Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 versus A5 - differences worth the cost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 versus A5 - differences worth the cost?

I've been on the fence regarding whether or not I should put the extra money into my pending new car purchase and go with the S5 over the A5 and I'm looking for some advice. Other than the white paper data, I've been unable to find a good, comprehensive comparison of the two vehicles since the 2013 facelift changed the S5's engine. Has anyone else been in my situation? If so, how did you decide?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a tough decision. I wanted the V8 so I bought a 2012 S5. The S5 is not my daily driver. I would have bought the A5 if I wanted a daily driver.

When I bought my A4 as a daily driver long ago, I deliberated whether the V6 was worth the premium over the 1.8T. I went with the 1.8T, added an APR chip, and remain convinced over 9 years of ownership that I made the correct choice.

Both the A5 and S5 are rare on the streets. I doubt that most people (besides us Audi guys) know the difference between the two.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I looked at the APR chip for the 2.0T and it is impressive. I may have to join that Beakerz guy in admiring the torque from the 2.0T.

Stage 1 APR for 2.0T from APR website:

Not only does our Stage I ECU Upgrade give you higher peak numbers of 234 horsepower and 333lb-ft. of torque, but also gains of up to 40 horsepower and 71lb-ft are available throughout the power band! APR's ECU Upgrade is the best power per dollar modification for the new 2.0 TFSI Valve Lift and gives it just the extra edge these cars lack from the factory without pushing the limits. With factory like smoothness and drivability APR's ECU Upgrade will fill the void in an otherwise excellent car..
Old 06-09-2012, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Test drive them both and decide for yourself.

In March, I tested an A5 and also tested an S4 and S5. The A5 felt refined and drove great but I wanted something with more *****. The S4 had better throttle response than the S5 but the S5 was a more attractive car. However, now the S5 has that V6 motor, thus giving it that same throttle response. I will take delivery of my S5 sometime in mid to late August.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I should add that I lease all my vehicles through my company - so chipping my cars, or modding them, is not an option.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:14 AM
DHS
AudiWorld Member

I went through the same analysis earlier this year, only for a pre-owned vehicle. I was mostly attracted to the A5 out of concern that the V8 in the S5 would suck every dollar out of my pocket in gas. I put on around 27k miles per year, so the difference in economy is not insignificant. Ultimately, and because I had never owned a V8, I went with the S5. I also discovered that the used prices between the A5 and S5 for the same years was remarkably small if you compare the S-line version the the S5. Literally within a few grand or less.
So I found a gorgeous '09 red on black S5 with just under 22k miles. It has every option available that year and stickered for about $62K, I think. I paid $42k, and that is for an Audi CPO warranty as well.
Regarding the gas mileage, I am getting about 25-26mpg on the highway, driving under 70mph. I get in the low 20's in mixed driving. But in town, stop and go, it is probably low teens.
I know that you can go to APR or others to boost the A5 engine. But it will not be the same as the V8. In the last 12 yers I have put a total of 400,000 miles on an '09 A4 1.8 and '01 S4 with the biturbo. I also spent a week in a'10 S4 with the new turbo V6. Each had a beautiful and capable engine. But there is just something about the V8, beyond the intoxicating exhaust note. The V8 is "honest" power. No bells. No whistles. Not whining turbos. No lag. Just power. I am very happy to be in the S5, which also has a drop-dead gorgeous interior. The seats fit me like they were made for me.
No matter what you get, you will love it. But before you pull the trigger on a big dollar A5, which you can not chip due to you circumstanes, seriously consider a pre-owned S5. Happy trails.
David
Old 06-09-2012, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Same here.

Originally Posted by dmbcrew36
Test drive them both and decide for yourself.

In March, I tested an A5 and also tested an S4 and S5. The A5 felt refined and drove great but I wanted something with more *****. The S4 had better throttle response than the S5 but the S5 was a more attractive car. However, now the S5 has that V6 motor, thus giving it that same throttle response. I will take delivery of my S5 sometime in mid to late August.
Same here. I could never pull the trigger on the 2.0T A5. Just couldn't do it. The wife has a Q5 with the 3.2 that is nice enough power but could not go for the 2.0T in such a nice car.

Hence for 2013 the S5 has come down 3k in price for de-contenting the car of the 4.2, fine nappa leather and 19" rims.
In addition, no more GAS Guzzler tax as the 3.0T supercharged V6 is more fuel efficient. All these factors make the S5 a no brainer for me over an A5. As an A5 prestige can run around 50K and I have a base S5 with B&O and 19" on order for $52k including loyalty.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I won't be leasing so chipping the 2.0T is certainly an option for me but I haven't really thought about it. Last year I placed an order for an A5 but the tsunami in Japan took out Audi's dealer for the Titanium wheels so my order was to be delayed by 6-8 months. Since I knew the facelift was coming this summer, I decided to just wait and cancelled that order. At that time, I decided on the A5 over the S5 based almost purely on gas mileage since this car will be my daily driver. With the V6 replacing the thirsty V8 for 2013, the gas mileage isn't as much of a factor so my decision isn't as easy anymore. As it turns out, this will be my first Audi and I'm trying to make an informed decision so I appreciate the feedback.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=KarlFEvans;24309981

Both the A5 and S5 are rare on the streets. I doubt that most people (besides us Audi guys) know the difference between the two.[/QUOTE]

True. But the BADA$$ Quad exhaust in the S5 tells many plenty!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I love my S5

When I ordered my S5 Cab. last year the decision was easy for me. The S5 is just "Premium" in many ways. My Sport Seats are the best of any car I've ever been in. Period. I love the quality & cool look of the side aluminumized mirrors. My supercharged V-6 has zero lag and tons of power with great gas mileage. One awesome engine design.
When I summed it up I thought it's not every day you order an Audi Cabriolet...............why not get the premium model ?? The best of the best, so to speak.

Quick Reply: S5 versus A5 - differences worth the cost?