Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear ended

So on the way to IKEA yesterday (I know, what was I thinking) this happened:

Dumb chick stops abruptly after accelerating at end of off ramp while merging into traffic. I stop. The guy behind me in a crappy accord, doesn't.

He asked if we can avoid insurance, since my damage is minimal.
I want this little blemish fixed to look like new, as the car is less than three months old. If I can tell it's there after its fixed, I'll be bummed.

It *appears* my damage is only paint deep, but I'm no expert. Does it look like the bumper and diffuser can be tepaired, or will one or both need replacement?

I don't want to jam this guy up, but want to make sure this gets fixed to my satisfaction.
What should I do? Work with the guy, or have the insurance companies hash it out?
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2015, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picture is not too clear. Nevertheless, I'd work with the guy and not involve insurance. If it gets reported as a minor accident repair on Carfax, the car will have a diminished value stigma. Not good at trade in or re-selling.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

It's your call if you want to avoid insurance, but he hit you, not the other way around. Personally, on a brand new car, I'm getting it fixed professionally. Yes, it *might* be only paint deep, but there are lots of little brackets and stuff behind those bumper skins.. I'd at least want a qualified body shop have a look.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Went through this recently on a 10 year BMW. Much to the disgust of the father of the daughter that collided with my son in a high school parking lot, I turned it over to the insurance company because he wanted one of his buddies to fix the cars which after getting an estimate from my body shop, I quickly said I wanted quality work, declined, and called my insurance company. He then went into the mode of it was my son's fault as opposed to 50-50 which I suggested from day one. Insurance ended up agreeing it was 50-50 and then credited my deductible because of the good record we had with them, so I ended up not paying anything and getting a good quality job done.

Bottom line, if he will agree to pay the money at your favorite trusted body shop, then okay. Otherwise, turn it over. Especially since you have the expensive car.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Agreed. Almost any damage to the rear is going to

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Went through this recently on a 10 year BMW. Much to the disgust of the father of the daughter that collided with my son in a high school parking lot, I turned it over to the insurance company because he wanted one of his buddies to fix the cars which after getting an estimate from my body shop, I quickly said I wanted quality work, declined, and called my insurance company. He then went into the mode of it was my son's fault as opposed to 50-50 which I suggested from day one. Insurance ended up agreeing it was 50-50 and then credited my deductible because of the good record we had with them, so I ended up not paying anything and getting a good quality job done.

Bottom line, if he will agree to pay the money at your favorite trusted body shop, then okay. Otherwise, turn it over. Especially since you have the expensive car.
cost several hundred dollars if not more. You don't want a slapbondo repair. And here's the other thing…get it repaired through YOUR insurance company and the qualified repair shop and it has a lifetime warranty. So when the paint peels or cracks (and they all do, eventually) you have recourse.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
It's your call if you want to avoid insurance, but he hit you, not the other way around. Personally, on a brand new car, I'm getting it fixed professionally. Yes, it *might* be only paint deep, but there are lots of little brackets and stuff behind those bumper skins.. I'd at least want a qualified body shop have a look.
+1

When my 2013 A6 was rear-ended four months in, it looked like no serious damage. Took it to the Audi certified shop and the bill was over $1,800.

Photo of that accident and damage attached.
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2015, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not avoid reporting it to your insurance compnay unless you know the guy really well and have high confidence that he will pay for the repair to your satisfaction. If so, then I suggest the following:

1. Take the car to your trusted body shop, not his, for an estimate. Audi maintains a list of certified Audi collision repair shops, which is a good place to start - see: Collision Repair & Repair Facilities | Audi USA

2. Get a check from the guy within the next 5 days to cover the estimate. Speed is of the essence here, because if this doesn't work out and you decide to go through your insurance you must have reported the accident within a few days of the accident, or they won't help. I think you have a week or ten days - check your policy.

3. Get the car fixed. If the estimate was too low, you will have to go back to the guy for the difference - thats where you are likely to get screwed. If he fails to pay, your recourse is small claims court.

The alternative is to call your insurance company now, and have them hash it out with his company. Assuming all agree it was 100% his fault, his insurance company will pay fully for all repairs and your rates wil not go up. This really is the least risky and easiest course to follow, and it's what I would do in this situation.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He was following too close if he didn't have time to stop.

Get it done right. Nice guys don't win.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would call my insurance company, I wouldn't trust the other guy to do the right thing.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

IN NYS you gotta file an accident report with the State within 10 days if there is personal injury, fatality or physical damage of $1,000 or more. If you don't and they find out your license can be suspended. I filed it for both my accidents and my insurance has not gone up since both my accidents were non-chargeable.

Quick Reply: Rear ended