Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Having coffee with a friend this morning

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Having coffee with a friend this morning

and he was telling me about working a Porsche event where he was doing the preinspection of the cars (open glove-box, trunk etc) to look for loose things before the cars went out on the track. He inspected a white RS5 that a woman was driving and opened the trunk to see a nitros bottle. Some serious system - I wonder how long the engine will last.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How curious Reggie...

... The design of the RS5 V8 sounds like adding nitrous makes a toxic stew. The piston speed of the 4.2 reaches near F1 velocities with very high redlines for a production motor. People get frustrated with the RS5 because it feels a tad pokey off of idle. But for crying out loud, if you want a stoplight crusader, get yourself a Hellcat or a ZL1. The RS5 shines on a canyon run of fast sweepers and elevation changes or a comfortable 600 mile run to San Francisco. Once the rpm's are up, the car literally flings itself from corner to corner. It is so linear that you don't have the same sensation of speed as the S4/S5. I have taken to having the digital speed readout showing so I can catch a glance as I enter a corner (always faster than I think).

So the question is: "when it blows, does a piston come up through the valve train, or does a connecting rod blast through the oil pan?"

Happy Motoring Reggie

Eric
Old 06-29-2015, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

My vote: A single clean 84.5 mm hole in the hood.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Did the RS5 pass? Nitrous can be tricky and there are safety issues.

Originally Posted by Reggie
and he was telling me about working a Porsche event where he was doing the preinspection of the cars (open glove-box, trunk etc) to look for loose things before the cars went out on the track. He inspected a white RS5 that a woman was driving and opened the trunk to see a nitros bottle. Some serious system - I wonder how long the engine will last.
If the car had a heater on the bottle, was there pressure releases, was there a scatter shield around the bottle, etc.?
Old 07-04-2015, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
If the car had a heater on the bottle, was there pressure releases, was there a scatter shield around the bottle, etc.?
She passed because everything was bolted down. The inspection was just for loose items that can be tossed around driving hard