Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 Needs new Brakes at 9100 miles????

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I've not had that problem with any M3. Ima just sayin'

Originally Posted by Wisceric
I am in the same boat with my S6 with less than 4000 miles on my brakes. Dealer says blue lines= overheating as can be seen with aggressive driving. I think this is absurd. I had a S4 for 3 years with no brake problems. Contacted AofA, but they agreed with the dealer's assessment.
And I own an S6, an A5, and an M3. For that matter I haven't had any problem with the S6 or the A5.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the same problem twice. I got a little lucky though, my dealer replaced my rotors and pads under warranty when I was at 11k. They are required to replace it if you are under 12k... at least in New Jersey. This brake situation is complete bs... When I got to 15k, I started to experience the same brake issues. Now they're pretending as if it's our fault. It's clearly happening prematurely. For owners that don't even beat the crap out of their cars on the track(I don't track mine), this shouldn't even be a possibility. Point is, Audi made these low grade component brakes for a high grade component car. And now they want to turn a blind-eye to us RS5 owners and pretend as if it's regular wear and tear.

Audi needs to own up to this. They need to issue a recall and replace our rotors regardless of mileage with new and updated rotors/pads (at least once) built with better/stronger heat-resistant components. And if they don't want to own up to it... I think us RS5 owners should file a class action lawsuit.

Regardless if we're able to or not, who really wants to pay $2500+ every 4k miles? Just my .02

Also OP, if you don't want to deal with Audi's garbage customer service/dealers. I highly suggest replacing your current brakes with the OEM RS5 carbon ceramic brake kit which is what I am doing. I got an amazing deal for mine and they'll last me 100k+ miles before I have to change them since I don't track my RS5. Or if you want to stick to a similar stock setup, you can do Hawk pads and ECS 2-piece rotors! Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I can understand how frustrating this is for affected owners. A car is only as good as its brakes! I'm not buying into the theory that these brakes are of poor quality, though, based on my personal experience and many others that don't experience these issues.

They do have their limits. For example they don't stand up to the abuse of a weekend on the track or repeated high-speed braking w/o having enough time to cool in between. That's what the carbon ceramic brakes are for. But they had no issues rapidly slowing down my car from the 174 mph top speed as I had to do repeatedly during my 4000 miles in Germany, as inattentive drivers pulled in front of me at significantly slower speeds. Unfortunately, the i-don't-care-about-cars millennials are dragging down the average driving discipline in Germany from what it used to be. The brakes also survived a few runs on the Nurburgring and regular canyon carving state side. At about 24k miles, the front pads were worn. Also, this car is my daily driver.

I took this as an opportunity to put aftermarket rotors and pads on, but not because I had issues with the OEM brakes. I felt like an upgrade and some less dusty pads and the fact that the ECS rotors are cheaper didn't hurt.

I'm starting to notice that many who experience these issues are not driving the car harder than they would a Prius it seems. Basically using it as a commuter car. The thing is these brakes are performance brakes and you need to gradually get heat into them in order for the pads to evenly transfer pad material onto the rotor. If they never get hot enough, the pads will scrape directly against the metal and can get glazed over time, or if you heat them too quickly as happens during emergency braking w/o proper prior bedding you will get uneven transfer and heat spots on the rotor.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My rotors were replaced free at 18000 miles by the dealer. I did have to buy pads though. Last week I was in for the 25K service and my advisor said they were having a rash of RS5's needing rotors replaced. They just measure the runout and then replace if it exceeds specs. No fuss no muss.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

+1 try Pembroke Pines. Don't use a GPS to get there, their postal address is WEST of the Sawgrass, their real entrance is "to" their BMW half, about 1/2 mile EAST of the Sawgrass.

I would call Audi America and let them know you are going there, and what kind of fool that other dealer tried to play you for. And that if Audi doesn't think this is a warranty repair...they might want to read the state and federal warranty laws again.

Ride around the block to cool down a street car after street use....these are the reasons why phone calls and conversations need to be recorded more often. Which fortunately is easy these days.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2014 RS5 Brakes

I have the same issue purchased a 2014 Pre-Owned Certified Dealer Audi RS5 and I'm at 13K miles, it just started to shutter hitting normal braking levels at 60-70 miles an hour... Never tracked before and drive mostly conservatively.

My dealer first called and said the same thing $2001.00 to fix front pads and roters... I argued... then found these articles and the dealer actually called back and agreed to replace them under warranty.

Why are these brakes so bad, can anyone recommend a solid upgrade path to get off factory stock RS5 brakes - to something more reliable?

Thanks, -Shane (Austin, TX)

*Special thanks for my dealer for stepping up to the plate to help.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I wouldn't expect shuddering to be caused by the brake pads. That's normally the sign of WARPED ROTORS and it is easy to warp rotors, you just have to overheat them to do that. Or, torque the wheel bolts incorrectly. Of course I'm sure that no Audi dealership would ever do that...just because almost everyone else seems to. (sigh)

Pads and rotors always involve trade-offs. If you don't want warping problems, your best bet is to buy a decent torque wrench (not a $29.99 special) and actually use , retorquing the bolts. Or, to let the shop that touches your wheels know that you want to personally SEE that the mechanic is torqueing them down properly. To see that the proper setting or tool is used. Not such a crazy thing to ask, no matter who tells you otherwise.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just had my RS5 rotors and pads replaced at 10K...

...Extreme brake shuddering traced to warped rotors - Pads and rotors replaced under warrantee (Audi Pacific). There has been a technical bulletin on this - a bunch of warped rotors left the factory.

I will stay with OEM through this round. Other than this incident, my brakes have been fine and fade free, even after long canyon runs. Can't comment on track use. Can't say the same for our S4 which gets wonky after a long canyon session.

happy New Year

Eric