Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Long road to a new S5

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long road to a new S5

I'm yet another future S5 owner and wanted to join up here and say hello. I have one on order with delivery expected on September 1.

My road to the S5 (and Audi in general) was a long one. I've been a long time BMW guy, starting with a '97 E36 M3. My current 335is - which I love - goes off lease at the end of this month and I've been looking for its successor since last winter. BMW chose not to make an "is" version when it went to its F body platform for the 3/4 series, and that left me with a dilemma. I drove a new M3 and an M4 and liked them, but the lease payments were downright idiotic (buying is not an option for me - I have a "use or lose" lease stipend from work). The 435i was a tremendous disappointment in the driving department. I couldn't connect with it at all, and BMW has nothing to bridge the very large performance gap between it and the M cars. Though they try to dress up the 335/435's with M Sport do-dads, these don't seem to add to the driving experience and seem to me to be mostly form over function.

In a moment of temporary insanity, I looked at an RC F Sport. Maybe Lexus finally got serious about competing in this segment with a proper sporty coupe! No. It's a sheep in wolf's clothing (albeit a rather flamboyant wolf). Infiniti . . . Volvo . . . nice, but nothing to get excited about. It got so bad that I began seriously considering a 2015 Mustang GT. I loved the power curve, it handled decently and I was shocked to learn that I really liked the new interior. But then I came to my senses and remembered that I need a year 'round driver in a northern Ohio climate (I already have an RX-8 that sits in the garage from November through March).

Then on impulse I test drove an S5 and I knew I had my answer. I honestly did not expect to like it as much as I did, but there was an instant connection. The acceleration, the brakes and the handling were all very impressive. The comparatively light steering when I maneuvered out of the parking lot had me a little worried, but it tightened up nicely as the car picked up speed. I got back to the dealer and after a little negotiation I put down the deposit and the deed was done. I had done little to no research on the Audi ahead of time, and based my decision completely on how the car drove . . . I was thrilled that the Audi filled a niche that BMW seems to have walked away from.

So: Sepang Blue, Black/Lunar Silver Nappa, Twin Clutch (due to a stop and go commute and a stubborn wife), and sport diff. I hope I don't regret passing on the tech package.

Tom
Old 08-04-2015, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome to the world of 4 rings

Was interested in your comment on the 435. I have always told people that I talk to the S5 is a slightly softer 435 with a bit more power. I assumed this just based on an E46 my son drives and the BMW reputation. But, am hearing more and more from individuals and Road & Track that BMW has lost it's way of being "The Ultimate Driving Machine". That true?

Last edited by lyleswk; 08-04-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Welcome to the world of 4 rings

Was interested in your comment on the 435. I have always told people that I talk to the S5 is a 435 with a bit more power. I assumed this just based on an E46 my son drives and the BMW reputation. But, am hearing more and more from individuals and Road & Track that BMW has lost it's way of being "The Ultimate Driving Machine". That true?
It makes me sad to say that, at least as concerns the 3/4 series, I think that is true. There may be some hope with the new 2 series offerings, but I've never driven one.

The E36 M3 was a pure drivers car. It wasn't the fastest car out there in a straight line, but you felt everything. It was intuitive and predicable, but also quick to hang the tail out if that's what you wanted. Then came the E46 M3, which grew in size somewhat but got the engine most of us had wanted to see in the American version of the E36 M3. Still a great car, maybe better than the E36. E92 . . more weight, more size, more reliance upon electronics, but still an excellent driver's car with the right engine. But it's not the nimble, toss it around car that drew me to the brand. That train has left the station as far as the 3/4 series is concerned.

Now the F body. It frankly leaves me cold. The real problem areas for me are the mediocre steering and lack of communication from the chassis to your behind in the driver's seat. I've thought a lot about this over the last few years and all I can come up with is that BMW has begun to chase a different car buying demographic. Despite the tag, I think BMW no longer has as its priority engineering the ultimate driving machine.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

congrats man. Your story was almost identical to mine. I was looking at the 435 as well but was just not impressed. Fell instantly in love with the S5. I ordered mine back in june and I am also expecting it in September. Sepang blue just likes your, sports dif, nav, supercharge badges. By the time our lease is up the new model s5 will prob be in its 2nd year as well. Almost certain the 2017s with will be the all new models. Hoping it will be great cause they hit a homerun with these models.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Welcome to the club! I to took the long road so to speak. I have owned an M3 and a number of 911's from 78 through 97. Carrera 2's and 4's. They lost me when the went water cooled. I bought an S4 6 speed last June----great car. Beginning of this June someone ran a red, hit me head on and totaled the car with a whopping 3K miles on it. Walked away with a broken right wrist and consider myself lucky! I started looking for another S4 and then decided I have never needed 4 doors so I to took another look at BMW. I to drove a 435IX with an M package 6 speed and I really wanted to like it. I went back and drove the car 3 or 4 times and could not connect with the car. I found an S5 with a 6 speed, black optics package etc and immediately fell in love with this car!! I only have 600 miles on it, but wow---great ergonomics, smooth acceleration and just a ball to drive. I never thought I would like this car as much as I do. Every day I like it more and more!
Old 08-04-2015, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome to Audi...

… we have had a brace of Audi's and 3-Series before that (prior to the millennium).

You will love your S5 and the 7-speed is a pure joy, especially in aggressive driving. If you do a lot of canyon carving and long aggressive drives, the brakes will fade long before the BMW's and is the one (?) Achille's Heel of the S5. You may not encounter the issue as I did not in my six-speed S5, but did in the S-Tronic.
If you are a DIY type, the S5 is frightfully easy to service and a joy to maintain. The supercharged 3.0L just pulls right from the bottom and is a hoot to toss through the corners. You will likely find a bit more body roll than the BMW, but the quattro is secure - dig deeper into the throttle and the car settles right down. Stiffening and lowering the car will help, but you will certainly sacrifice some of the balance.

Below is a shot of the old S5…

Congratulations

Eric
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2015, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Congrats, and welcome to the S5 club! I went from an '11 S5 Cab to a '13 GS F-Sport. When it was time to trade I just couldn't warm up to the looks of the RC. I went back to an S5 Coupe and couldn't be happier. It is a hoot to drive.

BTW, Sepang/Black/Lunar is outstanding! I would have gone for that combo if there had been one available. Great choice!
Old 08-05-2015, 06:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

BINGO! same here after some infiniti's that didnt do much for me I drove an S5. Got a 2015 black S5 convertible, looks great, handles great, and sounds great in sport mode. Finally covered all my requirements.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's good to get a little positive reinforcement.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueDPS
Thanks for the warm welcome! It's good to get a little positive reinforcement.
We are all here to support you, but most of your positive reinforcement will come from driving the car!

Quick Reply: Long road to a new S5