Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Rims - 5 spoke - polished?

Old 07-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims - 5 spoke - polished?

Hi, I have a 2014 RS5 and bought it with 12k yesterday. I think one of the rims might be slightly different. 3 rims are shiny and the space on the inside can easily be wiped clean without a lot of effort. The other rim doesn't shine up and seems to be a little duller. What's really the main issue is that the inside can't be shined at all and its color is like a burnt black. Maybe the inside of the 5 spike rims are a slightly darker color. I even tried some light rubbing compound on a small area and that didn't shine it either.

Possibly it's aftermarket or ? (Junked and has sun damage?). Not sure how I can tell though. If it's OEM. I bought the car from a dealer yesterday and maybe I can try to get them to replace it. They did tell me they hit a pothole and the tire was damaged and had to be replaced. Possibly the rim was too but they should have told me but it could have been that way when they received. (Wasn't on the car fax though).

Also,now I have 1 new tire and the other 3 have 12k miles. Is there an issue with this (speedo or differential stress)? I asked them to replace all tires but they said "not in our budget". I didn't push. Got car for 65k.

Thank you

Last edited by Pdvsa; 07-05-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I wouldn't worry about the new tire..it will quickly wear to the others.

Originally Posted by Pdvsa
Hi, I have a 2014 RS5 and bought it with 12k yesterday. I think one of the rims might be slightly different. 3 rims are shiny and the space on the inside can easily be wiped clean without a lot of effort. The other rim doesn't shine up and seems to be a little duller. What's really the main issue is that the inside can't be shined at all and its color is like a burnt black. Maybe the inside of the 5 spike rims are a slightly darker color. I even tried some light rubbing compound on a small area and that didn't shine it either.

Possibly it's aftermarket or ? (Junked and has sun damage?). Not sure how I can tell though. If it's OEM. I bought the car from a dealer yesterday and maybe I can try to get them to replace it. They did tell me they hit a pothole and the tire was damaged and had to be replaced. Possibly the rim was too but they should have told me but it could have been that way when they received. (Wasn't on the car fax though).

Also,now I have 1 new tire and the other 3 have 12k miles. Is there an issue with this (speedo or differential stress)? I asked them to replace all tires but they said "not in our budget". I didn't push. Got car for 65k.

Thank you
But I would check the p/n on the 3 other wheels and compare it to the replacement. If THEY hit the pothole on YOUR car make them put the right wheel on. If the wheel was replaced before you bought the car, you'll have to push them to replace it with the right wheel.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
But I would check the p/n on the 3 other wheels and compare it to the replacement. If THEY hit the pothole on YOUR car make them put the right wheel on. If the wheel was replaced before you bought the car, you'll have to push them to replace it with the right wheel.
John is right.
Pull the bad wheel off and take a picture of the info on the inside of the rim and do the same for one of good rims. They should match.
There is the possibility the wheel was repainted at one time. I have had that done and the inside of the wheels are seldom painted as good and as smooth as the outside.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. I will get under it and compare the numbers between rims.

SloopJohn: thanks. New Tire: I thought it would wear down too but I don't really know why it would. Let me know your thoughts when you get a sec.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Pdvsa
Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. I will get under it and compare the numbers between rims.

SloopJohn: thanks. New Tire: I thought it would wear down too but I don't really know why it would. Let me know your thoughts when you get a sec.
One has to pull the wheel to see the marking clearly I think