Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Help me decide: Premium vs Premium plus

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide: Premium vs Premium plus

I'm finally about to join the club. I've been looking at buying an a5 for years and I'm about to pull the trigger.

I found a 2014 premium for 35k (with heated seats and lighting package)

There is an identical 2014 premium plus for 40k (with B&O, side assist).

I'm mostly concerned with the a5's aesthetic. I'm fairly young and this is my first car purchase. The question is are the plus features (memory seats, push button, b&o, etc) worth the extra 5k?

I have also considered waiting to find one with nav and rear view cam (mostly for the cam). Is that worth the wait and additional cost?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

For me, being able to push a button instead of inserting the key in a slot is a big deal. Also, the B&O sound system, while not great, is pretty good. I can't imagine what the base sound system sounds like. I would definitely go with Premium Plus, but everyone is different. You should check both out before deciding.

If you wait for a new one, I find the rear view cam very useful when backing up in parking lots/garages, especially if you aren't getting the parking sensors.

Last edited by dseag2; 03-15-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I struggled with similar questions when I bought my 2008. At the time, there were only a few hundred out in the wild, so I didn't have much user experience to fall back on. I strongly resisted the key, and ended up finding out that it is a huge plus. You really get used to not taking it out of your pocket and enjoying the ability to have a hand free that otherwise would be fumbling with the key.

I actually didn't mull over the B&O option very long and went for it. At the time it wasnt nearly as expensive, so it wasn't as hard a choice. But now when I look at the S7 options and see it's like $4500, I sort of flinch. I personally think the B&O sound is quite good, at least in my car, but in general, stereos get mixed reviews, even the best. I do think though, had I not got it, I'd not be happy with the sound. It's excellent, but not overwhelmingly so. Also, I never looked into what you could do in terms of aftermarket to get better sound if you chose against B&O and then decided you needed better.

As for the rear view cam and parking sensors, these are really just great and every car should have them. That said, they arent a substitute for actually turning and looking and being aware of your surroundings. They can get you in trouble just as much as they can help, but simply for parking alone, they give a really nice assist (the camera especially) and it really improves the overall experience.

There was no side assist on the 08, so I have no idea how helpful that would be. Personally, I tend to be pretty aware of who or what is in my blind spots, so it seems unnecessary. Maybe when I get older.... :-|

As for heated seats, no brainer if you live in a cold area. Unless you are like my Dad, who just hates them on principle. (old school or just nuts?)

I would suggest a trip to the dealer to try out a new one with the camera, see if you can listen to a CD with the two different stereo systems, etc.

Memory seats and two keys are great if you have two people that drive the car. Otherwise, not so important as you will probably adjust the seat and be done with it. Although I have found that it could still be helpful if you move the driver seat up to get someone or something in the back because when you return the seat, it doesnt end up in the same place until you manually bring it there.

Good luck and enjoy the eventual purchase. In the end, you have to decide what that $5k saved might otherwise get you and the utility of those other things or experiences, vs having all the bells and whistles on the Audi. Even without them, it's a really nice car overall, and you are fortunate to be able to choose it for your first ride. (Mine was a 1982 honda accord. lol)
Old 03-17-2015, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I personally wanted all the bells and whistles so i waited for a unit to pop up that was exactly what i wanted. It took 3 months and I found it the morning it went on sale before it even was washed from the trade the previous day. I am very happy that i was patient. I actually almost got an A5 instead of an S becuase it was configured the same and i would have saved a pretty penny. I had doubts about settling and chose to hold it. Every day i'm happy i have the configuration i want. So like previously stated, it really depends on the value you place on the additional features. It's VERY nice to not have to fuss with a key (probably one of my favorite features), and he sound is better with the B&O. The back up features are a plus and navigation is a nicety that can come in handy. That being said, still a great car you'll enjoy either way. When it comes to resale, the more optioned, the easier to sell. my $.02
Old 03-17-2015, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bthse2004
I'm finally about to join the club. I've been looking at buying an a5 for years and I'm about to pull the trigger.

I found a 2014 premium for 35k (with heated seats and lighting package)

There is an identical 2014 premium plus for 40k (with B&O, side assist).

I'm mostly concerned with the a5's aesthetic. I'm fairly young and this is my first car purchase. The question is are the plus features (memory seats, push button, b&o, etc) worth the extra 5k?

I have also considered waiting to find one with nav and rear view cam (mostly for the cam). Is that worth the wait and additional cost?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.
Go for it. You will get it back (mostly) on resale so you might as well enjoy it. If you really want to save money get a bare bones VW.

BTW we have Prestige.

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 03-17-2015 at 08:26 PM.