Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New RS5 with no manual?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superswiss
You need to read what I wrote more carefully. The fluid that's changed at 35k and every 40k after that is the ATF fluid. I'm talking about the MTF fluid. These are two separate items. Below is a snippet from the maintenance schedule if you don't believe me.

No, I haven't driven a B8 RS. Most of the differences are apparent if you drive the car hard. There's actually a thread going on on Audizine in the S4 forum about up to 1 second delays on downshifts if you downshift in the higher rpm band. Delays like that simply don't occur in the RS5.

Interesting. After looking at the 2015 schedule, this does appear to be an RS5 only thing. Do you know exact why that is ? what is so different and what makes this necessary for the RS5 and not the other RS/R models ? Again, if you can find and post the link that actually explains the technical aspect of this because I will like to find out more about this and why.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
<<<@!1!@>>>

I was referring to your posting comments about a transmission in a car that you've never even driven.

And, even if you haven't experienced one yet, all you'd have to do is watch any number of video reviews of the RS5 to see reviewer after reviewer rave about how good the gearbox is in the RS5.

2014 Audi RS5 vs 2014 Mercedes-Benz C63 507 Coupe! - Head 2 Head Ep. 51 - YouTube

Skip to the 6 minute mark.
What !?

Last edited by Tifosi; 06-04-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Tifosi
Interesting. After looking at the 2015 schedule, this does appear to be an RS5 only thing. Do you know exact why that is ? what is so different and what makes this necessary for the RS5 and not the other RS/R models ? Again, if you can find and post the link that actually explains the technical aspect of this because I will like to find out more about this and why.
I don't know the exact technical reason, so some of this is my theory and educated guesses based on what I do know. The RS5 and RS4 (not avail. in US) for that matter, are the only RS cars with the DL501 transmission. The DL501 was not conceived as a high performance transmission from the ground up. Quattro Gmbh took it from Audi and tuned the hell out of it for the RS5 and RS4. So, the extra maintenance in my opinion is to deal with the extra stress that is put on this transmission due to the tune. The TTRS is based on a different platform, so it has the DQ250 transmission at least where it was sold with it. We all know that transmission has some serious issues. The RS6 and RS7 don't have a dual-clutch transmission. They got a highly tuned version of the ZF 8-speed slushbox, because the DL501 cannot handle the torque. Now the R8 is a different animal. The S-tronic in the R8 was specifically built for the R8 from the ground up, because the DL501 is too big to fit. Being built as a high performance transmission from the ground up has its advantages and one of them is that Quattro Gmbh was able to work the additional stress into the design, so it doesn't need extra maintenance.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't know the exact technical reason, so some of this is my theory and educated guesses based on what I do know. The RS5 and RS4 (not avail. in US) for that matter, are the only RS cars with the DL501 transmission. The DL501 was not conceived as a high performance transmission from the ground up. Quattro Gmbh took it from Audi and tuned the hell out of it for the RS5 and RS4. So, the extra maintenance in my opinion is to deal with the extra stress that is put on this transmission due to the tune. The TTRS is based on a different platform, so it has the DQ250 transmission at least where it was sold with it. We all know that transmission has some serious issues. The RS6 and RS7 don't have a dual-clutch transmission. They got a highly tuned version of the ZF 8-speed slushbox, because the DL501 cannot handle the torque. Now the R8 is a different animal. The S-tronic in the R8 was specifically built for the R8 from the ground up, because the DL501 is too big to fit. Being built as a high performance transmission from the ground up has its advantages and one of them is that Quattro Gmbh was able to work the additional stress into the design, so it doesn't need extra maintenance.
I did find a thread on the DL501 system on AZ ( See link: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-tronic-(DL501) ) that explains it in great detail, which I think is very educational and informative.

We all agree that the only variant here is that the RS5's MTF is changed regularly while the others are "lifetime" fluids. And unless I am mistaken, that is why you believe that the RS5 system, coupled with faster gear change would indicate that it is a better unit than the others DL501 units.

Now, if we are to believe what is on that AZ thread, the MTF system incorporates only the following parts of the drivetrain: the manual gearbox, central differential and front axel drive while the ATF supplies the dual clutch, the mechatronic unit which is the "brain" of the entire DSG system and for cooling the system.

We all know that Quattro GmbH took the system and tune it further for the RS4/RS5. And I agree with you that they most likely made the system more aggressive to improve feel via software tune, which lead to the need to change it routinely as there are now more wear and tear on the gearbox. but I do not agree that a preventive/maintenance change to the system is a true evidence of significant improvements made on the DL501 unit. Also, I am sure that you are most likely well aware of that both GIAC and APR have their own DL501 software upgrade for the S4/S5 twins, while they may improve the feel of the system, they are also more stressful on the system and does nothing to improve the system mechanically. I would dare say that for those that did the GIAC/APR DSG tune should strongly consider following Audi's maintenance schedule for the RS5 on the DSG system.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

That's mostly on the point. However, my understanding is still that Quattro Gmbh also tuned the transmission mechanically. Here's an article from Car and Driver that I found again, that speaks briefly to that point.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

From the article:

For its part, Audi seems to be very concerned with those precious 10ths, as it has reportedly sped up the dual-clutch’s shift times for 2013 by reworking the transmission’s hydraulics. Shifts are banged off quickly, but the last RS5 we drove banged off shifts, too, and whatever improvement exists is too small for us to notice without having instrumented test numbers to back it up. Downshifts arrive quickly—so quickly, in fact, that the transmission occasionally slams into a lower gear. When creeping to a stop, there’s an occasional buck as the transmission selects lower gears.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are wasting time arguing over semantics. The simple fact is that the dual clutch gearbox in the RS5 shifts way better than anybody ever could with a manual and makes you quicker and smoother everywhere driving the car. A manual may seem more involving to some and/or more nostalgic to others, but it would be a step backwards in performance.

And this isn't unique to the RS5 obviously. Most high performance cars that offer a choice of a manual these days turn slower 0-60, quarter mile and lap times with the manual. Technology moves on.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's mostly on the point. However, my understanding is still that Quattro Gmbh also tuned the transmission mechanically. Here's an article from Car and Driver that I found again, that speaks briefly to that point.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

From the article:

For its part, Audi seems to be very concerned with those precious 10ths, as it has reportedly sped up the dual-clutch’s shift times for 2013 by reworking the transmission’s hydraulics. Shifts are banged off quickly, but the last RS5 we drove banged off shifts, too, and whatever improvement exists is too small for us to notice without having instrumented test numbers to back it up. Downshifts arrive quickly—so quickly, in fact, that the transmission occasionally slams into a lower gear. When creeping to a stop, there’s an occasional buck as the transmission selects lower gears.
I am not saying that GmbH didn't do anything other than a software tune but at the same time, I am also trying very hard to find out for certain that there indeed is something different simply for educational purposes.

For the record, I agree and acknowledges that the DSG system can fly through gears faster than any human can ever dream of doing around the street or the track. For example, the DCT system on the GTR are amazing when pressed especially on track conditions but they are hellish for daily duties. And since I don't live on a race track, I strongly disagree that any DSG system being better than manual gearbox for normal everyday situation. IMO, the rewards one gets from driving does not depend on how fast one can shift through the gears.

Anyway, I certainly enjoyed our discussion here and appreciated learned something that I was previously unaware of. If you happen to stumble across the literatures about what mechanical upgrades GmbH did again, please post it here or PM it to me. Thanks.