Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Oil consumption test denied

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a cat back exhaust or full on complete system? If you have not been flagged TD1 and these are the only two mods you have done, your SA/Dealer are trying to scam you. They cannot deny you engine oil test due to springs and pipes..
Have you changed the tires that came on it? Thats also a mod if you did, but it has no bearing on the warranty.. Where are you located?

Contact Audi customer service and tell them your story.. Tell them you have been in touch with several other Audi owners who all say you feel like thay are trying to rip you off at that dealership..Also tell your SA you are doing this and will report him to AoA as well.. That should loosen him up a bit..
Old 02-24-2015, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Again, good luck. I wanted to get CPO on a car that had aftermarket wheels, and Audi denied.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hy Octane
Is it a cat back exhaust or full on complete system? If you have not been flagged TD1 and these are the only two mods you have done, your SA/Dealer are trying to scam you. They cannot deny you engine oil test due to springs and pipes..
Have you changed the tires that came on it? Thats also a mod if you did, but it has no bearing on the warranty.. Where are you located?

Contact Audi customer service and tell them your story.. Tell them you have been in touch with several other Audi owners who all say you feel like thay are trying to rip you off at that dealership..Also tell your SA you are doing this and will report him to AoA as well.. That should loosen him up a bit..
The car had the mods when we bought it. The exhaust is a complete system but has no cat. Also since I did not buy it new I don't have a the service records and the need that too. I have contacted Audi and they are telling me the dealer is correct and it can't be resolved because of the mods however they are checking into it further and will have an answer today.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Excellent point. Years ago I tried Mobil-1 synthetic before they had a straight 30W, it was 10W-30 or something. Car was a 1977 Datsun 280Z fuel-injected with no prior problem with oil consumption. Changed over to Mobil-1 and it went through a quart of oil in 50 miles!!! No leaks or smoke out the tailpipe, must have burnt it in the cat.

I changed back to 30W whatever and problem went away. Couple years later I ended up with straight 30W Amsoil and didn't have a problem.

Point is that if you're getting 200miles per quart alluvasudden perhaps after an oil change (or has this been going on since new?) it could even be glazed rings or stuck oil ring(s) or something. Before you do the oil consumption test it might be useful to borescope the cylinders and see if they're scored or damaged.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Heard back from Audi and the Audi dealer. They are willing to fix it if I put a converter on the car so car will no longer throw codes. Problem now is I've checked with exhaust shops and parts stores and nobody makes a replacement CAT for this car. Also in Ohio it is illegal for a junk yard to sell a used CAT. Anyone know where I can buy a CAT?
Old 02-25-2015, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's a cat for you.

Originally Posted by lcmc
Heard back from Audi and the Audi dealer. They are willing to fix it if I put a converter on the car so car will no longer throw codes. Problem now is I've checked with exhaust shops and parts stores and nobody makes a replacement CAT for this car. Also in Ohio it is illegal for a junk yard to sell a used CAT. Anyone know where I can buy a CAT?
Race Catalytic Converter, 250 Cell Per Inch, Metal Matrix Core, Various Sizes - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

You'll also have to weld in 02 sensor bungs before and after the cat and put them back in your system.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Race Catalytic Converter, 250 Cell Per Inch, Metal Matrix Core, Various Sizes - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

You'll also have to weld in 02 sensor bungs before and after the cat and put them back in your system.
Found a CAT.. Magnaflow has direct bolt in replacement. It has O2 sensor bungs.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Car went in today for the first part of the test. Get it back tomorrow. They said drive it until it needs a quart added then bring it back. If it fails then they put in new rings and pistons unless the cylinders are damaged then it gets a new engine. Hoping for a new engine!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Car went in today for the first part of the test. Get it back tomorrow. They said drive it until it needs a quart added then bring it back. If it fails then they put in new rings and pistons unless the cylinders are damaged then it gets a new engine. Hoping for a new engine!
Sounds like a plan...let us know what happens.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good show. Hang in there!

Quick Reply: Oil consumption test denied