Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

are regular car washes fine?

Old 08-02-2012, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nicoli
There can just be no end to the car washing and cleaning thing. I respect **** tendencies towards this, I really do..but at some point I say to myself - It's a car. I just won't not use something..and things get dirty. Cleaning is good, scratches and events will happen..take reasonable precautions, and life goes on. Metropolitan Detail, my fav shop in Seattle tells me there is a guy who wraps his 911 in a complete expel ultimate clear bra and drives it over the mountain passes and all year..he's my hero
OMG!!! I know that guy!! His Carrera 4S is completely covered TRUE and he does drive it over the pass on a weekly basis. Then again, he's upgrading to a GT3 RS.......so we'll see.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto car wash for S5 cabriolet

I took my Audi S5 cabriolet through auto car wash in Zurich ( " Best Car Wash)") when shipping it back to USA through European delivery program . I had no problems and looked great . I took it to a local car wash recently and it did well also . The young lady who worked the car wash entrance said " that is absolutely the best looking car I have ever seen " . She had worked there past 8 yrs ! Go Audi !!
Old 03-29-2015, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I use the same carwash in West Hollywood since the 70's.. For me its all about rinsing the car thoroughly before it begins the wash cycle and using hand washers not machines down the line.. No rotating fabric wheels or dancing curtains.. But its really getting the dust/dirt off by spraying it down first which removes the sharp dirt particles that cause the microswirls..
Old 03-29-2015, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I think it really depends on circumstances. We've had a small bit of ice and snow here in Dallas and the DOT puts salt on the roads. After it has thawed out and I've gone through all the salty slush I take it to a full service car wash so I make sure the undercarriage is clean. But then the next time I hand wash it I put a coat of wax on it. Since our weather is usually pretty good I have the advantage of hand washing most of the time.

Also, my Florett Silver is pretty easy to keep clean without swirl marks, but if I had a darker car I would probably never take it to a car wash.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If a car has two or three coats of wax, even a protectant, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be best to let the car stay dirty until there is a good day to properly wash it. I guess it's one of those "lesser of two evils" situations.

It's strange the OP's cabriolet leaks when taking it through a pressurized car wash. I don't have that problem with mine. However, I should add, mine is a garage queen so it doesn't get driven much (5,000 miles in two years). I think I've use a pressurized car wash once on it. Usually use a handheld wand which gets almost all of the dirt off then carefully dry with a microfiber towel. I put two coats of Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal on the car right after I brought it home. So far so good, no swirls marks.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

As said, if not for commercial car washes, a car would not get washed from November to April here in ND...unless you have a heated garage with a floor drain...which I do not.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never have, never will. They WILL scratch your paint, they will not get it completely clean. At least use a local hand wash service and tip them well up front to make sure they are gentle.

And leave the automatic washes to pansis in gold Lexuses.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by markbridge
It's strange the OP's cabriolet leaks when taking it through a pressurized car wash. I don't have that problem with mine. However, I should add, mine is a garage queen so it doesn't get driven much (5,000 miles in two years). I think I've use a pressurized car wash once on it. Usually use a handheld wand which gets almost all of the dirt off then carefully dry with a microfiber towel. I put two coats of Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal on the car right after I brought it home. So far so good, no swirls marks.
Never had either of my Cabriolets leak in an automatic car wash either.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mhblaw
As said, if not for commercial car washes, a car would not get washed from November to April here in ND...unless you have a heated garage with a floor drain...which I do not.
Likewise here in Alaska. No way I can wash my car in the garage (no drain or faucet), so I use the touchless car wash down the street. Does a crap job of it (never gets up under the lip above the rear license plate), but it's better than letting it sit dirty for 5 months or paying huge sums of money for professionals to do it on a regular basis.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AcuraToAudi
I agree. Just had my S5 in for its first service and had detailed it myself the night before. The dealership washed it after the service was done and left water spots all over it. It came back to me dirtier than when I dropped it off.

I'm very careful about what sponges and towels. I cringe when I think about what the sponges used by the service guys look like.

Matt
I agree 100%, I hand wash all my cars with certain products and microfuber towels. I always tell the dealer NOT to wash my car when they're done. I don't trust someone else washing my cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: are regular car washes fine?