Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2014 MMI only imports one category of contacts

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 MMI only imports one category of contacts

I love my A5 but was perplexed as to why it was only importing 80 of my 1,000 contacts from my galaxy nexus running ICS. I finally figured out it was only importing ONE of my categories! So I might have"business", "home", etc. And android can display any or all on the phone. I always display all. I don't see a setting to select what it exports or syncs either on the phone or in the MMI.

Any ideas on how to get it to import all my categories? I guess I can create a csv file in outlook to import but the sync is a nice feature. Not sure if going from outlook to the Audi online thing helps either.

Any help appreciated.
BJBBJB
Old 09-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi and Android over bleutooth.......a never ending story.

Had many sync issues too, but this app solves many things, including swlecting of ALL categories:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sap.irmc&hl=nl
Old 09-23-2013, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wieRS5
Audi and Android over bleutooth.......a never ending story.

Had many sync issues too, but this app solves many things, including swlecting of ALL categories:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sap.irmc&hl=nl
Thanks for that! I will have to check that app out. I do worry thought that by using this app to fix my bluetooth sync issue to my car (which would be nice to have work, but a convenience, not a necessity), I introduce other issues with my android/exchange/outlook, sync backup etc. etc.....syncing that now is working.

I really only need to download this once. I was even thinking of just exporting a CSV file and pulling that in!

Thanks again.
BJBBJB
Old 09-28-2013, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Checked with my dealer and they said they would update the MMI software during my service. But not sure if this issue is specifically addressed.

BJBBJB
Old 09-29-2013, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Contacts sync related issues are as many kind as the number of available phones and service providers. There is no consistent pattern or a solution. The only common conclusion is hitting a brick wall of your choice. In my experience, it was first denied that there was such a limitation, then it was my phone (Razr HD Maxx), then the provider, then the software.... I gave up.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rarslan
Contacts sync related issues are as many kind as the number of available phones and service providers. There is no consistent pattern or a solution. The only common conclusion is hitting a brick wall of your choice. In my experience, it was first denied that there was such a limitation, then it was my phone (Razr HD Maxx), then the provider, then the software.... I gave up.
Thanks, I won't expend any more energy on it. I am curious how well the contact "import" function works as an alternative. I can live without the contacts syncing every time I start the car.

But I wouldn't mind doing a large batch upload of contacts via a CSV file.
I could not find what format it expects the CSV file to be in though.
Thanks,
BJBBJB
Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BJBBJB
Thanks, I won't expend any more energy on it. I am curious how well the contact "import" function works as an alternative. I can live without the contacts syncing every time I start the car.

But I wouldn't mind doing a large batch upload of contacts via a CSV file.
I could not find what format it expects the CSV file to be in though.
Thanks,
BJBBJB
Pity that when importing using CSV, etc, the max number of vcards that can be uploaded is 100 (other part of memory, different than the MMI/Phone part, where you can store 2000 contacts (per phone, with total max of 5000 over different phones).
Old 10-01-2013, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Pity that when importing using CSV, etc, the max number of vcards that can be uploaded is 100 (other part of memory, different than the MMI/Phone part, where you can store 2000 contacts (per phone, with total max of 5000 over different phones).
Thanks for that. I think I remember reading that in the manual but now it makes more sense. So the import is not an option for over 100 contacts.

Guess I could reset all my contacts to the one contact category that is getting importing but I could only see messing up my whole contact world of syncing if I did that!
BJBBJB
Old 10-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Use the Android tool I posted (or do you have different smartphone?) then you can sync whatever you want, it works very good! (I have around 2300 contacts, in Outlook I added a RS5 category label for 1900 contacts, and then only syn RS5 category and it works flawlessly (you can keep your existing contact categories, since you can have multiple per contact!)
Old 10-06-2013, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Use the Android tool I posted (or do you have different smartphone?) then you can sync whatever you want, it works very good! (I have around 2300 contacts, in Outlook I added a RS5 category label for 1900 contacts, and then only syn RS5 category and it works flawlessly (you can keep your existing contact categories, since you can have multiple per contact!)
Thanks for that additional info!!! I have a Galaxy Nexus running 4.2.2 stock. It says Samsung should be good up to 4.2.X but then it says:
Nexus phones, CyanogenMod and other AOSP based Custom ROMs
AOSP based ROMs are compatible. CyanogenMod 9/10 already contain the fixes, Android 4.2 based versions don't.

Not sure what that means....

What you say about adding a category makes sense and is easy enough....but when the MMI connects to the phone once you install this app, how do you tell it to grab the "RS5" category? Does a prompt popup? I went everyone I could on the links for that app and could not find any documentation on the phonebook app. A lot on rSAP.

Does this app/new blue-tooth stack change the audio bluetooth capability or just the sync?

Thanks,
BJBBJB

Quick Reply: 2014 MMI only imports one category of contacts