Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 MT has "hesitation" at steady 40MPH

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 MT has "hesitation" at steady 40MPH

I have a 2014 S5 MT and love it. But there is one nagging thing that the dealer does not feel, but I do. It does not do it in neutral so I am pretty sure it has something to do with the engine or drivetrain. And it has done it probably since the car was new so it just might be "the way it is", but figured this was a good place to ask.

The best description is if you are going down a road at a steady 40MPH in say 4th gear (I never feel this at say 65MPH or while accelerating....) I notice random "hesitations" at various times. Now not major where you see the RPM dip, and certainly no engine codes, but it is there but subtle.

Like a small rumble strip affects the fly-by-wire accelerator or something. Or the drivetrain engages and re-engages? Or engine vibrates slightly? I think, it does it more when the engine is cold.

I even tried putting the cruise control on to make sure my foot was not going crazy! Same feeling and more obvious when your foot is not on the gas.

Just a little annoyance, and I know a little off the wall, but curious if anyone else has felt this.

Thanks,
BJBBJB
Old 12-05-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BJBBJB
I have a 2014 S5 MT and love it. But there is one nagging thing that the dealer does not feel, but I do. It does not do it in neutral so I am pretty sure it has something to do with the engine or drivetrain. And it has done it probably since the car was new so it just might be "the way it is", but figured this was a good place to ask.

The best description is if you are going down a road at a steady 40MPH in say 4th gear (I never feel this at say 65MPH or while accelerating....) I notice random "hesitations" at various times. Now not major where you see the RPM dip, and certainly no engine codes, but it is there but subtle.

Like a small rumble strip affects the fly-by-wire accelerator or something. Or the drivetrain engages and re-engages? Or engine vibrates slightly? I think, it does it more when the engine is cold.

I even tried putting the cruise control on to make sure my foot was not going crazy! Same feeling and more obvious when your foot is not on the gas.

Just a little annoyance, and I know a little off the wall, but curious if anyone else has felt this.

Thanks,
BJBBJB
i also have a 2014 S5 with manual trans. my first guess would be rpms are too low but you said they don't appear to dip so I don't know what it might be. I have only noticed something similar as the rpms decline before downshift.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply! Like that red... Anyway, no, this is not on downshift. Steady-state at lower MPH, it did it today a lot at 40MPH in 4th. But it is so subtle you don't see the RPM needle budge.

I talked to a long-time audi owner "car guy" that I trust and he said he's noticed it in some of his Audis but they never figured out what it was.

The only clue I have is it seems to do it more when it is "cold" or even after sitting for an hour.

BJBBJB
Old 12-17-2014, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BJBBJB
Thanks for the reply! Like that red... Anyway, no, this is not on downshift. Steady-state at lower MPH, it did it today a lot at 40MPH in 4th. But it is so subtle you don't see the RPM needle budge.

I talked to a long-time audi owner "car guy" that I trust and he said he's noticed it in some of his Audis but they never figured out what it was.

The only clue I have is it seems to do it more when it is "cold" or even after sitting for an hour.

BJBBJB
that's odd, not sure what that would be then. one solution is drive faster!