Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 finally can be driven "normally" in Auto mode!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 02:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS5 finally can be driven "normally" in Auto mode!

Enjoy my RS5 since one month, and I am very happy when driving it "actively". Still a pity there is no manual gearbox, but ok, the S-tronic is already better than the S-tronic in the A5/S5 (e.g., the RS5 S-tronic will NOT upshift or Kickdown in Manual!).

When cruising through town or elsewhere, it is however still far from perfect, in fact it is very annoying to drive in either automatic S-tronic mode :-(

In Dynamic (S) mode, it makes way too many revs (it upshifts above 4-5K rpm, too noisy to cruise, very nervous, only good for speeding).

In Auto/Comfort (D) mode, it makes way too less revs (it upshifst around 1,5-2K rpm) so not enough torque, and again no comfortable driving.

Result: most of the time I drive in Manual mode, which is more relaxed than D or S mode, because you can have the optimal torque in every situation, without driving to nervous.

But now I found the solution: via VCDS (see here) I configured the Efficience (E) mode, and surprisingly this is the best Auto mode for the RS5 S-tronic! :-)

In E(fficiency) mode, the S-tronic upshifts around 3K rpm, which is ideal for cruising downtown or B-roads, and the same I did in Manual mode.

So finally a S-tronic mode which makes it possible to drive the RS5 also in Auto mode in "normal" situations.

I am still looking if it is possible to find a way to get only the gearbox/engine to be in E-mode, and steering, suspension, sport diff, ACC, etc in different (Dynamic/Comfort/etc) mode. Pity that Efficiency does not appear under the Individual options of Drive Select, so now you have to go Efficiency for ALL components, or not.

:-8
Old 08-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

my RS5 cabriolet is still on order.
will the VCDS lite software make these changes to Efficiency mode or is the full package required? also, which dongle did you use?
Old 08-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

WIERS5 - I agree with your description and frustration of shifting modes. I read the info on the link. Did you access the "hidden" menu by pushing simultaneous buttons (car/menu) in MMI? Based on the link, if using hidden menu, not following how to get to the "Efficiency" settings/mode that you described. Any help appreciated.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by oneyeblind
my RS5 cabriolet is still on order.
will the VCDS lite software make these changes to Efficiency mode or is the full package required? also, which dongle did you use?
When you have ADS (which is standard in a RS5) you only need to change Channel 66 (add 32 to any number which is there already) of Module 09.

I have the original VAGCOM cable (USB)and software.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by broudav
WIERS5 - I agree with your description and frustration of shifting modes. I read the info on the link. Did you access the "hidden" menu by pushing simultaneous buttons (car/menu) in MMI? Based on the link, if using hidden menu, not following how to get to the "Efficiency" settings/mode that you described. Any help appreciated.
Did not go into the hidden menu at all.

When you have ADS (which is standard in a RS5) you only need to change Channel 66 (add 32 to any number which is there already) of Module 09, this can be done by VCDS and a right cable.