Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Prestige Vs Premium Plus? S-line pkg suspension?

Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prestige Vs Premium Plus? S-line pkg suspension?

Hi there, pretty new here and has been looking to purchase either an A5 or S5(if budget allowed). I am very interested in the Prestige package but I was wondering if it actually worth the price compared to a Premium Plus package. In a daily basis, how useful do you guys feel about the extra features you got from your Prestige package? I am asking this because of two reason:

1. Price
2. In South CA, seems like there's not a lot of A5/S5 equipped with the Prestige package, mostly Premium Plus. That means I will need to special order and probably need to wait 3 months before I get my car. So is it worth the wait?

Also, I have a question about the S-line package, is the suspension from the S-line package really stiff compared to the stock one? I think I prefer a softer ride now.

I really appreciate any inputs from you guys.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I personally wouldn't want to do without the Prestige package, mostly for the backup camera and the push button start. I also would definitely want the B&O sound system, though you can get that without Prestige. I wouldn't necessarily say that the bang for buck is great with the Prestige package, but those just aren't features I want to do without after having gotten used to them in previous cars. If it's just a matter of the wait (not the cost), why not broaden your search a bit more to dealers in other locations? I'm sure there are Prestige A5s and S5s somewhere. I saw quite a few when I was looking at cars. If cost is more of a factor, and those features aren't critical to you, go ahead and get the Premium Plus.

As for the sport suspension, I feel like a broken record saying this, but you really should find one that has it and test drive it. There's nothing that anyone can tell you online that will give you a full understanding of the difference, and how it will feel to you. When you're spending this kind of money, I really believe it's worth it to do the legwork to try out the options before buying if there's any possible way.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It depends on what's important to you. The value is in the Premium Plus package. I ordered the Premium Plus with the B&O. You get the the B&O, push button start and memory seats additional in the Prestige. Memory seats are nice but not needed for me since I'm the only one driving the car. And I don't like the push button start because you still need to have the key in your possession so why not just put the key in. For the additional few thousand dollars, it was not worth it to me.

As for the suspension, if you like a softer ride, the S supension or the sport suspension isn't for you. It has a stiffer ride.

You have to weigh price and what's important to you.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys. It is very helpful. With Audi changing their package option all the time, it is really hard to keep track on what they are offering in each package, but I do think I have a pretty good idea now. I will definitely schedule a test drive and see then.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Advanced Key, Backup Camera, B&O, all things you really don't appreciate until you have them. They are certainly things you can do without, the car is plenty rewarding on its own, but the addition of the prestige package really completes the deal and makes this car a first class experience.
I loaded the A5 with everything because I knew I'd be hanging on to it for a while and I couldn't be happier with the decision. Not having to take the key out of your pocket is SO convenient, especially when carrying stuff. Back up camera is AWESOME, and when I bought the car, side assist was included in the Prestige package, not sure if that's still the case, but I'd highly suggest that. A HUGE plus for highway driving. Again these are things you really can't appreciate on paper but they really add up in the ownership experience.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry to go on, but I should mention that my main motivation for getting the prestige package was so I could get the S-Line package. I was/am absolutely in love with the S-Line interior and the exterior cosmetic enhancements. The ride does not bother me at all, but I was looking for a sporty feel. As has been said, that's a conclusion you'll have to come to on your own by driving the car.

Good luck-amazing car, you really can't go wrong!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great, thanks for your insight. I don't think the driver side assist is included in the package anymore. I do like the S-Line exterior, but the comfort level of the car rates higher on my list.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by konoyei
Also, I have a question about the S-line package, is the suspension from the S-line package really stiff compared to the stock one? I think I prefer a softer ride now.
The sport suspension is stiffer but not unbearably so. IMO, sport suspension is a must on this car. Driving an A4 loaner with the standard suspension after my car was a night and day difference. With the sport suspension, the car just feels so much more precise and composed.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Prestige is the way to go, at least for me it was. If I would have gone with the S5, it wouldn't have been as much of a concern for me, the main reason was the S-Line package. I don't think the A5 looks near as good without the appearance package that comes with the S-Line. I was coming from a lifted truck so gas milage was a major concern of mine, I was tired of filling up every other day. The A5 gave me the looks, comfort, and milage I was looking for.

Also, after having the car for a while, the backup camera is one of my favorite features, especially with 5% tint on the back window. The advanced key is amazing, never having to take the keys out of my pocket is a huge plus. The sport suspension is very comfortable on smoother roads. On the highway, it it very smooth and quiet. You can definitely feel the bumps but they are not unbearable. Plus the handling is just amazing. I would test drive both to just make sure though.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

if money is an issue, find a used 2010 prestige. it may take you 3 months, just like ordering, but you can save $8-10k of sticker. this is what i did...

S-line plus ECU mods make you pretty close to a S5 (IMO)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prestige Vs Premium Plus? S-line pkg suspension?