Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 Tiptronic Shift Characteristics

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 Tiptronic Shift Characteristics

I've had my S5 for a couple of months now and have a question about the shift characteristics.

This is kind of hard to explain, but I've noticed some "uneven" shifting when accelerating from a full stop. At a very conservative level of acceleration (throttle input around 10% maybe?) the transmission shifts very smoothly. I get the same when I accelerate aggressively. It shifts quickly and smoothly.

However, at a mid-throttle, medium acceleration (shift points in the 3K range?) there's an odd oscillation at the shift points. The transmission shifts and the RPM's drop for about a half second, but, then the RPM's jump up about 500 to 700 briefly before settling into the expected range. It's like I am "blipping" the throttle right after the shift.

I've got about 1400 miles on the car now and it seems to have smoothed out a bit, but I was wondering if that behavior is normal? Can those shift settings be tuned?

I don't have the sport diff or dynamic drive, by the way, so I don't have any way to change the setting myself.

Matt
Old 01-15-2012, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AcuraToAudi
I've had my S5 for a couple of months now and have a question about the shift characteristics.

This is kind of hard to explain, but I've noticed some "uneven" shifting when accelerating from a full stop. At a very conservative level of acceleration (throttle input around 10% maybe?) the transmission shifts very smoothly. I get the same when I accelerate aggressively. It shifts quickly and smoothly.

However, at a mid-throttle, medium acceleration (shift points in the 3K range?) there's an odd oscillation at the shift points. The transmission shifts and the RPM's drop for about a half second, but, then the RPM's jump up about 500 to 700 briefly before settling into the expected range. It's like I am "blipping" the throttle right after the shift.

I've got about 1400 miles on the car now and it seems to have smoothed out a bit, but I was wondering if that behavior is normal? Can those shift settings be tuned?

I don't have the sport diff or dynamic drive, by the way, so I don't have any way to change the setting myself.

Matt
I've seen the same behavior in "comfort" mode on the ADS. Solution: Dynamic or manual mode
Old 01-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ludedude
I've seen the same behavior in "comfort" mode on the ADS. Solution: Dynamic or manual mode
Wish I had the Dynamic option, but I didn't order my S5 with Drive Select. I have tried shifting manually with the flappy paddles and you are right - manual mode eliminates the issue. I just don't always want to shift manually.

I'm thinking about looking into software tuning options.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I recall reading somewhere that you can use VCDS to put the car into dynamic mode (save the diff or shock settings of course). Of course it's not dash selectable but even on cars without ADS the car has the ability to use the steering wheel and throttle/trans settings via the ECU. Might be worth a look.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Isn't Sport mode essentially the same as non-ADS dynamic mode?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Subfixer
Isn't Sport mode essentially the same as non-ADS dynamic mode?
Sport mode changes the timing of gear shifts, much like dynamic mode. I've had the same shifting "problem" on my last three tiptronic Audis (A6 2.7t, A8 4.2, S5 4.2). Guess I'm use to it by now!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AcuraToAudi

Matt
Just purchased a 2012 Certified S5. I have this exact issue. Also, when I'm going down hill and want to slow the car by manually downshifting, the car "surges" for a split second before holding back.

I'm surprised I don't see much about these issues on this forum unless I'm just not using the correct search terms.

Taking mine to the service department to have it looked at soon.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check with Audi. There is a software update that might address your issue. I had similar, but not exactly the same problem, and the update provided some improvement. However, you're likely to have to pay for this upgrade, its not part of normal service or covered by Audi's warranty.