Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Should I take Extended Warranty on A5 Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I take Extended Warranty on A5 Cab?

I have a 2013 A5 quattro Cabriolet and it is almost out of warranty--currently at 49,700 miles. Love the car and have driven approx. 20K miles per year, though this amount is likely to go down a little. Should I take an extended warranty? Best prices I have been quoted for Fidelity Extended Warranty (Platinum plan) are the following:

With $100 deductible
4 yr / 48K - $4467.00
4 yr / 60K - $5227.00 ($3914.00 w/ $250 deductible)
5 yr / 60K - $5619.00

Fidelity Platinum w/ $250 deductible
2 yr / 24K - $2166.00
3 yr / 36K - $2796.00
4 yr / 48K - $3671.00
5 yr / 60K - $4554.00

I love the car and basically it's been fine--have had some problems with MMI, Nav and Bluetooth dropping calls. Would probably take the 4 year/60K plan but it's over $4500 with a $250 deductible.

What is likely to go between 50K and 100K miles? Does it make sense to take the extended warranty, or hope for the best?
Old 07-25-2015, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very personal decision and everyone feels differently when it comes to extended warranties. Too many variables to give a one answer fits all.

Will this give you peace of mind going forward?
Are you financially fit to save the $4500 and trade the car in for a new one should you require an expensive repair? Afterall, $4500 + $1000 loyalty and sales tax savings of your trade in, could approach $8 to 9K plus whatever trade-in value of your 2013 towards a new '16,'17 or 2018.

I personally own a '13 S5 and would never consider an extended warranty. But that's me and others feel and sleep better knowing they're covered if an expensive repair should pop up after factory warranty expires. I'd keep a very close eye on the required services, do most myself and find an honest indy to help me with more detailed repairs if needed.

If a well serviced/maintained Audi can't make it to 100K miles without serious work, it might be time to change to another brand.

Last edited by lmariorod; 07-25-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lmariorod
This is a very personal decision and everyone feels differently when it comes to extended warranties. Too many variables to give a one answer fits all.

Will this give you peace of mind going forward?
Are you financially fit to save the $4500 and trade the car in for a new one should you require an expensive repair? Afterall, $4500 + $1000 loyalty and sales tax savings of your trade in, could approach $8 to 9K plus whatever trade-in value of your 2013 towards a new '16,'17 or 2018.

I personally own a '13 S5 and would never consider an extended warranty. But that's me and others feel and sleep better knowing they're covered if an expensive repair should pop up after factory warranty expires. I'd keep a very close eye on the required services, do most myself and find an honest indy to help me with more detailed repairs if needed.

If a well serviced/maintained Audi can't make it to 100K miles without serious work, it might be time to change to another brand.
Thank you for your feedback! Has anyone bought an extended warranty and been GLAD they did? What kind of major repairs could be needed as an Audi ages--and would it come close to $5000 cost?
Old 07-25-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are these dealer quotes?

Originally Posted by WGAudi
...Best prices I have been quoted for Fidelity Extended Warranty...
They seem like the bloated prices my dealer tried to charge me when I paid for my car. I decided against an extended warranty because of the expense, the limited coverage, and poor online customer reviews of Fidelity.

By all means, contact Fidelity directly from their website and request a quote before you buy coverage from the dealer. You'll find that it's much cheaper to eliminate the dealer-middleman; you might save as much as 40%. That's what I discovered when I emailed Fidelity for a quote on a 4-year Platinum Policy with a $250 deductible.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can't buy from Fidelity directly, but you can buy at discounted prices from FD-Warranty that sells the same Fidelity warranty as your local Audi dealer. (The site is run by a dealership group that includes an Audi dealership.). I am pretty sure you need to purchase from them before your factory warranty runs out, though.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There are many warranty companies out there. Fidelity doesn't get good reviews, but some do. It's a tough decision you will have to make yourself.

I'm in a similar boat. I expect to take delivery next month on my 2016 SQ5. I can't wait!
I have been researching extending warranties to see what my options are. So far, I haven't decided if I will purchase or not.

Here is one company that had many good reviews and also what they have quoted me. They may be a good option for a second quote.

Wanted Auto Protect

2016 Audi SQ5 with 0 miles.
Ultimate Package:
3 years or an additional 45,000 miles for $1,550.00 with a $100 deductible
5 years or an additional 100,000 miles for $2,300.00 with a $100 deductible.

--- Our coverage will begin once the factory warranty expires.

Terms and Conditions:
http://www.wantedautoprotect.com/ServiceAgreement.pdf
Service Agreement - Wanted Auto Protect
Old 07-25-2015, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Right you are!

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
You can't buy from Fidelity directly, but you can buy at discounted prices from FD-Warranty that sells the same Fidelity warranty as your local Audi dealer...
Thanks for the correction. It's been over a year since I researched the extended warranty and I've forgotten some details. Also, I deleted their email response and was unable to use that as a source.

For OP: Factory Discount Warranty

Last edited by HamOnRye; 07-25-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I can help

Hi,
I am new to the forums, I recently bought a 2014 Audi S5. I saw that you were talking about extended warranties for your A5. I am a general manager at a Toyota dealership in Pennsylvania. I would be more then happy to get you a quote on a warranty as my dealership sells fidelity warranties on our vehicles. It doesn't do anything for me personally but helps our objectives with fidelity and Toyota. If you want send me a message and I would be more then happy to give you the price of the warranty 50 dollars over cost. These are a huge profit maker for dealers so I am sure the prices you got may have hundreds or even thousands of mark up in them. Just trying to lend a hand at least I can give you the true cost of the warranty even if you do not wish to purchase from me. My dealership sells a lot of warranties through fidelity to people around the country, mainly on trucks but all makes non the less. And If you do want to purchase through me my dealership then you get a great price, I will even send you the price sheet showing our dealer cost. We also sell Toyota warranties which are excellent, we sold one 6 months ago to a guy with a e63 amg and it covered his transmission no questions asked.

Thanks!

Matt
Old 07-26-2015, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mcd1427
Hi,
I am new to the forums, I recently bought a 2014 Audi S5. I saw that you were talking about extended warranties for your A5. I am a general manager at a Toyota dealership in Pennsylvania. I would be more then happy to get you a quote on a warranty as my dealership sells fidelity warranties on our vehicles. It doesn't do anything for me personally but helps our objectives with fidelity and Toyota. If you want send me a message and I would be more then happy to give you the price of the warranty 50 dollars over cost. These are a huge profit maker for dealers so I am sure the prices you got may have hundreds or even thousands of mark up in them. Just trying to lend a hand at least I can give you the true cost of the warranty even if you do not wish to purchase from me. My dealership sells a lot of warranties through fidelity to people around the country, mainly on trucks but all makes non the less. And If you do want to purchase through me my dealership then you get a great price, I will even send you the price sheet showing our dealer cost. We also sell Toyota warranties which are excellent, we sold one 6 months ago to a guy with a e63 amg and it covered his transmission no questions asked.

Thanks!

Matt
Thanks Matt. Really appreciate it. What is your dealership tel #? I will call you on Monday. To all who contributed their input--many thanks! FYI the prices above were from FD-Warranty. Have others had good experiences with Troy? He seems very nice.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WGAudi
Thanks Matt. Really appreciate it. What is your dealership tel #? I will call you on Monday. To all who contributed their input--many thanks! FYI the prices above were from FD-Warranty. Have others had good experiences with Troy? He seems very nice.
Yes, I bought two warranties from Troy (one of which I am in the process of canceling because I got rid of the car). In both cases his prices were around 60% of the quotes I received from local dealers.

Quick Reply: Should I take Extended Warranty on A5 Cab?