Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Ways to soften suspension on an RS5

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ways to soften suspension on an RS5

Buddy of mine is seriously considering an RS5 (2013) however after his initial test drive (full day of driving) his concern was the suspension. Didn't feel he could live with it as a daily driver with the stiff suspension.

With that, I told him I would post and see what comments there are. Please restrain yourself from the obvious deriding sort, we get it, maybe he should be looking at the S5. That said, my assumptions are:

1) Go to the 19" rims (currently running the 20" rotors)
2) Switch to a coilover suspension (not even sure this is an option but assume so)
3) Look at swapping out bushings with softer variety?

Any suggestions are really appreciated and its also understood there may be trade-offs so whatever perspective you can give is really appreciated. It could help someone make the dive and get behind the wheel of an RS5! Maybe he'll let me drive every so often so I have some skin in the game too!

Thanks,
Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1 and 2 are about the only options unfortunately. RS models are more track/race car oriented so the ride is going to be harsher than that of an S5 or A5.

In the world of performance, sacrificing ride comfort in exchange for improved handling is the price you pay.

If he can't accept that than an RS5 might not be the right choice as a daily driver.

Jason
Old 10-01-2013, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleA4
1) Go to the 19" rims (currently running the 20" rotors)
2) Switch to a coilover suspension (not even sure this is an option but assume so)
3) Look at swapping out bushings with softer variety?
4) Lower tire pressure to minimum recommended level (tire pressure makes a HUGE impact on ride quality in these cars).
Old 10-01-2013, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

5) Install Alu Kreuz.

The Alu Kreuz does not directly affect the suspension, but the increased torsional rigidity has a positive impact on the ride quality. It seems to absorb uneven roads better and settles nicer. As the previous poster suggested, I had initially lowered my tire pressure to the minimum recommend (normal load), but after installing the Alu Kreuz, I went back to the full load tire pressure and am very happy with the ride quality now.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
5) Install Alu Kreuz.

The Alu Kreuz does not directly affect the suspension, but the increased torsional rigidity has a positive impact on the ride quality. It seems to absorb uneven roads better and settles nicer. As the previous poster suggested, I had initially lowered my tire pressure to the minimum recommend (normal load), but after installing the Alu Kreuz, I went back to the full load tire pressure and am very happy with the ride quality now.
Would not have thought that would make a difference. Good to know, the alu kruetz is on my short list too for the S5. When you see what it replaces you can't help but believe that you have done some good for the cars suspension somewhere...
Old 10-01-2013, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

5) Install Alu Kreuz.

I wouldn't think a mod that tightens up the chassis (i.e. this or a larger rear anti-sway bar) could change/soften the ride. The only Google reference I found to Alu and ride softening was your post in another forum.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

5) Install Alu Kreuz.

The Alu Kreuz does not directly affect the suspension, but the increased torsional rigidity has a positive impact on the ride quality.
Despite of the laws of physics...
Old 10-01-2013, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I wouldn't think a mod that tightens up the chassis (i.e. this or a larger rear anti-sway bar) could change/soften the ride. The only Google reference I found to Alu and ride softening was your post in another forum.
Honestly, I don't know what it is. It's definitively a subjective feeling. Perhaps it's simply the fact that the steering isn't going all bonkers over uneven surfaces and that for me has the effect that I perceive the ride to be of better quality. It could also be that the car is starting to loosen up a bit. All I can tell you is that I did European Delivery and I loved the ride quality in Europe for all 4000 miles. Then the car arrived stateside and I wasn't a very happy camper with the ride quality over our roads in Northern California. Then I had the Alu Kreuz installed and I noticed the difference, YMMV as they say. Bottom line, I'm happy again with how the car feels.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

6) use different tyres! for instance the very good Vredestein Ultrac Vorti are much more comfortable than the Pirelli's

7) buy a rs5 WITH adaptive suspension, when set to Comfort, thia is very soft ride imho
Old 10-02-2013, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks everyone for your responses. Many of the responses seem practical and relatively simple too. I'll let you know if he dives in.

Quick Reply: Ways to soften suspension on an RS5