Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 Needs new Brakes at 9100 miles????

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RS5 Needs new Brakes at 9100 miles????

I bought my 2014 RS5 at the end of May of last year. Yesterday I felt a slight wobble on the wheel under braking around 70mph. I immediately took it to the dealer, thinking it was because the wheel bolts were loose. As soon as the service advisor walked out to the car he saw some blue marks on the front brakes. He immediately turned and told me the brakes had overheat and were not cooled off properly. So I asked him if it was under warranty, he told me no and that it will be 2500 bucks to replace them. So I had them make sure the lug nuts were tight and I left. After a while and some research on forums, turns out that there is a very high possibility that the pads might have gotten stuck and I didn't notice. Some RS5 owners have reported that the brakes seem to get stuck after rain or washing the car. At first it thought it was the rear parking brake coming loose. So I decided to wash the car and test this... Next morning after starting the car and letting it warm up I put in drive and set off and I hear a clonk coming from the front wheels. So thereby I concluded that maybe the front pads are getting stuck. Now I contacted the dealer and they maintain that it is because after driving the car I don't let the brakes cool. They tell me that every time I drive the car I have to do multiple laps around the block slowly to let the brakes cool.... Which I find absurd because these a road car, not a track only car!!!! I have never owned a road car that I have to do cool down laps after driving it. The dealer is saying that its wear and tear, and its caused due to hard driving. Which I also find absurd because I know 2013 RS5s in California which get driven harder than mine and their brakes seem to last 30k miles. How can I possibly work the brakes enough in a Miami where all roads are straight and where the highest mountain is in a golf course. Also the Service Assistant tells me he has multiple 2014 RS5 come in like this, its very hard to believe that multiple 2014 RS5 all get driven hard in Miami, and all wear out their brakes around 8-9k miles. So it hasn't it raised the possibility that the brakes in this car have come defective from factory???? One or two cars with this is believable but multiple presumably around 10 according to the service assistant. Please Audi of America open your eyes. We need to bring this to attention because a car that is engineered correctly should destroy its brakes discs in 9k miles.

I will upload so pictures of the brakes later today.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your dealer sounds ridiculous. I am also in South Florida (albeit in an S4) and can't imagine why anyone in any car would need to do laps around the block to cool off brakes after normal daily driving. I have been considering an RS5 and have run across multiple threads in the forums regarding defective / need to prematurely replace brakes - I'm sure someone else with experience will chime in.

I do not like either dealer in Miami if you took it to either one. Perhaps give Pembroke Pines a try (unless of course that's where you took it).
Old 05-14-2015, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Continuing the discussion here. Are you the same person as audi_rs5_ on Audizine? You most likely have a stuck or misaligned caliper. Under normal operation, the brake pads ever so slightly touch the rotor, but no pressure is being applied. This keeps water and debris off the rotor and warms the brakes up to normal operating temperature. To turn a rotor blue with normal driving, assuming you've never tracked the car, one or more pads have to constantly apply pressure to the rotors in order to heat them up to the point where they turn blue (700ish degrees fahrenheit) or you have to constantly be riding the brakes. Once you have hot spots like that, the rotors can crack in those areas and the metal has changed its properties.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Continuing the discussion here. Are you the same person as audi_rs5_ on Audizine? You most likely have a stuck or misaligned caliper. Under normal operation, the brake pads ever so slightly touch the rotor, but no pressure is being applied. This keeps water and debris off the rotor and warms the brakes up to normal operating temperature. To turn a rotor blue with normal driving, assuming you've never tracked the car, one or more pads have to constantly apply pressure to the rotors in order to heat them up to the point where they turn blue (700ish degrees fahrenheit) or you have to constantly be riding the brakes. Once you have hot spots like that, the rotors can crack in those areas and the metal has changed its properties.
yes I am that me
Old 05-17-2015, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Def. sounds like you're getting the run around. I would never go back to that dealer. Try a different one out in the area. I have a 2013 RS5 w/18k. I don't think the braking system is different from2014? Anyways o live in ****ty Ohio and drive the thing daily in rain snow sleet ice flood plains rivers I mean our weather sucks here. Never on problem with brakes.. Actually brakes like a champ. No cooling down period what so ever. I do experience them getting "stuck" after being wet but I just pull out and they un stick then I will accelerate and brake hard a couple times to get the rust off and I'm good to go. I would agree with the other guy it's probably a malfunction with the caliper as there is not a a lot of room for error on those tight brakes. That is not user error and warranty needs to cover that. I would bitch for years before I pay 2500 on a car with 9k miles!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

+1, 40k on my 2013 RS5 and no brake issues. Like Ohio, here in ND we get lots of different weather.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default I have waited a little bit to chine in here

I bought a RS4 new in 07 and there were several RS4 owners who were in the same boat with their brakes at under 10k miles. In the time that has passed it seems hard to pin down but obviously driving style is the main factor but mechanical issues could be a factor. I put Centric pads on my RS for the low dust factor and have 36k miles with lots of material left on the pads.

Not sure on the RS5 but the RS4 pad sensors did not work right and many lost their rotors as well as needing new pads.

Thought I believe mfrs should design brakes to last longer I also believe in personal responsibility and feel it is a issue we need to monitor on our own cars.

Good luck with resolution of this issue.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am in the same boat with my S6 with less than 4000 miles on my brakes. Dealer says blue lines= overheating as can be seen with aggressive driving. I think this is absurd. I had a S4 for 3 years with no brake problems. Contacted AofA, but they agreed with the dealer's assessment.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Audi won't help you and NHTSA probably neither...

Originally Posted by knightriderRS5
I bought my 2014 RS5 at the end of May of last year. Yesterday I felt a slight wobble on the wheel under braking around 70mph. I immediately took it to the dealer, thinking it was because the wheel bolts were loose. As soon as the service advisor walked out to the car he saw some blue marks on the front brakes. He immediately turned and told me the brakes had overheat and were not cooled off properly. So I asked him if it was under warranty, he told me no and that it will be 2500 bucks to replace them. So I had them make sure the lug nuts were tight and I left. After a while and some research on forums, turns out that there is a very high possibility that the pads might have gotten stuck and I didn't notice. Some RS5 owners have reported that the brakes seem to get stuck after rain or washing the car. At first it thought it was the rear parking brake coming loose. So I decided to wash the car and test this... Next morning after starting the car and letting it warm up I put in drive and set off and I hear a clonk coming from the front wheels. So thereby I concluded that maybe the front pads are getting stuck. Now I contacted the dealer and they maintain that it is because after driving the car I don't let the brakes cool. They tell me that every time I drive the car I have to do multiple laps around the block slowly to let the brakes cool.... Which I find absurd because these a road car, not a track only car!!!! I have never owned a road car that I have to do cool down laps after driving it. The dealer is saying that its wear and tear, and its caused due to hard driving. Which I also find absurd because I know 2013 RS5s in California which get driven harder than mine and their brakes seem to last 30k miles. How can I possibly work the brakes enough in a Miami where all roads are straight and where the highest mountain is in a golf course. Also the Service Assistant tells me he has multiple 2014 RS5 come in like this, its very hard to believe that multiple 2014 RS5 all get driven hard in Miami, and all wear out their brakes around 8-9k miles. So it hasn't it raised the possibility that the brakes in this car have come defective from factory???? One or two cars with this is believable but multiple presumably around 10 according to the service assistant. Please Audi of America open your eyes. We need to bring this to attention because a car that is engineered correctly should destroy its brakes discs in 9k miles.

I will upload so pictures of the brakes later today.

Go to NHTSA and file a complaint. Online. Enough, and maybe there is a recall.
One more thing..Miami is notorious salt laden atmosphere, there may be issues there. You could also try another Audi dealer, some service writers are less than helpful. My service manager gets a bottle of Macallan every Xmas...
Old 05-23-2015, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a bunch of BS. It's an RS car and it is meant to be driven hard......Audi should cover the replacement. They are growing and are going to end up shooting themselves in the foot. They still have not fixed the issue with their DRC (dynamic ride control) as that system fails early on on the RS6, RS4, and any other RS who's owner chooses that option. If the brakes can't handle the rest of the car then WTF?

Mike

Quick Reply: RS5 Needs new Brakes at 9100 miles????