Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Just got a 2013 RS5

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric that must be a very fun road to drive! I used to live in S. California and I remember those canyon roads! Back then I had a modified boxster S with 400hp and it was an amazing experience to drive those roads. The weather of course helped a lot!
Old 01-29-2016, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My goodness, a Boxster indeed!

Probably no better car to hustle through the canyons… they handle so great. You'll have to visit again and know you have a friend here for a drive :-)

Eric
Old 02-08-2016, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Eric. I will let you know when I'm out there, usually I'm going to OC area!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dseag2
Congrats! Beautiful beast!
i have a 2013 rs5 when i back up & start turning the vehicle jerks is that normal?
Old 02-08-2016, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracy Thomas
i have a 2013 rs5 when i back up & start turning the vehicle jerks is that normal?
Google "Ackerman angle tire hop". You'll learn all about why it happens.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes Tracy it is normal.
Here you can read more about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackerm...ering_geometry
Old 02-09-2016, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracy Thomas
Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Google "Ackerman angle tire hop". You'll learn all about why it happens.
Originally Posted by worldtraveler13
Yes Tracy it is normal.
Here you can read more about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackerm...ering_geometry
Well, I was gonna say to have your alignment checked Tracy. For those referencing the Ackerman steering geometry, it actually is supposed to eliminate this and not cause it if the Ackerman angles are correct. I suspect in Tracy's case her toe is off, messing with the angle. My RS5 doesn't jerk when I back up and start turning. I had it aligned less than a year ago. In case of quattro in particular older generations there is also the phenomena of differential bind if the steering is turned all the way to the left or right. However, that has been greatly reduced with the the crown gear diff in the RS5. I don't feel this much anymore in my car, but my B7 S4 did it all the time and the tires skipped whenever I backed out of my driveway.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Well, I was gonna say to have your alignment checked Tracy. For those referencing the Ackerman steering geometry, it actually is supposed to eliminate this and not cause it if the Ackerman angles are correct. I suspect in Tracy's case her toe is off, messing with the angle. My RS5 doesn't jerk when I back up and start turning. I had it aligned less than a year ago. In case of quattro in particular older generations there is also the phenomena of differential bind if the steering is turned all the way to the left or right. However, that has been greatly reduced with the the crown gear diff in the RS5. I don't feel this much anymore in my car, but my B7 S4 did it all the time and the tires skipped whenever I backed out of my driveway.
The tire hop-- drag is because the cars DO NOT have true Ackerman geometry. Higher performance cars often have reduced or even negative Ackerman correction in order to maximize tire grip in high speed cornering. (Or so I read :-) ) It is a function of the length and angle of the steering arm on the hub carrier and the position of the steering rack relative to the wheelbase of the vehicle. Long story short the inner front wheel is not turning sharply enough when turning sharply and it forces the outer wheel to skip sideways. Alignment cannot change this much. It is a designed in part of the suspension.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
The tire hop-- drag is because the cars DO NOT have true Ackerman geometry. Higher performance cars often have reduced or even negative Ackerman correction in order to maximize tire grip in high speed cornering. (Or so I read :-) ) It is a function of the length and angle of the steering arm on the hub carrier and the position of the steering rack relative to the wheelbase of the vehicle. Long story short the inner front wheel is not turning sharply enough when turning sharply and it forces the outer wheel to skip sideways. Alignment cannot change this much. It is a designed in part of the suspension.
Yeah, I'm aware of this. Didn't wanna get too deep into the weeds. But yes, the Ackerman angles get messed with by things like tire deformation in high speed corners etc. that the suspension geometry and steering geometry tries to take into account. It's still worth getting the alignment checked, although it seems that the tire hop is more pronounced in colder climates and probably depends on the tires, too. Seems like in warmer climates the softer tire compound masks the tire hop as the tire flexes enough.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by worldtraveler13
Hey everybody!
I just got my RS5 and I'm very excited about it!
There are couple questions I was hoping someone could shed some light on.

The car's exterior color is Misano red and I wanted to know how many RS5 were imported in the US with that specific color. Would A of A answer to such questions?

I bought the car from my local Porsche dealer, which I know and I trust since I have bought couple of those from them.
Since it doesn't come with a CPO cert, would I be able to go to an Audi dealer and request the Audi Care package (I'm planning to keep the car for a long long time). The car currently has 29K on the clock.

Cheers!!!!

Great car! Does it do 0 to 60 mph under 4,5 s?