Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

My Stealth Subwoofer Cubby Box Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Stealth Subwoofer Cubby Box Project

Hey folks! I wanted to share a project I've worked on for a couple months and has finally started coming to fruition.

It started out when I decided to add a subwoofer to my S5 since we all know how the bass is B&O or not. My taste errs on the OEM looking side of things so i wanted to keep it low profile and clean looking. I went to a local shop and they quoted me $2100 for the build and install so i decided I could learn to do it myself! I had my first go with fiberglass and ended up with this...

so i was successful in that I built a box for the cubby. It sounds good, but when I was making the face, it cured slightly crooked preventing my JL Audio 10w6 from fitting how i wanted it to. My intention was to fabricate a faceplate of sorts to finish off the look, but I had to use a spacer to get the speaker to fit and it just foiled my plans..So back to the drawing board I went. I offered the old box for sale on another forum and more than one person expressed interest, so I figured since I'd be rebuilding a box, i might as well do what I can to make it so I could build more than one since I enjoy the process.

I used the original box to refine the shape of the original box and came up with this!

After some additional prep work, i was able to start working on a mold

A member on that forum asked if I could potentially make a box for the right side cubby. I said I'd give it a try so I made a shape and mold for that side as well

Success!!

This time around I thought ahead a bit more and decided to make the entire baffle the shape of the cubbies

Using a router, I was able to make 3/4" MDF sit flush
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...1eae95b3ff.jpg

And ended up with this!

Still finishing up a right box...

...but this has been a very fun project.

It's taken up my entire weekends for the past few months, but I learned a lot and am very happy with the results.

Happy Listening!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's great work. I have a 2015 A5 Cab. What would you charge for a left or right side box? Do you have any pictures showing how you connected the sub-woofer to the radio?
Old 04-29-2015, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by icemancometh
That's great work. I have a 2015 A5 Cab. What would you charge for a left or right side box? Do you have any pictures showing how you connected the sub-woofer to the radio?
thank you! Unfortunately, it doesn't fit Cabs :-/ The cubby spaces are different due to the machinery for the top.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to revive an old thread but if you still have the molds I would be interested in one Can you measure the volume on the cubbys?