Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New front pads on RS5 after 8,900 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New front pads on RS5 after 8,900 miles?

Does this sound odd to anyone? I know there is some extreme variance here, especially if the car is tracked. However, my driving was exclusively on the street. I'd definitely get on the brakes hard now and then, but still, 8,800 miles seems awfully quick to go through a set of pads.

For context, the car has a total of 8,800 miles. The front discs were replaced under warranty as the original ones somehow managed to warp. Was experiencing brake shudder under hard braking. They did NOT replace the pads when they replaced the discs.

Brakes seem fussy on this car. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-22-2014, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

There's a longish thread on AZ about this issue. Seems like a number of folks are experiencing issues with the OE brakes on the RS5, RS7 and R8. Some went through several rotors in only a few thousand miles due to vibration just like you describe and short pad life. It's unclear what's going on. My pads lasted 24k miles and were still 1 mm from tripping the sensor. Just for context, I did European delivery, drove over 4000 miles, mostly the German Autobahn. Many high speed emergency braking maneuvers while there. Also, took it for a few spins around the Nurburgring and here in the US, I'm regularly going for fun drives on canyon and mountain roads, but haven't been on the track again since the Nurburgring.

I never had any of these issues with the OE brakes, but maybe Audi changed pad manufactures or something, so I decided to upgrade my brakes last week instead of putting another set of OE pads on it.

I put on ECS Tru-Float rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ECS stainless steel brake lines and Torque racing brake fluid. It's a nice improvement over the OE setup. Some other owners have ditched the OE pads and put on Hawk HPS with OE rotors and supposedly that cured the issue.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, I will see if I can find the thread on AZ. Appreciate the response.

Mike
Old 12-23-2014, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I thought warping is due solely because of over-torquing the lugs? ...otherwise this guy is gonna have some major warpage
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
There's a longish thread on AZ about this issue. Seems like a number of folks are experiencing issues with the OE brakes on the RS5, RS7 and R8. Some went through several rotors in only a few thousand miles due to vibration just like you describe and short pad life. It's unclear what's going on. My pads lasted 24k miles and were still 1 mm from tripping the sensor. Just for context, I did European delivery, drove over 4000 miles, mostly the German Autobahn. Many high speed emergency braking maneuvers while there. Also, took it for a few spins around the Nurburgring and here in the US, I'm regularly going for fun drives on canyon and mountain roads, but haven't been on the track again since the Nurburgring.

I never had any of these issues with the OE brakes, but maybe Audi changed pad manufactures or something, so I decided to upgrade my brakes last week instead of putting another set of OE pads on it.

I put on ECS Tru-Float rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ECS stainless steel brake lines and Torque racing brake fluid. It's a nice improvement over the OE setup. Some other owners have ditched the OE pads and put on Hawk HPS with OE rotors and supposedly that cured the issue.

On the RS4 when it was introduced some people had to replace pads that early - so much was based on the driving style of the person. I have 33K on my RS but I switched to Centric Pads (low dust) very early on.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I thought warping is due solely because of over-torquing the lugs? ...otherwise this guy is gonna have some major warpage
This guy has carbon ceramic brakes, that's a whole other game. One can overheat steel rotors and ruin them, or you can get uneven pad deposits or the rotors can indeed get warped if they didn't heat and expand evenly. Warped rotors is an overused term, though. Properly bedding one's brakes has a lot to do with how they are going to perform. Besides the rotors, you can also overcook the pads and glace them, so the pad compound plays a big role, too. The stock pads are not very heat resistant, so much is clear. They are a compromise between DD comfort and performance.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-23-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Just turned 34K miles on my 2013 RS5. Daily driver. No brake issues whatsoever.