Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New owner! B8.5 S5!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner! B8.5 S5!

Hey guys! So I recently purchased my first Audi ^.^

It's a 6MT also! None of that AT stuff

Super excited to start working on it!

Here is a pic:

So I have a few questions! If anyone would like to answer a few of them before I go on a forum search spree, I would very much appreciate any input!

1. I purchased a LED kit for the lights. I was able to change just about every single one of them with ease, except for ONE. The DOME console I can't get it to come off.... I removed the screw inside the sunglasses holder and I tried prying the corners by the sunroof but IT JUST WONT COME OFF.... All the other lights were super easy to pry off... Is there any specific trick I'm missing?

2. Any suggestions on better brake pads that wont generate so much dust? I wash the wheels like every other day and with minimal driving they get ridiculously dirty.... never had this issue with any of my previous cars. (Maybe ceramic pads? or different rotors might help at all?)

3. Looking to lower the car a bit, almost settled on H&R Sport springs + Spacers (The one with a slightly lower drop). Anyone has had any issues except for the a bit stiffer ride?

4. Pulley upgrade + Stage II tune... So far I was recommended the APR one. I looked into stasis but it seems they are not in business anymore? I find mostly 2013 posts about this subject, wondering since it's 2015 if there are better options with warranty etc etc. Also something about not having to remove the ECU? Is that better / cheaper?

Would I need to get more upgrades right off the bat if I wanted the peace of mind of nothing going bad? Like better cooling system? I know Intake / Exhaust is recommended for overall performance increase, but I'm thinking maintenance here.

5. Any known issues I should look out for? I read alot about the carbon built up, and is it worse on the 4.2 engine compared to the 3.0? Any estimate in terms of miles to go get it cleaned / checked out? If so, when should I check it out for the 3.0 engine?

I think this is it for now... I know it is a fairly long post for a first time hehe but thanks in advance for any input / suggestions and have a great day everyone!

Regards,

Bruno
Old 04-22-2015, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Congratulations

Well done… I had a 2013 S5 in white with a 6-speed manual that was an absolute joy. One of my favorite Audis. With respect to you questions:

Fuel mileage - in everyday highway driving, I would get close to 30mpg, around town in the low 20's. In the mountains under spirited conditions, more like 12-14mpg. The supercharger and torquey nature of the motor allow you to short-shift or rev as desired.

The Brake pad issue is a bear. One of the reasons that the brakes are so good is that you have a readily sacrificial surface on the pads. Less dust either commits the rotors to faster wear or lengthened stopping distances. The folks at Stop-Tech in North Carolina are very knowledgeable and can provide the right solution for you. I have used their services for years - even on odd-ball cars. You can send them an old pad and they will build you a set from scratch. With our new S4, we have the titanium wheel package, but I still wipe the wheel with a speed-shine dampened microfiber towel each night.

I would urge caution with engine modifications. The warranty issues are a real mine field. Tread with caution

If you are lowering your car to improve handling, I would first invest in a lower cross brace and a few other trinkets and see how you like the response. Slammed is a tough sell for roads that aren't perfect. The car can become skittish and a real handful.

I have had eight Audi's and never had any engine issues, save for a failed water pump in a brand new Q5 - but it was endemic to that year with Audi's and BMW's. I change the oil at twice the frequent of the recommended intervals. However, I have at least one or two long spirited drives per week (150+ miles) so the cars get up to full operating temperatures throughout.

Best wishes

Eric
Old 04-23-2015, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, me too. I was at the dealer for an oil change on my treasured S6 5.2. I was visiting with sales while waiting and bemoaning the lack of a manual tranny in the S6. The salesman suggested I drive a 6 sp S5 on the floor. I declined but he said "C'mon, lets go, I would really like to take a drive in the car myself." Well, I did and I was hooked. The car was perfectly equipped and with a huge discount, but the car was RED!!!
It took some effort but I did find a car equipped as I wanted, ie, 6 speed, sport diff and adaptive suspension. Not the color I would have preferred, but satisfactory. REALLY fun to drive. I love the engine note.

I have added a boost gauge (P3Cars) and a pocket net in the trunk. I plan no other changes.

Oh, and I have kept the S6. That car is too loved to let it go.

Eric
[15 S5, 08 S6, 02 RT-10, 53 XK-120 (hers), 14 Tesla (hers, too), Chry CQ, 09 FLHRC, 95 FLH, 07 FLHRC (hers) and a little truck]
Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EricAl
Well, me too. I was at the dealer for an oil change on my treasured S6 5.2. I was visiting with sales while waiting and bemoaning the lack of a manual tranny in the S6. The salesman suggested I drive a 6 sp S5 on the floor. I declined but he said "C'mon, lets go, I would really like to take a drive in the car myself." Well, I did and I was hooked. The car was perfectly equipped and with a huge discount, but the car was RED!!!
It took some effort but I did find a car equipped as I wanted, ie, 6 speed, sport diff and adaptive suspension. Not the color I would have preferred, but satisfactory. REALLY fun to drive. I love the engine note.

I have added a boost gauge (P3Cars) and a pocket net in the trunk. I plan no other changes.

Oh, and I have kept the S6. That car is too loved to let it go.

Eric
[15 S5, 08 S6, 02 RT-10, 53 XK-120 (hers), 14 Tesla (hers, too), Chry CQ, 09 FLHRC, 95 FLH, 07 FLHRC (hers) and a little truck]
Pics of the XK-120 and the Imperial? You have a wonderful stable.. jealous! What color S5 did you get?
Old 04-23-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

The color is Florett Silver. I had really wanted black or at least a dark color but just could not find one with the equipment.

The Jag:

I don't have an uploadable pic of the CQ but I am greatly impressed that you knew what it is.

Eric
Ventura, Ca
Old 04-24-2015, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

The color is Florett Silver. I had really wanted black or at least a dark color but just could not find one with the equipment.

The Jag:

I don't have an uploadable pic of the CQ but I am greatly impressed that you knew what it is.

Eric
Ventura, Ca
I really like my Florett Silver. Once the sun hits it you'll be in love!
Old 04-25-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

]
red is where it's at!
Old 04-25-2015, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mikejaeggi
red is where it's at!
Your red S5 is hot, but some of us like to be stealth. ;-)
Old 04-26-2015, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by brunogomes
Hey guys! So I recently purchased my first Audi ^.^

It's a 6MT also! None of that AT stuff

Super excited to start working on it!

Here is a pic:

So I have a few questions! If anyone would like to answer a few of them before I go on a forum search spree, I would very much appreciate any input!

1. I purchased a LED kit for the lights. I was able to change just about every single one of them with ease, except for ONE. The DOME console I can't get it to come off.... I removed the screw inside the sunglasses holder and I tried prying the corners by the sunroof but IT JUST WONT COME OFF.... All the other lights were super easy to pry off... Is there any specific trick I'm missing?

2. Any suggestions on better brake pads that wont generate so much dust? I wash the wheels like every other day and with minimal driving they get ridiculously dirty.... never had this issue with any of my previous cars. (Maybe ceramic pads? or different rotors might help at all?)

3. Looking to lower the car a bit, almost settled on H&R Sport springs + Spacers (The one with a slightly lower drop). Anyone has had any issues except for the a bit stiffer ride?

4. Pulley upgrade + Stage II tune... So far I was recommended the APR one. I looked into stasis but it seems they are not in business anymore? I find mostly 2013 posts about this subject, wondering since it's 2015 if there are better options with warranty etc etc. Also something about not having to remove the ECU? Is that better / cheaper?

Would I need to get more upgrades right off the bat if I wanted the peace of mind of nothing going bad? Like better cooling system? I know Intake / Exhaust is recommended for overall performance increase, but I'm thinking maintenance here.

5. Any known issues I should look out for? I read alot about the carbon built up, and is it worse on the 4.2 engine compared to the 3.0? Any estimate in terms of miles to go get it cleaned / checked out? If so, when should I check it out for the 3.0 engine?

I think this is it for now... I know it is a fairly long post for a first time hehe but thanks in advance for any input / suggestions and have a great day everyone!

Regards,

Bruno
Buno:

What is the grill on your car. It is very different from mine, also a 2015 S5. Have you changed it?? To what??

Eric

Old 04-29-2015, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did some hypermiling on the way to church last sunday and got 38 mpg. On a trip it gets 30-32. Overall since purchase, average is 24 mpg. Getting an A6 for the wife. It has the 3.0SC engine with 333 hp. Identical to the S5. 0-60 in 5.1.

Wheel solution, get titanium wheels. You don't see the dust.

Quick Reply: New owner! B8.5 S5!