Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

How to tell if an S5 has the sport differential

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if an S5 has the sport differential

I'm looking to buy my first Audi; a 2013+ S5. The option I'm most interested in is the sport differential, but I'm finding that most of the listings I see on places like cargurus don't list it. I even called the dealer of one of the listings and the salesman still wasn't able to tell if the particular car had that option.

It's frustrating because it's the most important option for me. Is there a way to figure out if a car has that option? Since I'm looking at may posting online I won't have the ability to look at the car myself.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Test drive it and if it hauls *** around the corners like a RWD vehicle it has the sport differential. :-)
Old 10-12-2015, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Perhaps and Audi tech can give you a definite...

… answer, but two things come to mind.

1. Check for the Monroney Sticker, either folded up in the Owners Kit, or
2. run the VIN on the web and see if any of the car sites have an expanded options list.

The cornering capacity is improved, but having owned two with and two without the sport differential , the kind of shenanigans necessary to establish the difference is best left to the canyon roads.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 10-15-2015, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Drive select has a setting for differential if car has sport diff. Doubt if its there without sport diff. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can weigh in.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Put the car on a lift and LOOK at the rear diff.

Originally Posted by Xexyz
I'm looking to buy my first Audi; a 2013+ S5. The option I'm most interested in is the sport differential, but I'm finding that most of the listings I see on places like cargurus don't list it. I even called the dealer of one of the listings and the salesman still wasn't able to tell if the particular car had that option.

It's frustrating because it's the most important option for me. Is there a way to figure out if a car has that option? Since I'm looking at may posting online I won't have the ability to look at the car myself.
The sport diff has a couple of extra planetary gear sets and clutch plate assemblies with hydraulic lines/actuators visible on either side of the diff.

Sport differential ? Audi Technology Portal
Old 10-27-2015, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lemonpeal is correct. If that is a setting under drive select, then it will have it.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default OW! I should have known and said that!

Originally Posted by zgordon1021
Lemonpeal is correct. If that is a setting under drive select, then it will have it.
:>(
Old 11-16-2015, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Glad this is being discussed. I am in the market for a used S5 and would like to confirm the unit has a SD beforehand. The amount of misinformation regarding this is pretty abundant. I have been told that any 2013 with the Driver select package, DOES have the SD, and also the opposite. Meaning the ONLY way it has it, is if it's listed on the Monroney label. So I would really like to know the answer to it. My latest response to a '13 that has the Driver assist, was , sorry, we checked and it does not have the diff. I have to call them back and find out "what" they checked?
Old 11-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's a stand alone option that will be listed on the monroney label. If that's unavailable, go into the drive select menus look under the set individual section. If you see sport differential as an option it, then it's equipped. See the attached photo.

Do you know the VIN?

Old 11-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, I can get the VIN. Do you have a site that will take the VIN and give us a Monroney label? :-)

Quick Reply: How to tell if an S5 has the sport differential