Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New RS5 is having a 2.9 liter V6!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
I think the B8.5 RS5 will become an Audi classic with its naturally aspirated V8 engine.
I disagree. Whilst is a 'good' all round car, it is not what I would describe as exceptional at anything in particular and will therefore not go down as one of the 'classics'.

The B7 RS4, on the hand, was ground breaking for Audi at the time and delivered a better driving experience than the RS5 (all in my opinion by the way, having owned both).
Old 10-27-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
In the '17 A4, it is not turbo lag, it is the DSG tranny. With that said, there is absolutely NO lag in the '17 A4 if you pull back the shift lever and put it in Sport from a standing start. Drive is another story altogether, but no lag in Sport. The trick is to have it in Sport when you launch and move to Drive when you are underway. I have 1,000 miles on mine and can vouch for that. As Donald Trump would say, "Wrong... wrong... wrong..." :-)
No, it is a combination of turbo lag and the feathered throttle map. I remember the thread you had going on this topic. Don't remember if I participated or not, but the '17 A4 is not unique in this. I've driven the 2.0T in several other models, including the previous gen A4, and they all do this. DSG or not. For example, I equally didn't like the A6 2.0T with tiptronic loaners I had a few times for the exact same lag issues. They are all the same. I think I just notice this much more, because I'm so used to a super responsive NA engine. Say what you want about high strung NA engines such as the RS5 V8, but you can't beat the throttle response. Turbo engines simply can't match that unless they resort to tricks to keep the turbos spinning such as the M3/4 does in Sport+ for a brief moment.

In S it switches to a more aggressive throttle map that requires less throttle input from the driver to get the rpms quicker into boost range, that's why you don't notice it there. Off the line was just one example. Other examples are if you are cruising along on the highway in manual mode and 7th gear and then try to pass somebody. There is no go at this point w/o downshifting and getting the rpms in the boost range, or braking into a corner and then powering out at the apex. In the latter case the turbo spins down and then needs to spin up again once you get back on the throttle. This is what the M3/4 addresses by injecting some fuel through the corner to keep the exhaust stream going, so you can instantly power out of the corner again.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-27-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
I think I just notice this much more, because I'm so used to a super responsive NA engine. Say what you want about high strung NA engines such as the RS5 V8, but you can't beat the throttle response. Turbo engines simply can't match that unless they resort to tricks to keep the turbos spinning such as the M3/4 does in Sport+ for a brief moment.
The 'problem', at least from my perspective, with the RS5 is the lack of torque, particularly down low (peak torque is delivered at something like 4K RPM), and the peaky power delivery (max power is delivered at something like 8,200 RPM). Whilst it might have throttle response, it doesn't have the bucketloads of torque to be able to take advantage of it.

When the car is carrying as much weight as the RS5 does, this really blunts the performance and means that you really need to maintain revs high up in the power band to extract the best from the car. That's fine for a car that's spends most of it's time on a racetrack or winding country roads/canyons, but for one that lives in suburbia you are very rarely going to be able to get the most from it/exploit it.

The above sums up in part why I recently sold my RS5.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Alister
The 'problem', at least from my perspective, with the RS5 is the lack of torque, particularly down low (peak torque is delivered at something like 4K RPM), and the peaky power delivery (max power is delivered at something like 8,200 RPM). Whilst it might have throttle response, it doesn't have the bucketloads of torque to be able to take advantage of it.

When the car is carrying as much weight as the RS5 does, this really blunts the performance and means that you really need to maintain revs high up in the power band to extract the best from the car. That's fine for a car that's spends most of it's time on a racetrack or winding country roads/canyons, but for one that lives in suburbia you are very rarely going to be able to get the most from it/exploit it.

Great, objective input from someone who owned an RS5 and is willing to share the pros and cons. If anything, it will go down in history as one of the most beautiful cars Audi produced, even if not the most practical for everyday driving.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

If anything, it will go down in history as one of the most beautiful cars Audi produced, even if not the most practical for everyday driving.
No argument from me there - love the way it looks, in addition to the build quality, fit and finish etc. Those are definitely some of the things that drew me to the RS5 in the first place.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

No, it is a combination of turbo lag and the feathered throttle map. I remember the thread you had going on this topic. Don't remember if I participated or not, but the '17 A4 is not unique in this. I've driven the 2.0T in several other models, including the previous gen A4, and they all do this. DSG or not. For example, I equally didn't like the A6 2.0T with tiptronic loaners I had a few times for the exact same lag issues. They are all the same. I think I just notice this much more, because I'm so used to a super responsive NA engine. Say what you want about high strung NA engines such as the RS5 V8, but you can't beat the throttle response. Turbo engines simply can't match that unless they resort to tricks to keep the turbos spinning such as the M3/4 does in Sport+ for a brief moment.

In S it switches to a more aggressive throttle map that requires less throttle input from the driver to get the rpms quicker into boost range, that's why you don't notice it there. Off the line was just one example. Other examples are if you are cruising along on the highway in manual mode and 7th gear and then try to pass somebody. There is no go at this point w/o downshifting and getting the rpms in the boost range, or braking into a corner and then powering out at the apex. In the latter case the turbo spins down and then needs to spin up again once you get back on the throttle. This is what the M3/4 addresses by injecting some fuel through the corner to keep the exhaust stream going, so you can instantly power out of the corner again.
Yes, you did participate. You called the 2.0T a "horrible" engine, then in another thread an "econo" engine. "Horrible" hardly describes an engine that gets from 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, and "econo" doesn't make it into a car that sells for $50k. I will reiterate that I traded an S5 for my A4 and, considering the total package, don't feel it is inferior at all.

Last edited by dseag2; 10-27-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Alister

Yes, I've said this before, you need to have access to the right roads to fully enjoy the RS5.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, you did participate. You called the 2.0T a "horrible" engine, then in another thread an "econo" engine. "Horrible" hardly describes an engine that gets from 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, and "econo" doesn't make it into a car that sells for $50k. I will reiterate that I traded an S5 for my A4 and, considering the total package, don't feel it is inferior at all.
Yeah, "horrible" is probably a bit harsh in retrospect, but it is the eco engine among the US trim levels. Europe/RoW is a different story. The engine does have some oomph once it has boost. I just find it soulless and outside of boost it's a dog, which manifests itself in the examples I listed above. It definitely all depends on where and how you drive. I buy my cars to have fun in the canyons such as the example above, and for road trips through the California backroads. I don't commute and don't drive much in city traffic.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Little Tujunga Canyon?

… looking back towards Santa Clarita? That road is closed because of the fire… hoping to reopen soon. I love slinging the car through there - yes the RS5 is in its glory in that setting.
You can see a few corners ahead and have the car run hard in third gear - the warble sound off the canyon wall is glorious :-)

Can't wait for sunday...

Yes, I've said this before, you need to have access to the right roads to fully enjoy the RS5.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

This one is for you

He rather likes the A5 Sportback 2.0TFSI quattro

Quick Reply: New RS5 is having a 2.9 liter V6!