Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice please

The driver side window was left open on my s5 for multiple days without my knowledge. I live in a very humid and hot climate and there was multiple days of rain. After looking at the damage it appears that it rained and dried through excessive heat multiple time on my driver side seat. The leather seems to be dried out and ruined in multiple places. All of the mechanical aspects of the seat still work. What is my best course of action?
Old 06-25-2015, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliffordbd7
The driver side window was left open on my s5 for multiple days without my knowledge. I live in a very humid and hot climate and there was multiple days of rain. After looking at the damage it appears that it rained and dried through excessive heat multiple time on my driver side seat. The leather seems to be dried out and ruined in multiple places. All of the mechanical aspects of the seat still work. What is my best course of action?
If you have not tried any leather reconditioning products I would suggest you do so (Google search on what products to get) but if it was my car I would find a professional shop to see what they say (Detailers)
Old 06-26-2015, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Reggie
If you have not tried any leather reconditioning products I would suggest you do so (Google search on what products to get) but if it was my car I would find a professional shop to see what they say (Detailers)
Thanks I plan on looking into it today. Any idea how much reupholstery is going to cost me if I have to go that route?
Old 06-26-2015, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Pictures

Old 06-26-2015, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damn...

... sorry for that - no fun at all.

I agree that a professional opinion will be helpful. Leather is tough stuff, so it is not likely ruined. I have been quire happy with Griot's Leather Rejuvenator (one of three leather products they make).

Here is the URL: Leather Rejuvenator, 8 Ounces - Griot's Garage

It has worked very well for me. I have never had that happen to one of my cars but I have used it on old damaged leather on other cars and it softens and re-lubricates the hide.

Another phenomenal product is made by Connolly (yes, the provider of leather for Rolls Royce) called "Hide Food". It is lanolin based (rendered sheep fat) so has a limited shelf life (which is why retailers don't like to stock it). Lanolin will bring those hides back for sure. The discoloration you see may be more complicated.

Connolly Hide Care - Hide Care Leather Conditioner, Connolly Leather Conditioner, Hide Food

A company called Colour Lock produces small color-correct kits to restore damaged leather (Audi Leather Dye Color, 150ml)

Good luck - please keep us posted then create a DIY posting for us when you are done :-)

Eric
Attached Images   

Last edited by eric strauss; 06-27-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by eric strauss
... sorry for that - no fun at all.

I agree that a professional opinion will be helpful. Leather is tough stuff, so it is not likely ruined. I have been quire happy with Griot's Leather Rejuvenator (one of three leather products they make).

Here is the URL: Leather Rejuvenator, 8 Ounces - Griot's Garage

It has worked very well for me. I have never had that happen to on of my cars but I have used it on old damaged leather on other cars and it softens and re-lubricates the hide.

Another phenomenal product is made by Connolly (yes, the provider of leather for Rolls Royce) called "Hide Food". It is lanolin based (rendered sheep fat) so has a limited shelf life (which is why retailers don't like to stop it). Lanolin will bring those hides back for sure. The discoloration you see may be more complicated.

Connolly Hide Care - Hide Care Leather Conditioner, Connolly Leather Conditioner, Hide Food

A company called Colour Lock produces small color-correct kits to restore damaged leather (Audi Leather Dye Color, 150ml)

Good luck - please keep us posted then create a DIY posting for us when you are done :-)

Eric
Eric,

Thanks very much for the help. Currently have been talking to my insurance agency to see if I can file a claim without getting crushed expense wise and get new leather altogether. If I try to recondition I will definitely set up a DIY thread for you guys and use the products you recommended. Once again your help is greatly appreciated
Old 06-26-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Eric,

Thanks very much for the help. Currently have been talking to my insurance agency to see if I can file a claim without getting crushed expense wise and get new leather altogether. If I try to recondition I will definitely set up a DIY thread for you guys and use the products you recommended. Once again your help is greatly appreciated
Be sure to weigh any possible insurance premium increase and deductible against paying for reconditioning the seats professionally yourself first before filing a claim.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default If your window had been smashed rather than simply left open

Eric,

you would have been covered for comprehensive. I seriously doubt your insurance company would cover your negligence. You might look into a used seat for your car, replace the entire thing. I would guess $400-500 or just get a new Audi seat cover and have it installed for probably the same price.

Upholstery varies depending on where you live…there are a lot of places in southern california that do this stuff custom...
Old 07-08-2015, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you were to crash your car into a tree, although it would be through your own negligence, the insurance would pay. Accordingly, The fact that you are the one that left the window open is not relevant unless your insurance policy has different coverage for vandalism.
Your insurance should pay and most insurance companies do not increase your premiums for a single claim.