread "Regrets on RS5":

"My wife and I have recently owned two S5's, and S4 and now an RS5. We still have the 2014 S4 and are very enthusiastic canyon carvers. I also loved my two S5's. The cars are so different, mostly as a result of their different engine philosophies. The 3.0 supercharged motor is brilliant. Forceed induction means tremendous torque at low rpm's and a big shove right off of throttle. In tight corners, the car is just a hoot. The RS5, being naturally aspirated and tuned for an 8500 rpm redline is a bit deceptive. It is not fast off of dead stop or at low rev's. You must learn to keep the rev's up. There is very little torque (317 lb-ft), but the power curve just keeps building. You drive the two cars differently. I would have been quite happy staying with the S5 and doing and exhaust and brake upgrade. Honestly, I believe that the naturally aspirated V8 is a relic of a fading era in automotive technology - no matter how fast the piston speed is on the 4.2. It is a dying breed and i wanted to have one before they are all gone. The V8 is now absent from the R8."

Last edited by dseag2; 05-05-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Thanks for quoting me :-)

You have great choices and the S5 just did very well in a comparison test in Car and Driver. For the cut and thrust of daily driving, the S5 couldn't be better and in dynamic mode, really is a sport driver. I do love the RS5 for the commitment it extracts from the driver to go hard through the canyons - it is a bit of a workout as you enter corners with such speed. The RS5 takes a great "set" in a corner and just slings itself around. It is heavier than the S5 and does not take mid corner corrections as easily. The sound of an RS5 is intoxicating. Depending on the popularity of RS5's in your area, you may be able to deal.

My wife and I love swapping back and forth from S4 to RS5 on our weekend jaunts. She still prefers the S4 as she has "fast hands" through the corners, constantly correcting - like a rally driver. I tend to take a set and stick with it, allowing the car to move about through the corners. The RS5 feels glued down as the suspension is stiff. All of this can be dialed into the S5 as well with a cross brace, a bit of suspension hardware and and aftermarket exhaust. If fuel mileage is an issue, then the RS5 may be a shocker (let's not go there), but my commute is 4.5 miles. Howling through the mountains we are in the 10-11mpg range. The S5 is more like 20mpg under the stick and about 30mpg on our highways. The S4 and S5 are available with manual trannies (we have had both). I loved my manual S5, but my S-tronic was much faster through the mountains.

How far are you from Texas Hill Country? I have read that there are epic drives there - Make sure you join the Audi Club

Below is a pic of the previous S5 and our current S4

Happy motoring

Eric
Attached Images  

Last edited by eric strauss; 05-05-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss

You have great choices and the S5 just did very well in a comparison test in Car and Driver. For the cut and thrust of daily driving, the S5 couldn't be better and in dynamic mode, really is a sport driver. I do love the RS5 for the commitment it extracts from the driver to go hard through the canyons - it is a bit of a workout as you enter corners with such speed. The RS5 takes a great "set" in a corner and just slings itself around. It is heavier than the S5 and does not take mid corner corrections as easily. The sound of an RS5 is intoxicating. Depending on the popularity of RS5's in your area, you may be able to deal.

My wife and I love swapping back and forth from S4 to RS5 on our weekend jaunts. She still prefers the S4 as she has "fast hands" through the corners, constantly correcting - like a rally driver. I tend to take a set and stick with it, allowing the car to move about through the corners. The RS5 feels glued down as the suspension is stiff. All of this can be dialed into the S5 as well with a cross brace, a bit of suspension hardware and and aftermarket exhaust. If fuel mileage is an issue, then the RS5 may be a shocker (let's not go there), but my commute is 4.5 miles. Howling through the mountains we are in the 10-11mpg range. The S5 is more like 20mpg under the stick and about 30mpg on our highways. The S4 and S5 are available with manual trannies (we have had both). I loved my manual S5, but my S-tronic was much faster through the mountains.

How far are you from Texas Hill Country? I have read that there are epic drives there - Make sure you join the Audi Club

Happy motoring

Eric
Nice comparo. I do love the confidence the RS5 inspires into corners. The cornering speeds it can carry for a 4000 lbs car are impressive. I find the RS5 very communicative and easy to set up for a corner. I pretty much am like you and stick to my steering input, but then use the throttle to push it more or less into the corner to the point of throwing out the tail around slow corners.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Eric for your review. I had read it in your other post but still good to read again. My M3 comes in around 3700lbs so is not on the light side for a car its size but handles like nothing I've ever driven. Still, I'm looking to move on for the reasons I stated above. I have read the Car and Driver reviews of both the S5 vs. 435M and the latest S5 vs Caddy vs Lexus and liked what I read about the S5.

I'm about 2.5 hours from the Hill Country and have had some fun up there and on a couple short stints not too far from my house but this car being my DD I'm really leaning towards the S5. I too only get around 12 mpg's on my M3 as I tend to run it with the "M" button engaged most of the time.

I do appreciate the input guys.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss

Happy motoring

Eric
Glad to quote you. I thought it was one of the informative, unbiased comparos I've read. :-)
Old 05-19-2015, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had a question about the S5 in manual mode. When I test drove it, the car would shift into the next gear on its own. Being it was my first test drive and not really familiar with the settings I was curious if there was a setting where it wasn't governed like the RS5 and my M3. I have a DCT E92 M3 and can run it up to 8k rpm for a few seconds without it taking over and shifting automatically. Does the S5 have this capability?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My experience...

Originally Posted by TexasSpartan
Had a question about the S5 in manual mode. When I test drove it, the car would shift into the next gear on its own. Being it was my first test drive and not really familiar with the settings I was curious if there was a setting where it wasn't governed like the RS5 and my M3. I have a DCT E92 M3 and can run it up to 8k rpm for a few seconds without it taking over and shifting automatically. Does the S5 have this capability?
… has been that the car will stay in whatever gear you select until you come to a complete stop. Then it resets to first gear. Let us know what you decide, please :-)

Then you should come out to LA sometime and let us know. We can go for a drive though one of our epic mountain ranges.

Eric

Quick Reply: Going from a '11 E92 M3 to S5 / RS5