Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 Cabrio vs coupe... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my cab. Wind at speed is just fine. Top up is quiet and no drafts. Get the cab.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidRS4
I love having a Cabriolet over a Coupe. The roof on the S5/RS5's is very good - quiet for a cab. I live in Chicago and use it year round.

I am almost positive the back seats don't go down if i remember correctly. Traveling and not at home to take a look. It does have a big trunk you can probably fit a road bike if you take the wheels off.
My back seats are split folding.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can't comment on the difference between the S5 and RS5 but my S5 Cab is the most fun I've ever had on 4 wheels. I've had convertibles for nearly 20 years and excluding the Bentley that my son brought home, haven't experienced a quieter, more comfortable, dynamic ride. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mikejaeggi
personally, I think the coupe is a sexier looking car.
As the saying goes, " A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." That applies to Cabriolets as well. Any Audi Cabriolet is worth two coupes. In my 2011 S5 Cab the back seat folds down and I am sure those in the RS5 Cab will as well. And as far as carrying something I have on many occasions dropped the top and back seats, loaded the vehicle with a large object and then raised the top. Try that with a coupe. They don't make can openers that big and if they did it would leave shap edges!!
BTW the Imola Yellow was a special order
Attached Images   

Last edited by AUDIQSS; 10-03-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cab is a few hundred lb heavier... which makes it handle a lot differently and accelerate less quickly than a coupe. Had an RS4 cab and wish I had gotten a sedan after driving one.

Definitely drive both before you commit.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just ordered a RS5 Cab Daytona Grey with Black Optics Package.

Had a Porsche Boxster S before and for me, a cab for a sports car is a must. Tested the RS5 and loved it, and for me I was looking for a 4 season car, so the RS5 has it all.

New to this board as I am now waiting for the car and should get it in April. I will go through the intro process.

Good luck on your process, tough choice !
Old 10-27-2014, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I went with the Cabrio and I am sooooo happy I did! Picked up a 2013 w/ 4k miles on it. The car arrived on Saturday and I have already had a chance to driving in an insane rain storm as well as pop the top today in the fall sunshine. I am in love with this car! I wasn't looking for a track car.. I was looking for something fun to drive to work and this is perfect. I get that it is slower and heavier than the coupe... but honestly how much faster do i really need it to be? Oh.. and the sound... intoxicating. Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. I'll post some photos later this week once I swap the lower spoilers out for the Alum Optics ones (I wanted the alum optics but the car i found didn't have it. Might also swap the grill for a black optics one... I think Alum optics spoilers w/ back grill looks like a perfect combo.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats and great to hear that you are happy with your purchase gregtay.

Ultimately, that's all that matters!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Alister
Congrats and great to hear that you are happy with your purchase gregtay.

Ultimately, that's all that matters!
Ordered a coupe. Do not need 3 cabs. Would have been very tempted if it were a hard top cab but cloth just does not interest me
Old 11-03-2014, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

After having the cab for just over a week now I can report that I couldn't be happier. I've already driven it through a few rain storms and had a few top down days. Love this thing... quiet daily driver when needed.. and then when you want you can let the monster come out to play. Absolutely love it. As far as it being a cab vs. the coupe... sure.. I am guessing it is "slower" but since i don't compare the cars back to back every day you would never know (I am certainly not going to call it 'slow'.) Some people think every RS5 is "slow" compared to cars with more torque, but for me it's almost perfect. I love the smooth application of the power and never feeling like hammering the throttle is going to get you bent out of shape (especially on wet roads.) Plus.. I can send my wife out on wet roads in the RS and she can "just drive" the car.

Cowl shake is minimal.. I've owned a ton of convertibles over the years and yes, if you look for it you will feel a little bit of shake over big bumps but it's minimal and not an issue at all.

I looked at getting a M4, C4S, GTR, new Vet and a few others, but they all had major compromises from what I wanted/needed (but each also offered up unique fun.) For me this car ticked all the boxes that i needed and wanted with very minimal compromises (and my wife happens to love Audis and hates pretty much everything else.. so getting her thumbs up was pretty easy.)