Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Mounted iPhone 5 to AMI

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounted iPhone 5 to AMI

I have a ProClip mount for my iPhone 5, but right now it's not connected into the audio system at all (other than bluetooth for calls and such). I have a separate iPod Classic in the glove compartment for music and podcasts. I like that the Classic can actually hold all of my music (the iPhone can't), but it's a real hassle to have to bring it in to sync podcasts all the time. So I'm thinking of trying to connect my iPhone into the AMI in place of the iPod. I'm wondering if any of you have done this, and what works best.

I looked into the bluetooth audio solutions and they all seemed to have issues.

Other options I'm considering:

* Get an AMI 3.5mm stereo cable, along with a 3.5mm extension cable to reach from the glove box to the phone mounted on the dash. This would carry the audio, but I wouldn't get any control in the car interface, and it would require two cables to the phone (the current Lightning cable for power plus one for audio).

* Get a 30 pin to lightning adapter and attach it at the phone, plus a 30 pin extension cable. This seems straightforward; the only real downside is that the adapter plus cable at the phone might look kind of bulky.

* Get a 30 pin to lightning adapter and attach it to the AMI cable in the glove box, plus a Lightning extension cable. This seems cleanest visually, but I haven't been able to find a Lightning extension cable that seems long enough (and there don't appear to be any that are officially sanctioned by Apple, though I don't care about that if it works).

Are you using any of these solutions with success, or something else?

It seems like the ideal would be this but much longer (and ideally black), but that doesn't exist as far as I can see...