Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Really? $800 for Map Update?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really? $800 for Map Update?

I got a real shock today. Called my dealer to schedule 35,000 mile service and asked what it would cost to update my NAV (2010 S5 3G). Almost lost my cookies when he told me $800. Really, $800? Claims it takes 4 hours of labor plus the software.

Really?

Joe Cortney
Dallas, TX
2010 S5 Cab
Old 11-27-2014, 12:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcortney
I got a real shock today. Called my dealer to schedule 35,000 mile service and asked what it would cost to update my NAV (2010 S5 3G). Almost lost my cookies when he told me $800. Really, $800? Claims it takes 4 hours of labor plus the software.

Really?

Joe Cortney
Dallas, TX
2010 S5 Cab
I had the same car had mine done for $129 (NAV update). Audi Dallas.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Roads in my neck of the woods (Colorado) do not change much in such a short period of time.

For about $5 you can get an updated Rand McNally Road Atlas at WalMart. I carry one anyway in each of my cars in case the nav system fails. Never has failed but $5 is pretty cheap insurance.

You can enter the address in Mapquest and get directions to a new address in a new suburb not covered by an old map. IT'S FREE!

Or you can buy a Garmin top of the line with voice activation for about $500. You can update on your computer for about $20. You can move from car to car and even has a "walking mode" when on foot around town. Like my Audi nav it shows the altitude and your speed as well as the speed limit on major roads. Cheaper than $800. LOL

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 11-28-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could always buy the software yourself, burn a copy for backup, self install, and sell back the original on Ebay $195
Audi Navigation Plus MMI 3G North American Region Version 2011 2012 5 5 6 | eBay
Old 12-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
I had the same car had mine done for $129 (NAV update). Audi Dallas.
Weird,

I just talked to Audi Dallas and they want $550. $250 for the software and two hours to install. They tell me I can't install it myself.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid $267 for the 2012/2013 update for my '09 S5 (2G MMI). Bought it from the parts department of my local Audi dealer and installed it myself in about 15 minutes. Perhaps updating maps in the 3G MMI is more involved, but for the 2G it's a piece of cake.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have my paid invoice and the email they sent me for an estimate. This was 2 years ago.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The maps on a Smartphone work so much better and integrate via BlueTooth so well that I don't buy Map updates any more.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by sportcruiser
The maps on a Smartphone work so much better and integrate via BlueTooth so well that I don't buy Map updates any more.
They both have advantages and disadvantages. I wouldn't say that maps on a smartphone categorically work better than the MMI with the most current firmware (for your model), which I happen to run thanks to a recently replaced main unit.

I would say for occasional use and if you don't mind an unsightly phone holder on your dash or windshield, a smartphone is fine. I use mine every time I travel or if we take my wife's car on a road trip, which doesn't have built in nav.

However, for somebody like me who always leaves the MMI on map view in order to see the current traffic situation, the MMI is much better. I don't have to mount my phone, plug it in and start the map app every time I get into the car.

Another benefit of the MMI is the steering wheel integrated voice commands. For now until there is a standard to integrate the smartphone voice assistants with the steering wheel button, one has to fumble with the phone and moreover have to unlock the phone while driving. The latter is actually the biggest obstacle to seamless car/smartphone integration until smartphones come standard with a car mode, where it detects that it is connected to your car and automatically unlocks. This is all about to change with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, but you'll have to buy a new Audi to get these things.

Another advantage of the MMI nav I haven't seen on any of the smartphone map apps I've used so far is the listing of the next three upcoming exits along with gas station, food and lodging information. Some apps list upcoming maneuvers, but I haven't seen one that shows upcoming exits and nearby POI information. This part is actually super valuable on a road trip and it makes planning gas station stops etc. on a long drive so much more of a no-brainer.

Now, having said all this, no way I would pay $800 for a map update. I luckily live in a part of the country where roads don't change dramatically, so over the past decade it was sufficient to get a newer map whenever I bought a new car. With my current car I got lucky, because I needed a new MMI main module, I got fresh firmware and the latest map courtesy of Audi. However, I do look forward to my next Audi with the 4G MMI that allows for free map updates.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by superswiss
They both have advantages and disadvantages. I wouldn't say that maps on a smartphone categorically work better than the MMI with the most current firmware (for your model), which I happen to run thanks to a recently replaced main unit.

I would say for occasional use and if you don't mind an unsightly phone holder on your dash or windshield, a smartphone is fine. I use mine every time I travel or if we take my wife's car on a road trip, which doesn't have built in nav.

However, for somebody like me who always leaves the MMI on map view in order to see the current traffic situation, the MMI is much better. I don't have to mount my phone, plug it in and start the map app every time I get into the car.

Another benefit of the MMI is the steering wheel integrated voice commands. For now until there is a standard to integrate the smartphone voice assistants with the steering wheel button, one has to fumble with the phone and moreover have to unlock the phone while driving. The latter is actually the biggest obstacle to seamless car/smartphone integration until smartphones come standard with a car mode, where it detects that it is connected to your car and automatically unlocks. This is all about to change with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, but you'll have to buy a new Audi to get these things.

Another advantage of the MMI nav I haven't seen on any of the smartphone map apps I've used so far is the listing of the next three upcoming exits along with gas station, food and lodging information. Some apps list upcoming maneuvers, but I haven't seen one that shows upcoming exits and nearby POI information. This part is actually super valuable on a road trip and it makes planning gas station stops etc. on a long drive so much more of a no-brainer.

Now, having said all this, no way I would pay $800 for a map update. I luckily live in a part of the country where roads don't change dramatically, so over the past decade it was sufficient to get a newer map whenever I bought a new car. With my current car I got lucky, because I needed a new MMI main module, I got fresh firmware and the latest map courtesy of Audi. However, I do look forward to my next Audi with the 4G MMI that allows for free map updates.
I hear you, but I usually have my smartphone maps teed up before I even get in the car, and then typically just listen to the instructions via bluetooth to avoid the distraction of looking at a map. There are certainly some advantages to the MMI system, but that value proposition is getting fairly thin. In my opinion, the map updates should be part of the 3G connectivity subscription... that would help justify the cost of both.

Quick Reply: Really? $800 for Map Update?