Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Perma Plate. Is it worth it?

Old 08-25-2009, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perma Plate. Is it worth it?

Hey all,

I just purchased my 2010 A5, black exterior with linen beige interior. The dealer has tried to sell me the $800 Perma Plate coating for the exterior and interior. Has anybody has any experience with this and think it's worth the cost? Would I just be better off spending money or more regular detailing?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by vivekjp
Hey all,

I just purchased my 2010 A5, black exterior with linen beige interior. The dealer has tried to sell me the $800 Perma Plate coating for the exterior and interior. Has anybody has any experience with this and think it's worth the cost? Would I just be better off spending money or more regular detailing?

Thanks!
I don't have experience with Perma Plate, but it sounds like a coating system, which usually means it's not permanent and also is very expensive. Dealers will do anything to squeeze more money out of people.

You're probably better off getting a quality detail job twice yearly.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just had the Diamond coating put on my car, here in Hong Kong they have something different, it might work on the same properties as the Permaplate. It took them 6 hours to finish the car and they say it's good for one year... So we'll see how it works out, I am still going to have the clear bra installed over the entire front as I think the Audi paints chip easier than other brands, as BMW and MB... Let me know if you have any questions..
Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Please, for the love of glod, don't do it. You will kick yourself forever. These treatments are absolute scams. Think of the dollars you are plunking down, and realize that soon, you'll have no reason to believe they ever did anything to your car, as it will be just like it would be without. In constant need of removing bird poo, water spots, etc, and will love a nice wax and if you dont do it, be very poorly. But you see, if you DONT spend that money up front, youll actually be able to have people properly and regularly maintain your cars exterior. If you DO waste the money, you'll think your car is somehow magically protected, but it's not. But you'll still treat it with the neglect you think you can give it. In the end, your car ends up looking like crap compared to not spending the money. Seriously, I beg you, please. Dont do it. PermaPlate? The name enough should have you howling with laughter AT the person who tries to sell it to you. It's the one thing that left a very nasty taste in my mouth about the sales process. By far and away, the biggest scam going.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by geoffrey2k
Please, for the love of glod, don't do it. You will kick yourself forever. These treatments are absolute scams. Think of the dollars you are plunking down, and realize that soon, you'll have no reason to believe they ever did anything to your car, as it will be just like it would be without. In constant need of removing bird poo, water spots, etc, and will love a nice wax and if you dont do it, be very poorly. But you see, if you DONT spend that money up front, youll actually be able to have people properly and regularly maintain your cars exterior. If you DO waste the money, you'll think your car is somehow magically protected, but it's not. But you'll still treat it with the neglect you think you can give it. In the end, your car ends up looking like crap compared to not spending the money. Seriously, I beg you, please. Dont do it. PermaPlate? The name enough should have you howling with laughter AT the person who tries to sell it to you. It's the one thing that left a very nasty taste in my mouth about the sales process. By far and away, the biggest scam going.
I know this is an old thread, but having just picked up an A7, and having had Perma Plate pushed on me, I came here to do a little research. I want to be clear. I am no fan of dealer hard-sell items; I think most are overpriced, and it never ceases to amaze me that, in this day and age, with near-transparency in auto pricing, we still have to endure that hard-sell DNA that seems congenital to car dealers. But the Perma Plate system is a lot more than you and others here are making it out to be. And while it may be overpriced, it is not a scam. I just picked up my A7 last night. I traded in an A4 Cabriolet. I take very good care of my cars. I clean them no less than twice a month, and replenish the Zaino finish at least every 3 months. But Perma Plate includes protection for the exterior, interior leather and fabrics, and the windshield. It also includes a warranty that is transferable. For some people, with light leather interiors, the warranty on leather for rips, tears, and burns might be worth it alone [one poster here had a cigarette burn on his new A7]. It is possible that PP is right for some people. I am still considering it because the all-in price ($800) is not outrageous for what is being delivered, but my concern is that it may inhibit my detailing in the months and years to come.

I am not saying that Perma Plate is a good value. Only the buyer can decide that. But i hardly think that just because someone invests in extra protection of his car, that it automatically means he is going to be lazy and never take care of it. In fact, a glance at the PP website makes it clear that they expect you to continue to take care of the finishes the dealer applies. For some people, PP may help kick them into a better car care habit, as opposed to the laziness quoted above. PP alone isn't going to keep the car looking good, but with reasonable care, it may well protect it better, afford some additional warranty protection, and return its investment. Depends on the individual. But without knowing what the price is, what the chosen finishes are, etc., how can any of us make some of the judgments quoted here?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I thought that I might want to start my own business, and being a 'car guy' spent a year at a dealership with the intent to learn the ropes. Paint protection, interior protection, pin stripes, anti-theft tags etc. are all methods to turn your dollars into the dealer's. The profit on 'protection' was close to 100%. The staff would use squeeze spray bottles to spray the sealant just ahead of the buffing machine, and the car was done in 10 minutes. I was able to purchase the same sealants from the dealer's supplier for $5 a gallon. A gallon will do a lot of cars. Granted some packages offer nice sounding guarantees, but the reality is you will never execute on them, especially those on this forum, given how we care for our machines. Use your hard-earned money for something that will actually benefit you.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For $800 I would rather pay $200 twice a year for a "top of the line" Detail......just saying!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think what you are paying for is actually insurance to repair the interior or exterior in case of stains/rips/tears/etc....there is no miracle sealant.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You are correct, Bagwell.

The miracle sealant for cloth interiors was 3M Scotchguard, which can be found on any grocery or hardware store shelf. As with extended warranties on appliances and similar revenue generation mechanisms, the odds are very much in favor of the seller.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bagwell
I think what you are paying for is actually insurance to repair the interior or exterior in case of stains/rips/tears/etc....there is no miracle sealant.
This is what I have come to discover through my recent research. We were in the middle of closing on our RS7 on Saturday when I get a business call and assume my wife would be fully capable of finishing the deal. We get home and I see she purchased the dent protection, the PermaPlate, and the HALF HOOD clear bra. I'm not sure how the hell this happened, but now I'm sitting here researching the crap out of everything and just today have spoken to 15 auto detailers from LA to Boston.

Pretty much everything that has been said is true. PermaPlate cost me $499 for the Paintguard, Fiberguard and Leatherguard. Paid it, didn't know I paid it, not complaining. I'm leaving it. They are trying to get me to come back in for the "application," but I think I'm going to just leave it alone and keep the warranty without even going back in. (kinda need to find out if that'll work...)

I have a friend who had an S6 who (as mentioned further up this thread) ashed a cigarette and it flew back in and burned a pretty big hole in his seat. Audi just replaced the leather completely because of the PermaPlate Leatherguard. I want that. I don't care how much it costs.

I'm going up in two weeks to get the RS7 nearly fully coated in SunTech and then completely coated in either OptiCoat Pro or Crystal Serum. Haven't decided yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Perma Plate. Is it worth it?