Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Possible New S5 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible New S5 Owner

Hi folks! I recently visited the local audi dealership and fell in love with a 2015 black S5. I currently drive a 2013 F150 Ecoboost, it has been my toy to mod for the last year and I'm looking for something more fun. I'm pretty new to the audi world so i was looking for some insight on the car before I look to purchase. I look to do some simple modifications to the car to unleash some power, so i was wondering what everyone's opinion is about v8 vs v6? Which year would be the best to buy? Id rather get the 2014 and save the money if there is no changes with the car. Also is there anything I should look out for when buying a used s5? I appreciate any help given and I apologize if some of these questions have been previously discussed.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default If your toy is an F150 turbo engine you won't like the S5

Originally Posted by BlackStealth
Hi folks! I recently visited the local audi dealership and fell in love with a 2015 black S5. I currently drive a 2013 F150 Ecoboost, it has been my toy to mod for the last year and I'm looking for something more fun. I'm pretty new to the audi world so i was looking for some insight on the car before I look to purchase. I look to do some simple modifications to the car to unleash some power, so i was wondering what everyone's opinion is about v8 vs v6? Which year would be the best to buy? Id rather get the 2014 and save the money if there is no changes with the car. Also is there anything I should look out for when buying a used s5? I appreciate any help given and I apologize if some of these questions have been previously discussed.
It's smaller and just not a pickup truck.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:35 PM
Loe
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

It doesn't take a whole lot to wake up the 3.0 "t" engine with basic upgrades.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a used 14 coupe. I know they changed the motor from the V8 to the v6t in 2013 I believe. I never drove the V8 personally so I don't know the seat of the pants feel difference between them. Most people on these forums seem to like the exhaust note of the v8 much more, obviously.. The v6 definitely gets the better mpg and per reviews was pretty much same performance as the v8 with stock to stock comparison. When I was looking at a S5 I didn't want the higher miles I was seeing on the used v8's. I really liked the looks of the "black optics" package also with some of the color combos. I wound up with a Estoril Blue with black optics and really like the look.

Obviously it will be nothing like a truck as far as feel and usability but it is definitely fun to drive and should put a smile on your face every time you take it out. The trunk is really huge and I have no problem throwing my bike in the back with the tires off to hit the trails. With regards to performance, like your Ecoboost, there are a ton of great options right out of the gate and a tune is going to get a huge bang for your buck. It will void any powertrain warranty in a lot of cases though. I am planning on going probably APR stage 2 in a year or 2 once the mfgr warranty is out. Nothing too crazy. I had previously a 2010 AMG C63 and some other fun cars also. There will always be something faster out there. Hell my GTI I traded in for the S5 was faster from a roll (modified of course compared to my stock S5) but the looks of the S5 are just awesome! I was cross shopping a 335/435 and the Audi just looks soooooo much better. Just my 2c. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The S4/S4 B8 family is a great balance...

.. we have enjoyed ours immensely. As far as modifications, it depends on your intended goal. The great capacity of the supercharged V6 is that is pulls so well from low rpm's. As you add power, you need t be careful not to change the power characteristics. Also, you will void the warrantee (if that matters to you). The areas to start with, imho, would be braking and handling. Upgrades in those areas will yield great improvements if you are using the car to do spirited driving in the mountains or canyons (i.e., under cornering load). If you are really about straight line speed, then some American iron is better equipped, responds well to hot-rodding and is cheaper (Camaro SS/Mustang GT with the Track Pack). Your Eco-boost is a great power plant and I can't wait to see it unleashed in the 2017 Raptor - Yowee!

The S5 is a great car and I loved every minute in my previous two...

Happy Motoring

Eric