Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 272926

Default New S5/RS5 Cabrio Questions

We just got a '14 S4 sedan in March and we love it. Prestige with adaptive suspension, sports differential and 6 spd manual transmission.

My research on AudiUSA.com does not show me if the sports differential and adaptive suspensions are standard. they are not an option.

I believe the only choice of transmission is DCT...no manual.

Will audi make a hardtop cabrio in the near future?

Thanks.
PhilNotHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 146228

i was told about 5 years ago that audi would "never" make a hard top because of weight issues. it bums me out because I just dont care for the rag top look. time will tell!
\

On order:
2014 Panther Black Crystal RS5
Black leather
Carbon Fiber inlays
MMI/Nav Plus
Black Optic with sports exhaust

expected delivery: it's on the boat!!!
Andrewaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
AudiWorld Member

Thanks.

Do the rear seats fold down on the S5 and RS5 Cabrio?
Old 05-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 273987

The S5 has 50/50 split rear seat. I am not sure about the RS5
Dgrant69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 261834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgrant69 View Post
The S5 has 50/50 split rear seat. I am not sure about the RS5
The same for RS5 (cabrio). Very neat, so you can still carry long-sized luggage.
Phantom Black|Waxoil|Cognac Brown leather|Comfort seats/ventilation|Neck-heating|Heated memory seats/mirrors|Black Headlining|Piano black Inlay|B&O|MMI 3G Online|Nav Plus|AMI|Freecom XXS 500Gb HDD|DVD|TV/DAB+|Bluetooth+|Xenon+|LED rear|Adaptive Light|High-Beam assist|Light Pack|Parking Advanced|Advanced Key|Adaptive Cruise|Side Assist|20" RS5 wheels (PQI)|TPM|Dynamic Steering/Suspension|Sports differential|Hold assist|HomeLink|Track & Trace|Storage Pack
wieRS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 191633

I much prefer the soft top, as you lose very little trunk space when the top is down. Hard tops lose almost all trunk space when top is down.
---------------------
<Gone>2011 Q7 S-Line Prestige; Orca Black/Grey, Towing and Cold Weather Package
---------------------
<Gone>2011 A5 Cab; Quartz Grey/Black, Premium+, NAV Package, 19" Sport Package, B&O Sound, Exhaust Tips
Force-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force-1 View Post
I much prefer the soft top, as you lose very little trunk space when the top is down. Hard tops lose almost all trunk space when top is down.
That's a good point.

Best
Old 05-12-2014, 03:29 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 264695

The soft top is wonderful. It is really quiet when closed and you can raise and lower it while driving, albeit not at highway speeds. I personally think the look is great, better than the hardtop convertibles out there.
lemonpeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:27 AM   #9
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 81286

Having owned both soft-top and hard-top convertibles, albeit not Audis, my opinion is a bit mixed. I like the soft top for the fact that you still have trunk space with the roof retracted. But my experience of owning a BMW E36 convertible for 13 years taught me that soft tops don't age gracefully - maybe Audi's design is better, but that old E36 roof used a design with elastic straps that had to stretch and maintain tension for the roof to properly retract. Needless to say over time the elastic lost its elasticity, resulting in a very labor-intensive repair. You also have take care to NEVER go through a commercial car wash (except perhaps the "touchless" variety) and use proper cabrio cleaners and protectants for the fabric. BTW, with proper car the top maintained a nice like-new appearance throughout its life, so taking proper care of really helped.

The convertivle we now own is a hard top design (BMW E93). I don't think it will have the issue of worn elastic bands, and it's nice and quiet - like a proper tin top. But weight is an issue as is the loss of trunk space. There's a movable tray in the trunk that you have to move into a lowered position before you lower the roof - it keeps you from mistakenly trying to put the top down when there's a large object in the trunk - so you can't start out on a drive with the roof up and then decide to put it down unless you thought to do this beforehand, or stop the car, get out and make the adjustment. Also to my eye the lines of the car with the roof up are not quite right - looks a bit stodgy compared to the E92 coupe. My wife on the other hand prefers seamless look of the hard top design. To each his (or her) own.

Last edited by ChipB; 05-12-2014 at 05:30 AM.
ChipB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement