Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 Seats Killing me... Need Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 Seats Killing me... Need Options

I have a 2014 S5 that I have owned for about 1 year. Love the car, but my hips are just wide enough that the sport seats put a lot of pressure on my hips. After 4 hours or so of driving, I have to get out of the car, and even a daily commute has me hobbling away from the car for the first few steps. I need to do something, and it seems that buying the A5 seats and storing the S5 seats until I sell the car someday, might be my best option. I love to drive, and being limited this way just stinks. Has anyone ever done anything like this? Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 11-23-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

That's funny because when I first got my A5, I hated the seats too and folks on the audi forums all say that the sport seats on the S5 are better. I've gotten more used to it now that it's been almost two years.

Where do you live Paul? Maybe we can do a swap! hehehe
Old 11-23-2014, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not wide, but the seats in my 2012 S5 are not that comfortable. In fact, my 1987 944 has more comfortable seats for long drives, like my 6 hour drive to Watkins Glen.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys. Yeah, it's definitely an anatomy thing. I'm a little surprised as I am not particular huge (5'11", 200 pounds), but the seats definitely don't work for me. I may just have to buy the standard A5 seats and store the sport seats until I see the car someday.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sportcruiser
Thanks guys. Yeah, it's definitely an anatomy thing. I'm a little surprised as I am not particular huge (5'11", 200 pounds), but the seats definitely don't work for me. I may just have to buy the standard A5 seats and store the sport seats until I see the car someday.
... sell the car...
Old 11-24-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Now that's interesting. I'm 5'11" and about 200 lbs as well and the seat doesn't touch my hip at all. The side bolsters support my body at about the height of my lower back. Nothing touches my hips. I've done many long road trips. Just did 750 miles last Tuesday in one day, 12 hours of actual driving time with about a 100 miles or so mountainous twisty fun getting pushed into the seats. Of course I took breaks along the way to stretch my legs and nourish my body. I find these seats very comfortable. I do take full advantage of the adaptive cruise control on long trips, though, so I can change my position regularly and relax my legs.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by superswiss
Now that's interesting. I'm 5'11" and about 200 lbs as well and the seat doesn't touch my hip at all. The side bolsters support my body at about the height of my lower back. Nothing touches my hips. I've done many long road trips. Just did 750 miles last Tuesday in one day, 12 hours of actual driving time with about a 100 miles or so mountainous twisty fun getting pushed into the seats. Of course I took breaks along the way to stretch my legs and nourish my body. I find these seats very comfortable. I do take full advantage of the adaptive cruise control on long trips, though, so I can change my position regularly and relax my legs.
I guess I have wide hips! Glad it's working out for you.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I guess I have wide hips! Glad it's working out for you.
Would be nice if these seats had adjustable side bolsters. But without them looks like your only choice is to trade your car in for an A5 or install the A5 seats. I would look into the A5 sport seats. They are not as constraining, but still provide support.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

My solution is to have sex 3x a day. If after a year the seats still bother you, trade for another car.

WARNING: over 3x a day can void your warranty!

Best

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 11-25-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
My solution is to have sex 3x a day. If after a year the seats still bother you, trade for another car.

WARNING: over 3x a day can void your warranty!

Best
I'm not sure how reducing my sexual activity will help my car seat.

Quick Reply: S5 Seats Killing me... Need Options